Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codex of Roguelikes

Destroid

Arcane

Looks like standard turn based tactics to me, with all marines moving together and indeed moving multiple squares in their turn.

Rpgsaurus Rex

A roguelike has to be, well, Rogue-like. To have RPG'ish mechanics, permadeath and random levels.

It does say on the game info page that it has procedurally generated levels and items, and in the trailer there appears to be some kind of XP system. Taking q quick cruise through their forums, it looks like it has a couple of classes and talent trees, though it's not immediately clear if they've been implemented yet.

7hm

Scholar
Solid OP / thread.

DCSS version .11 is officially out now. Also, the new online tiles server allows you to view games that are being played via console (in your tiles window, of course) and vise versa. Very cool.

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Has anyone taken Delver round for a spin? It's a roguelike with a first person perspective.

http://www.delvergame.com/

Here's a pic of what it looks like:

BFxPU.png

7hm

Scholar
Has anyone taken Delver round for a spin? It's a roguelike with a first person perspective.

http://www.delvergame.com/
Buying now for Android. Will report back.

It's got pretty good reviews. Not a lot of downloads.

Also gonna grab Legends of Yore.

e:

Cardinal Quest is a roguelike that's out for Androids as well as the PC. It's been featured in a couple indie bundles as well as on Indie Game Stand. It's a pretty casual roguelike, but it does some interesting things. The biggest issue is that the Mage class is completely broken and far too easy (others may also be, but in two wizard games, I had two wins). It's also got a very dissapointing finish. You don't even get to face a big bad, you just kill everyone on the final dungeon level and the game ends.

They're making a CQ2 and a demo is out for it.

Lubulos

Educated
I recommend Martin's Descent for Android. It doesn't have random levels, but the game is fun and feels like a roguelike. The nice thing is that it has wonderful controls for touchscreen devices, since it's not a port of a pc roguelike. Definitely recommended for first timers.

I have the free version of Legends of Yore, but I don't like it much: it's basically a simplified Angband with a nice tileset. It's way too easy, with a buttload of FedEx and hunting quests. Enemies drop too much loot, you'll find yourself full of gold in a blink. Otherwise it's got good controls; it's very user-friendly.

7hm

Scholar
Delver isn't bad. The controls aren't great on my Nexus but the game has potential.

First person roguelike with Minecraft like graphics. Traps, different weapons and items (wands, potions - with as far as I can tell potion randomization and a basic item ID subgame, scrolls), some different monster types including enemy spellcasters.

This game is worth a look at on the computer. When I have a chance I'll report back, but I'd recommend others to check it out as well.

Lubulos

Educated
Delver isn't bad.
Tried it on linux. For some reason, the game is locked at 20 fps, but is very playable.

Considering it's an alpha, it's already pretty good. No bugs whatsoever, until now. Dungeon generator is almost complete, from what I could see; there are already different layouts. The AI surprised me: zombies are stupid and come near you, soldiers attack you on sight but they flee if they start bleeding, bats just float around and only attack you if you go near them, eyeballs launch missiles from a distance and keep moving to avoid arrows.

My only complain is that mechanics are broken: I keep getting too many wands, health is not a problem and regenerates too fast, bows should be nerfed, good equipment is not rare at all. I can't seem to find id. scrolls (only scrolls of blizzard), but in any case the worst thing it happened when I quaffed an unid. potion was a 2-seconds long poison status.
However all these things usually get fixed in beta stage. Game is coming up well.

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Tried Delver on my netbook and it ran perfectly. No lag or framerate issues even with multiple enemies. The Minecraft graphics aren't my style but they do the job. I agree about bows being way too overpowered as I could easily kill everything with just a bow and it made melee useless. That and I tended to drown in arrows :D

Lubulos

Educated
It seems no one has brought Kerkerkruip to the attention of the codexians. The game is an interesting take on the roguelike genre, since the interface is that of a text adventure. The game has original mechanics and a good battle system. It may take a while to get you started though. The author keeps adding new content.

Essegi

Cipher
Hello,
what about WazHack? At first glance it could seem not a roguelike as it is 3D in side view, but it has the right spirit, in the NetHack way and quite adherent to roguelike definition, and it's very fast and enjoyable to play. Of course turn based but turn are in fraction of seconds.
In my opinion it's a great game.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Guild is an ASCII roguelike where you control 4 adventurers as they earn money, gather fame and loot, slay monsters, etc.

Never played it myself since I cannot into ASCII but maybe someone here will enhoy it :D

http://www.roguetemple.com/guild/

guild.png

You bastard! Now I have another rogue-like game cluttering my hard drive. By the way, this is a fun one. Thanks!

Self-Ejected

BlitzKitchen

Self-Ejected
Patron
Codex 2012
I wish UnReal World was being updated more often. It seems that games that focus on survival/sandbox play don't have enough late game features. Can anyone recommend a good alternative to URW? (Please don't say DF adventure mode)

Essegi

Cipher
I wish UnReal World was being updated more often. It seems that games that focus on survival/sandbox play don't have enough late game features. Can anyone recommend a good alternative to URW? (Please don't say DF adventure mode)
Maybe it's not the same (never played UW), maybe you could be interested in Ultima Ratio Regum...
http://www.ultimaratioregum.co.uk/game/info/
Less survival but more strategic and with a lot exploration. Seems quite interesting...

Self-Ejected

BlitzKitchen

Self-Ejected
Patron
Codex 2012
Maybe it's not the same (never played UW), maybe you could be interested in Ultima Ratio Regum...
http://www.ultimaratioregum.co.uk/game/info/
Less survival but more strategic and with a lot exploration. Seems quite interesting...

Perhaps, but yes it looks quite interesting nonetheless.

vitamin

Augur
Don't know why but no one has mentioned Strange Adventures in Infinite Space and its sequel Weird Worlds: Return To Infinite Space. Wiki says they're both "hybrid roguelike", so maybe can be added to the list? BTW, has anyone played them and can say if they're any good?

SwiftCrack

Arcane
TBH Dredmor is the under appreciated.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom