Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The codex is full of infinity engine fanboys and apologists

Are the infinity engine games overrated?

• Total voters

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Can you dumbass idiot fuck off now? You could start your *make your own Codex project* right now and deliver us from your annoying and completely worthless presence.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Before Fallout, I don’t know of any CRPGs that used your stats/skills to so dramatically determine what you heard and what you said in dialogue. PS:T may have been the first non-Fallout game to do this; it’s certainly the first D&D CRPG to do this.

No it wasn't. Dark Sun was.

Non-D&D you have a half dozen other games that had dialogue-based skills before Fallout.

I myself have often noted the many great things Fallout and BG borrow from Dark Sun, including dialogue trees where the options are actually consequential. But your (party’s?) attributes dramatically changing what you hear and what you get to say? That’s not in there. IIRC Dark Sun has maybe a handful of charisma checks (at most!) and some class and race based reactivity. That’s it. Even the Baldur’s Gate games have charisma and class checks. In Fallout you literally can’t have a conversation with the vast majority of NPCs if your intelligence is too low. If you can’t see the difference here, I can’t help you.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
Define 'dramatically changing,' because that doesn't describe the skill checks in PS:T either.

In Shattered Lands, your charisma checks can gain you allies to be used in the final battle.

PorkBarrellGuy

I can definitely appreciate Rosh's... passion, even if I don't necessarily share it to that level.

OUTSIDE the Codex's walls, I can say with reasonable certainty that IE games as an aggregate are absolutely overrated. The number of times I've seen not just BG2 but BG1 mindlessly fellated by the kind of person who also thinks they're a "classic RPG fan" because they love Morrowind but are ambivalent on, say, Oblivion is very high. PS:T, as adequate as it may be, is elevated to IE demigodhood by similar people for being SO DEEP. About the only one I DON'T see being regularly pedestalized as some kind of second coming is Icewind Dale, which mildly confuses me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
Fuck dialogue threes.

Dialogue checks were just a small fraction of what Fallout was trying to accomplish, which is a whole adventure being influenced by the main character stats and decisions, not just combat. And of course there were many games like that during the eighties and nineties even ignoring P&P, being Ultima IV arguably the first to emphasize this aspect of role-playing games. This is why Arcanum was huge while Baldur's Gate was pure decline, before the arrival of the combatfags.

Dorateen

Arcane
Dialogue options in the Gold Box engine, 1992

D3uexnc.png

Quillon

Arcane
Codex ain't full of infinity engine fanboys and apologists, codex is full DnD fanboys and apologists; when its DnD it doesn't matter if its TB or RTwP or how much bugfest of a game it is for codex; they'll love it and protect it with their life.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Well, D&D is the only RPG system that has produced several good computer game "engines" of the game, inlcuding some of the best turn based combat both for DOS and Windows. You don't even need to be a D&D fanboi to defend them; I barely played a few uninspired sessions of AD&D before playing Curse of the Azure Bonds.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Hmmm i constantly see all those people whining about rtwp and all the games that came from it. Yet i don't see them talking about the games they like.
Also i don't see what is with all the animosity,as if anyone is forcing you to play games with such system. A lot of envy and butthurt in you goys. Can't you,you know,like some games and dislike other without going full retard about the system they use? If it is a good RPG,who the fuck cares what system it uses?!

laclongquan

Arcane
About the only one I DON'T see being regularly pedestalized as some kind of second coming is Icewind Dale, which mildly confuses me.

Icewind Dale1/2 is strictly tactical game, so if you are bad at it, even easy diff can still confuse you, which is when you ragequit and badmouth it. And if you read walkthroughs and create parties based on that, well, it would bore you so fast you ragequit a second time. IWD only become attractive when you are good enough at least in RTwP tactical combat. WHich is a minority of gamers.

Prime Junta

Codex ain't full of infinity engine fanboys and apologists, codex is full DnD fanboys and apologists; when its DnD it doesn't matter if its TB or RTwP or how much bugfest of a game it is for codex; they'll love it and protect it with their life.

Well, D&D is the only RPG system that has produced several good computer game "engines" of the game, inlcuding some of the best turn based combat both for DOS and Windows. You don't even need to be a D&D fanboi to defend them; I barely played a few uninspired sessions of AD&D before playing Curse of the Azure Bonds.

Quod erat demonstrandum.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom