Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview The Codex interviews Vince D. Weller

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Tags: Age of Decadence; Iron Tower; Vault Dweller

I've interviewed Vince about his upcoming RPG Age of Decadence, focusing on the game's development and indie gaming in general. <A HREF="http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=171">Read the article here.</A>
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>
<br>
I've started with the setting, main story overview, and major design elements (character system, combat, multiple ways to handle quests, non-linearity, etc). I didn't do all the quests or ways to solve them, of course. I'm talking about the concept phase here. For example, one way to keep the main quest non-linear is to have multiple factions interested in it. These factions shouldn't want the same thing as that would make your choice of a faction less important. So, they should want different things which would give you different reasons to pursue the main quest and would require you to make very different decisions once you are at the end of your journey. At the same time you can't be sent to several different directions at once, so your final destination should be able to offer and support different outcomes, etc. In other words, you develop the frame of a game first and then fill it in with the actual content. </blockquote>
<br>
<br>
It has some nice information on the development process of the game, and on how they created it. Also some helpful things for people who've toyed with the idea of becoming an indie developer. Enjoy.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Well, it didn't really fit the setting, imo. Besides, I was concerned that finishing people you actually do want dead would become tedious. Not to mention that death animations don't work well with a non-lethal combat system.

Right now most combat encounters are lethal, but every now and then you'll be given a chance to spare your opponent (when it can actually lead to something interesting). Similarly every now and then you won't be killed (see the raiders quest in our "let's play" thread), if that makes sense and fits the situation.

elander_

Arbiter
At this point is probably more productive to go with what is there and finish the game. More features can always be added to a second episode of the game. Now it's time to play this game. ;)

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
It's not a new feature. It's the same feature slightly tweaked. The only difference is what happens when your opponent's HPs hit zero. Is he dead or can he still make it?

Ander Vinz

Scholar
Vault Dweller said:
Right now most combat encounters are lethal, but every now and then you'll be given a chance to spare your opponent (when it can actually lead to something interesting). Similarly every now and then you won't be killed (see the raiders quest in our "let's play" thread), if that makes sense and fits the situation.
Since you game is dialoge-driven it fits better than Gothic 2 partially non-lethal system. Good decision.

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Love the interview, though it lacks a single question. It might be a rather perplexing one...
VD, has it ever occurred to You that You bear a great burden of responsibility upon Your shoulders?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom