Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Bureau: XCOM Declassified TPS

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Well, I came to the Codex because I couldn't peacefully say on mainstream forums that XCOM:EU is a crime-against-humanity retarded piece of pigshit without being trolled out of the forum before I could say popamole. And that was a turn-based strategy game.

And here I am, almost afraid to shit on a fucking XCOM console shooter for fear of being trolled out of the Codex. The ancient prophecy is coming true, the age of Kali is dawning.

Is there a super-Codex somewhere I can take refuge in?

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
The ancient prophecy is coming true, the age of Kali is dawning.

I'm watching you.
156y439.jpg

Nowhere is safe

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Well, I came to the Codex because I couldn't peacefully say on mainstream forums that XCOM:EU is a crime-against-humanity retarded piece of pigshit without being trolled out of the forum before I could say popamole. And that was a turn-based strategy game.

And here I am, almost afraid to shit on a fucking XCOM console shooter for fear of being trolled out of the Codex. The ancient prophecy is coming true, the age of Kali is dawning.

You like Heavy Rain bro, popamole Codex is where you belong.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

You like Heavy Rain bro, popamole Codex is where you belong.

angry-you-win-this-time!.png

lightbane

Arcane
I thought they were supposed to dissociate this turd NEXT-GEN TPS game from the X-Com brand. So much for that...

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
Cold War setting and 60s aesthetic = :incline:

2001-style monolith alien = :incline:

But the cover-based popamole gameplay ruins my interest in this game. Don't know why they'd change from first-person to third-person.

Gozma

Arcane
If they managed to slap this together into a Freedom Fighters clone from whatever content they made for the FPS I could probably play it at 20 bucks. I can play that game once every ten years with new production values at 1/3 d1p retail.

If they actually try to do significant permadeath with slapfuck TPS controls in RT I can hardly imagine the quickload slamma jamming

Borelli

Arcane
Fighting against (hopefully) interesting aliens in 60s setting has potiential to be good especially if they don't renege on the whole squad based permadeath. It's not like X-COM has a story to ruin anyway.
I'm still waiting for the alpha centauri fps.
"You are John Spartan something, a Sparta Federation super soldier drop pod marine, you have just popped out of your bioenhancement center, and your base is under attack by evil"
"Sorry to interrupt you boss but AC setting is deep and quite nuanced so there is no clear black and white line"
"Fuck you man this is an FPS now, your base is under attack by the evil mice torturing UNIVERSITY, pew pew pew you fight them back then you jump into your ... into your GRAVSHIP to attack their base singlehandedly but it crashes just like that in the middle of nowhere so you fight the mind worms but these ones are MUTATED so they are like 10m instead of 10cm big, pew pew pew ..." you get the picture

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Interesting. So watching the video it's now basically Mass XCOM Effect, but with more emphasis on tactical of which there was little to none in ME.

Gozma

Arcane
Beh, I'm not mad anymore but interest is nil

They coulda got me with randomized or nonlinear levels and no "main character" that has to be immortal, but I know a set piece corridor made for a AAA audience is gonna be ass, never mind their Don Draper fanfiction

pakoito

Arcane
Patron

5 minutes gameplay. There are true gems in this video: "let me compare this to D&D, one class is a tank, another is the healer and others are DPS", "we like to think of this game like american football where you get to be the coach and the quarterback".

Also: chest-high walls, granade indicator, radial menus.

Mary Sue Leigh

Erudite
X-Com, DnD, American Football, same effin' difference, really!

I am so puzzled trying to find out what the target audience for this is supposed to be..

Insitutionalised mental patients with a bit of nostalgia left? They're not gonna buy this either..

Borelli

Arcane
As a tactical game with third person instead of an isometric camera it is basically inferior to x-com in every possible way, i mean come on you and only 3 other people? Give me a Skyranger worth of troops or don't give me anything.
So all that is left is to look at this game as a more sophisticated cover shooter. Here i think it will excel since it's not hard to be more sophisticated than a cover shooter and because permadeath ahoy!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom