Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The codex is full of infinity engine fanboys and apologists

Are the infinity engine games overrated?

• Total voters
Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
True. But that's not the biggest problem the 'Dex faces atm.

Way I see, the biggest problems the 'Dex faces are:

-Critics of Fallout aren't being crushed on sight.
-Critics of ToEE and Jagged Alliance 2 aren't being crushed on sight.

The codex voted Planescape over Fallout, and Baldurs Gate over Temple of Elemental Evil. The codex has shit taste.

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/rpg-codexs-top-50-crpgs-results-and-reviews.89680/

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I'm serious about creating my own codex that's exclusively turn-based RPGs and blobbers.

Yes, I'm sure you are dead srs about this. Thing is, the 'Dex is still the best place to talk about RPGs. And you don't have enough clout to create your own forum. Also, blobbers suck.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I'm serious about creating my own codex that's exclusively turn-based RPGs and blobbers. I need to do some research first though.
Oh please do,and stop spewing retarded shit here.

-There are two many storyfags and not enough combatfags

Our biggest issue.

Like why are people even upset Obsidian got acquired? Bunch of storytards that’s why.

Sheep is right. We need to behead all storytards.
Please don't compare superior Storyfags to that obsidian rabble that call itself fanbase :obviously:!!! Also good luck trying,combatfags are just weak people wanting to boost their self respect!

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Our true enemy is probably the one who said half sensible stuff and half FALSE IDEALS which lure us into believing their FALSE IDEALS because half of their shit are sensible.

In short, this person:
Also, blobbers suck.

(OP qualifies too, btw)

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
infinity engine games are good, can be better with TB, but they were good. overrated? yes, but not bad. kinda like ocarina of time, or FF VII in more mainstream outlets, are they bad games? no. i love them, but are they overrated, there are better games in the similar vein and type to them that did not get much attention? yes.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
The seduction of "Crusader for the Renaissance" is a real thing, and it is dangerous. How many of you has been tempted into false beliefs, enchanted by her charming, strong wymyns tone, and her appeal to your "combatfag" ideals, while in itself promotes decadent thought of not liking first person dungeon crawlers? It is subtle, and you might think it was just her quirk, but by allowing yourself to entertain that idea, you will slowly but surely accept the heresy of disliking first person dungeon crawlers.

First you will let her elaborate her thought. "Okay, let her have her own taste," you said. Then she will start repeating her heretical thought more and more often, and after a while she would only voice her heretical thought. At this point you already consider her as the authority of the house of RPGCodex. Then you will subconsciously alter your opinion to match her thought, to get her attention and loving voice.

In the end, you will become a shell of your former RPG self, only capable of parroting her heretical thought, and needing her to "defend" you against opinion you haven't memorized its counter arguments. Congratulations, at this point you have become the RPG Lemming.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Hey Lilura you know what’s a really good combat/systemfag RPG? +M

Roguey reading those old posts from the before-time, it’s interesting how quickly the Fallout/Torment/Arcanum approach to dialogue became the benchmark. Seeing people from over a decade ago shit on Baldur’s Gate because your stats are (almost) purely about combat, when that’s what stats in CRPGs had always been for... it’s good to see this place has always had ridiculously high standards.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
reading those old posts from the before-time, it’s interesting how quickly the Fallout/Torment/Arcanum approach to dialogue became the benchmark.

Early Codex was Fallout-centric. Fallout was always the benchmark on the 'Dex, and before the 'Dex. You act like it only became that over time. It was always acknowledged as King/GOAT/God-tier (and not for its dialogue; that's peripheral). PS:T doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Fallout and Arcanum. That's disgusting. PS:T is just storyfag shit compared to them.

People who lump PS:T in with Fallout and Arcanum are part of the problem, tbqh.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
reading those old posts from the before-time, it’s interesting how quickly the Fallout/Torment/Arcanum approach to dialogue became the benchmark.

Early Codex was Fallout-centric. Fallout was always the benchmark on the 'Dex, and before the 'Dex. You act like it only became that over time. It was always acknowledged as King/GOAT/God-tier (and not for its dialogue; that's peripheral). PS:T doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Fallout and Arcanum. That's disgusting. PS:T is just storyfag shit compared to them.

People who lump PS:T in with Fallout and Arcanum are part of the problem, tbqh.

...the guy was bitching about the lack of stat based reactivity in dialogue in Baldur’s Gate—consider that the treatment range of my above post; which games are the greatest of all time falls outside of that treatment range. Before Fallout, I don’t know of any CRPGs that used your stats/skills to so dramatically determine what you heard and what you said in dialogue. PS:T may have been the first non-Fallout game to do this; it’s certainly the first D&D CRPG to do this.

So I would’ve thought that, fifteen years ago, there might have been more awareness that a game released in ‘98 would be unlikely to have a feature that was only popularized at the end of ‘97. It’s like complaining that there’s no low INT playthrough for Dark Sun: Shattered Lands. The complaint is somewhat ahistoric, something that should’ve been easier to recognize within a few years of period in question.

Anyway, Lilura, your bot could use some more work. These “X doesn’t deserve to be mentioned in the same breath with Y” posts are getting a little stale. I 100% understand and commend your desire to fully automate your interactions with RPGCodex, but maybe monetize your site to invest in better AI tools?

Zer0wing

Cipher
-Larian and Owl Cat aren't being laughed off stage like they ought to be. To my dismay, a few formerly good posters have declined by jumping onboard. Sadly, I have been forced to add them to my shit-tier poster list.
Classic shitposting disguised as legit post right here.

Owlcat are one of the few islands of good in this "RPG renaissance" sea of shit. As for Larian, criticism only applies to DivOS 1-2, Ego Draconis is dope.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Before Fallout, I don’t know of any CRPGs that used your stats/skills to so dramatically determine what you heard and what you said in dialogue. PS:T may have been the first non-Fallout game to do this; it’s certainly the first D&D CRPG to do this.

No it wasn't. Dark Sun was.

Non-D&D you have a half dozen other games that had dialogue-based skills before Fallout.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
For the record, Shattered Lands is the most innovative and criminally underrated RPG of all time.

Everything that made Fallout and Baldurs Gate popular, it did several years before.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Rosh was no more "people" than Cleve is. Just a delusional, hostile, self-centered old fuck, only representative of him, himself and he.
He would resent this.

I also knew the Currie duo, though I never really knew if they were related or whatever. It wasn't important given the other information. I really don't give a shit about developer's personal lives for the most part when it comes to development, just game development. Oh, speaking of Jagged Alliance...

62.gif

Hello. (No, I don't actually wear an earring, and the nose was toned down a bit...and my chin hair is about eight inches longer now.)

All of these, I have valued for their willingness to discuss game design ideas without slipping into some marketing speek or excuses. Well, except for Dim Wit (when it was original joked as Dude...Whoa...), and who the hell knows what's up with him lately. They talked about ACTUAL DESIGN instead of waffling around Design Theory. The more developers talk lately, the more common it is for them to talk in marketing speek, or give excuses as to why they won't even try anymore.

The difference between then and now is about as different as Ed Greenwood's work and the kiddy piddling around in D&D like Penny Arcade's little campaign that might be interesting for fellow D&D newbies and nobody else. One of my team linked that to me, who I've since threatened with leaving tied up bareass naked out on I-5, after I had to close the podcast before my brains started leaking out of my ears.

They agreed with me, but that wasn't the point. I don't voluntarily listen to shit, so to have it sprung on me like that was just...evil.

Since then, I have also been involved in game design by discussion with various developers, who have in turn given me nods (or pokes in return) for my efforts in guiding them into better work.

Fallout Tactics was meant to be simply a series of maps, one after another, with a break at the bases. Due to my inside information and talks with the developers, I could force their hand into releasing something better no matter how it pissed them off, and so they added in a world map and more detail to make the game more like Fallout than it already was with the time they had left on the project. Tony Oakden told me I both pissed off and helped out MicroForté, and yes I'm the proverbial old geezer that pisses in other people's punch (or Nuka-Cola, in that case).

I've done the same for Interplay and BIS for years, both giving critiques where something seemed a bit too cliche as well as catching Feargus at his dishonesty - in particular the dishonest SLAM DUNK! titles that inferred good quality CRPGs as BIS were known for, but were in actuality dungeon crawlers made cheaply to cash in on a full price tag. With Descent to Undermountain, I had a field day on it during its development and release. I like to think I keep them on track for the most part, though when I leave for awhile they tend to slip into following BioWare like a lost puppy. (I have long since found out that BioWare is a lost cause, in particular after the EA assimilation. Bethesda, too, after all the greats left or were reduced down to menial positions as content grinders, including the Father of TES.)

It is because of my efforts that I get game cameos, though nowhere near as unflattering as Cleve's, mainly because I do know something about game design and can make a decently coherent argument (most of the time, I'll admit sometimes I run into something that just PISSES me off).

I *AM* Eli(ezer) Havelock, jaded spymaster (PS:T).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom