Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codex of Roguelikes

getter77

Augur
Yep, Transcendence, Lost in FlatspaceIIk, and the eternal slow simmer that is Naev are pretty much the only successors EV Nova has garnered----of them, Transcendence the best positioned for forward momentum since Flatspace has essentially been coasting in repose for some years now aside from little jostles since it came to Steam at last.

Irata

Scholar
Does anyone else play Tangledeep as I do? There's new expansion & game is ported to Switch.

If anyone cares, it is currently in the "Pay What You Want Tier" of the latest Humble Bundle. I've barely touched it, but my first impression is that it isn't too deep. Still, only tossed in a dollar (USD) and put it to charity as the rest of the bundle is definitely not for me.

pat

Arcane
Developer
Dvf6hkq.gif

http://patjw.itch.io/theredprison

I've got multiple display modes with graphical tiles and two ascii modes as options now. I actually implemented an entirely new graphics library to manage tiles of different sizes and it almost drove me insane converting it over. Along with the visual side of things, there's a heap of other improvements like new monster mobs with mages and shamans amongst them and some useable items like potions of healing and vials of acid.

I've also gone open source if you have the fortitude to endure my spaghetti code...

Joonas

Arcane
Developer
Updated Zorbus to release 4:
  • Manual updated with clarifications on closing doors, rest until healed, setting traps and other stuff.
  • Difficulty finetunings: some creatures removed from dungeon levels 1 and 2, bigger chance of a recruitable creature on the levels.
  • Rest until healed -command added (S or NUMPAD_0). Rests until healed or rests 100 rounds if already at full health so you can use it also to regenerate Stamina. Seen hostile creatures interrupt the rest. Can also be interrupted by pressing any key.
  • Health bars under creatures change color gradually from green to red as they get more angry at you.
  • Doors can now be closed also with ALT+DIR. The floor has to be clear of items.
  • Fixed ranged weapon enchantment. Ranged weapons can now be enchantent with "enchant weapon" and "vampiric weapon" -scrolls. When a ranged weapon and ammunition is equipped then elemental damage scrolls target ammunition.
  • Inventory now shows the key for dropping items.
  • Ability/skill/resistance-modifiers in item descriptions are now color coded.
  • Equipment ability requirements actually implemented (mainly for heavy armor, large weapons and large shields).
  • When you use target mode on a creature it shows the devices it's carrying (potions, wands etc.).
  • Some talent requirements and values finetuned.
  • Item price formula finetuned.
  • Spirit-modifier adjusts item prices in stores (+-10% per modifier, max +-30%).
  • Offscreen creature warning -setting draws red warning arrows in the edges of the map to directions where hostile creatures are seen. Mainly for small screens.
http://www.zorbus.net

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS LOLLOLOLOL BRO IS RIGHT ABOUT DCSS

GOT MY FIRST 15 RUNE WIN IN A WHILE HAVENT PLAYED IN ALMOST 6 MONTHS OR MORE LOLLOLOL THE NEW SERVER HASNT BEEN ADDED TO MY BANNED WEBSITES AT WORK YET

ZOT 5 WAS FUCKED KILLER KLOWNS MARKED ME SILENCED ME AND IN GENERAL FUCKED ME UP

I HAD LIKE TEN TELEPORT SCROLLS AND TEN HEAL POTIONS SO GOT LUCKY AND TELEPORTED TO THE ORB EVENTUALLY THEN AFTER A FEW MOR TRIES GOT THE STAIRS

MAYBE I GOT LUCKY BUT THE ORB RUN HOME WAS NOTHING NO PAN LORDS JUST THE ODD SHIT TIER DEMON

flyingjohn

Arcane
Can anybody recommend which version of rogue to play?

I played the 1.1 public version,is there a better version considering rogue has been released for so many platforms?

Alchemist

Arcane
Can anybody recommend which version of rogue to play?

I played the 1.1 public version,is there a better version considering rogue has been released for so many platforms?
I'm partial to the Epyx DOS release, but this is mostly due to muh nostalgia and not any objective reason. It's the one I played back in the 80's on my Tandy 1000. Looks like you can download it here: https://britzl.github.io/roguearchive/

It looks like this:
2xr0KOR.gif

tKRfI0H.png

Bonus: The box cover art was amazing:
onXV6Bt.jpg

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Can someone explain Unreal World to me? I started the game as a Seal Tribe guy, built a little shelter and cellar relatively close to the ocean where I get a reliable and steady supply of fish. So now I can't starve, die of thirst nor freeze. What am I supposed to do now? Live my day-to-day life scraping trees for twigs to make fire and fishing for food until I get sick and die? I know I could try hunting which is a bit harder, but even then I'd still just eventually run into same situation where I'm left wondering what else is there to the game. I'm bad at coming up with self-imposed challenges and that's making the game come off a bit shallow for me.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I think he put in the wuests for that reason. The rewards are pretty minor but if it's direction you need, there you are.

Or you can go full murder-hobo and start wiping out villages or forming raiding parties.

Unwanted

Elephantman

Unwanted
Joonas

I just leveled up and my char went from 13 HP to 12!
I have 4 in Body, a -3 modifier. I am literally dying...
You cant hurt powergamers like this! I didnt ask for this! :lol:

Unwanted

Elephantman

Unwanted
Joonas
Now this is horrible: when you 'save game and quit', restart the game and continue, you canNOT save and quit again!
I let my PC go into hybernation for 2 days now, just to save the state...

Now this is horrible: when you 'save game and quit', restart the game and continue, you canNOT save and quit again!
I let my PC go into hybernation for 2 days now, just to save the state...
You can only save once per dungeon level.

Can you please add unlimited saving? I have a young child and sometimes need to just leave the PC at any time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom