Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codex of Roguelikes

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Lemme shill Ultra again, that guy really helped me git (semi) gud at DCSS

The DCSS community (outside of Reddit, naturally) seems really nice in general.

dextermorgan

Arcane
Re CCDA, did they do some major rebalancing?

I tried my usual route of training up tailor until all my gear is reinforced (long underwear/shirt/hoodie), carve a cudgel (combined with fencing) and no encumbrance, and it used to be I could handle a ton of normal zeds without taking a scratch - not so in the last build... Not that they can kill me but I'm getting bites far too often.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Did you try to read Tavern? It's full of sjw-ism, and not from players but from devs.
I tried posting some suggestions there years ago and got shouted down by like 4 different regulars. They've since added pretty much everything I wanted. Also, apparently the devs ban people from the online servers (which are the only way to play the tournaments and such) if they question any changes they make. Seems pretty cancerous to me.

index.php

Arcane
Ivan057

--> Windows: Download IVAN-v057-win.zip <--
--> Mac: Download IVAN-v057-osx.dmg <--

Changes:

• NEW Black Market, an end-game shop to spend all excess gold in!
  • Added game lore and fiction to the Doc folder.
  • Magic helmets spawn with random materials.
  • Some helmets switched from full helmet to normal.
  • Keys now very rarely break when used.
Fixes:

• New "expansive terrain" can help prevent blocking important entrances.
  • Improved item search algorithm.
  • Fixed ring detection to work same as scrolls.
  • Enable wishes for empty containers, make empty cans and empty bottles wishable.
  • No rotated pictures for equipments and newly-spawned items.
  • Do not aggressively upgrade dependencies for mac build.
  • Mirrored items cannot be dismantled into permanent lump of material.
  • Stop weapon swap from auto-stealing items in shops.
  • NPCs will sometimes talk to you on their own.
  • Possibly fixed the window context glitch in Windows.
See v056...v057 for a list of changes since 0.56

The Red Knight

Erudite
Wasn't SRPG just a chain of combat encounters with a bit of story/out-of-combat elements thrown in? In case that's not what you're looking for.

It's currently on GOG for like three potatoes, though, so you may as well grab it there.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Did you try to read Tavern? It's full of sjw-ism, and not from players but from devs.
I tried posting some suggestions there years ago and got shouted down by like 4 different regulars. They've since added pretty much everything I wanted. Also, apparently the devs ban people from the online servers (which are the only way to play the tournaments and such) if they question any changes they make. Seems pretty cancerous to me.

I have seen once the discussion about new dieties that goes like "game's lore is TOO EUROCENTRIC we need that Aztec/Mexican dieties blah-blah etc".
That was fucking disgusting.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
And what is your opinion about Tales of Maj'Eyal ?

Game plays less like an roguelike where you just auto attack by bumping sprites. The game actually has lot of active skills availble for characters which are necessary for gameplay.

You can pretty much approach it more as RPG with roguelike elements vs an actual roguelike.

getter77

Augur
Now or the near future is actually one of the best moments to get into Tales of Maj'Eyal as a massive v1.6 beta 1 update came out a few days back after ages of no substantive updates---much should be improved and outright different by the time the v1.6 update is complete in full.

Game itself is good, if eccentric---infamous for a late game slog, but this patch changes several classes and whatnot down to overhauling their very foundations so the old rough edges may yet become moot depending on how things roll out.

The Red Knight

Erudite
Doesn't it take forever to test if a build is good?
Well, my personal test is whether I can survive either Trollmire's optional boss from the start or one of the first harder dungeons. Past that I tend to do fine until I get careless or encounter some doom stack (which happens because I got careless and was OCD about clearing everything in one go). Then again I rarely feel like getting to later parts of the game (see: getting careless and being OCD about challenging that boss trio you're vulnerable against right here and now). I guess you could use an experience gain tweak mod to rush through the easy-but-boring parts or to try out high level skill combinations (it might take some time to weak that and monster spawns to not make the game too easy or hard).

The Red Knight

Erudite
wait which mods add party members again?
https://te4.org/games/addons/tome/adventure_party - this one; makes the game much easier if you don't also tweak monster difficulty or talent/experience gain with other mods (though you could use it to see how, say, two very bad builds would fare in a team)

https://te4.org/games/addons/tome/bazaar-fix - this might help if you're using the bazaar mod (IIRC its first map is a maze with a quest NPC, and each reenter to the second area removes the last added party member - which in vanilla would only be that NPC - so you will permanently lose a party member together with whatever they were carrying if that happens)

https://te4.org/games/addons/tome/randboss_rando - this one is for tweaking boss spawns; I'm not sure which one I use for levelup/experience tweaks because at some point I merged multiple addons in a hacky way to fix some compatibility issues and it must've included the levelup one because I don't see any names related to it on my addons list

index.php

Arcane
Friday, October 25th, 2019 07:37
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup 0.24 “Plants vs. Vampires”
by advil

We are pleased to announce the release of Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup 0.24 “Plants vs. Vampires”!

DCSS 0.24 features an overhaul of gods Fedhas and Sif Muna, a new and improved version of Vampires, and a streamlined throwing system, not to mention UI improvements, many smaller changes, and all sorts of bugfixes. For players interested in seeding, you’ll be pleased to hear that stable seeding no longer requires full generation of the dungeon in advance, hopefully paving the way to seeded games online. For a full list of significant changes, please see the changelog for the 0.24 branch.

Download DCSS 0.24 here, or play it online on one of many servers across the world! Packages for Windows, OS X, and Linux are all available now. (Debs coming very soon.)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom