Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Bureau: XCOM Declassified TPS

There are true gems in this video: "let me compare this to D&D, one class is a tank, another is the healer and other are DPS", "we like to think of this game like american football where you get to be the coach and the quarterback".

:lol:

Reminds me of 'think like a general. fight like a spartan!'

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
As a tactical game with third person instead of an isometric camera it is basically inferior to x-com in every possible way, i mean come on you and only 3 other people? Give me a Skyranger worth of troops or don't give me anything.
So all that is left is to look at this game as a more sophisticated cover shooter. Here i think it will excel since it's not hard to be more sophisticated than a cover shooter and because permadeath ahoy!
Rainbow 6 let you have 12 men in 1998.

grdja

Augur
Yes but modern technological limitations are different. Doing just your team of twelve with all the shader and polygon "glory" UE3 could provide would likely choke the console. You don't get that much characters on screen often today in popamole games. Add in a dozen or more enemies and esteemed customer's XBAWKS just bricked itself and burned trough the floor. And really, how can a poor little consumer take care over 12 entire squad members. I mean ffs, you do know that caveman can count only to three and all above that is just "many".

Borelli

Arcane
As a tactical game with third person instead of an isometric camera it is basically inferior to x-com in every possible way, i mean come on you and only 3 other people? Give me a Skyranger worth of troops or don't give me anything.
So all that is left is to look at this game as a more sophisticated cover shooter. Here i think it will excel since it's not hard to be more sophisticated than a cover shooter and because permadeath ahoy!
Rainbow 6 let you have 12 men in 1998.

Fuck yeah, Rogue Spear was awesome, I really need to dig-it out and replay.
I played that game way before i had internet so i have to ask ... what is the general opinion on the stealth levels? Are they :troll: or :love:?

grdja

Augur
Main characters are so much square jawed I think they have to have tried to swallow whole bricks for some reason. Mass Effect "tactical interface" is still there. Art design is still completely schizophrenic, they really tried to copy paste XCOM (the one without the hyphen) and its really at odds with human characters and environments. So aliens and "high tech" gear just stand out, same as UI being eyepoking in how much it doesn't fit in stylistically.

Just to remind everyone about Bioware's originality and conribution to tactical shooters.

Star Wars Republic Commando came out in 2005. and I'm certain similar concepts were seen before that. Hidden And Dangerous 1 maybe?

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
The aesthetic looks sort of crappy, but I am interested in how deep the squad mechanics could go. None of the planning looks all that intricate, but I appreciate that the guy presenting the game sounded like an actual nerd. The world will forget about it soon enough, though.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Looks like mass effect, except less interesting. If such a thing is even possible.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Looks like mass effect, except less interesting. If such a thing is even possible.

It seems that it is.

Anyway I did not understand anything from this trailer except the fact that I will not play it. Or pirate it.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I dig the hat but the action is lacking.

sser

Arcane
Developer
That looks pretty good. I don't see how it compares to Mass Effect at all when ME just had like, what, a handful of skills to use? This seems way more indepth, drawing a lot from the Brothers in Arms series.

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
20 min gameplay video: http://kotaku.com/watch-us-play-the-bureau-its-xcom-with-a-dash-of-mas-812197221

New preview: http://www.destructoid.com/the-bureau-xcom-walks-a-tightrope-of-strategy-and-action-258179.phtml

Sounds like it will be a decent enough game if you don't mind the X-Files + Mass Effect marriage.
It might have been fairly interesting mix of popamole and tactics plus some strategic/economic decisions. Problem is they seem to abandon tactic, strategy and economy, so what is left is popamole exclusive galore. All you do is pick the mission and press the awesome button to win.

So, unless there is something they didn't show it is not even Day_Steam_80%_Sale_Purchase for me. Maybe a demo from our one-eyed friends will convince me, but I doubt.

Psquit

Arcane
Maybe i will pirate the game if Shadowrun end up being horrible horseshit for console.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron

baturinsky

Arcane
No, is because you can probably kill everything with one headshot, making all the tactics and shit completly pointless for a good player.
I_Want_To_Believe.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom