Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codex of Roguelikes

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy

ROADA ROLLA

serveimage

dextermorgan

Arcane
I knew it was C:DDA but didn't recognize these labs ;)
The central lab is fucking endless. I think the author modeled it after the Raccoon City Umbrella facility or something but it goes on and on and on. I've lost count of the number of finales I've found so far and it's at least 6 z-levels deep. Automap stairs is a must - which I didn't enable :argh:

Tygrende

Arbiter
The real fun in CDDA is drifting with the handbrake, shame it stops working when your car skill gets too high to lose control of the car.

6zKTXs8.gif

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS CANT PLAY ROGULIKES TO MUCH CAUSE MY HANDS GO NUMB AND WEAK LOLOOLLLOL

THAT BEIMG SAID I DO GET IN A DCSS STREAK LOLLLOL

STILL CAN WIN THE NEWEST VERSION LOLLOLOL HAVE HAD MAJOR LUCK IN ABYSS IN TWO GAMES

BANISHED RIGHT TO THE RUNE VAULT LOLLLOLOL

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Bloatcrawl 2 is now here with ample madness---feels like the spirit of PRIME lives through it~

https://github.com/Hellmonk/bloatcrawl2
Other New Stuff
  • Dab at any time with the p key.

https://github.com/Hellmonk/bloatcr...282b2820/crawl-ref/source/player.cc#L607-L612

if(x_chance_in_y(4,20))
{
mprf("%s is dazed by your dab.", mons->name(DESC_THE).c_str());
mons->add_ench(mon_enchant(ENCH_DAZED, 0, &you,
(10 + random2(10)) * BASELINE_DELAY));
}

Last edited:

getter77

Augur
The massive amount of new races and classes, gimmick and otherwise, define The Bloat that mainline crawl has generally seen fit to cut more and more of over time.

new fucking guy

Scholar
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I didn't know bloatcrawl is a thing. Thanks, I love it.

Is there joke here that I'm missing? Why is it called bloatcrawl? Is it just jammed with "features" or something?
modern DCSS design philosophy is perceived as obsessed with bloat, going as far as cutting mechanics and classes from the game for no good reason other than "it's bloat", while most roguelikes don't really give a shit

buffalo bill

Arcane
We need someone who woll assess Infra Arcana last changes.
Pretty much the same as the experimental build that was available for all of 2019. Temple gongs now instantly give their effects, and you don't get to choose—which makes them way less useful. Maybe they were too powerful before? Invoker is still OP. I haven't tried Ghoul again, so I don't know if there are changes, but the other classes pretty much play the same as before (before = the latest experimental build). The map-building algorithm has been changed. IMO the levels were already very good before, but now they tend to be more complex and interconnected in unexpected ways. Barring early-game bad luck, I've been finding that just about all my games end to (group of) a certain invisible creature that casts darkbolts. They need a nerf imo.

Easily 2019 GOTY, by a wide margin.

getter77

Augur
Infra Arcana functions much the same as Demon, in that every meaty, eventual update is a reliable instance of "the game is now even better, in more ways than not even as far as stuff that was already quite good".

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I don't know what to think about DCSS magic reworking, maybe I'm just used to play the game, like it a lot and I don't want so many changes:

So without further ado, here are the changes (and the spell schools themes).

• Fire spells are centered around semi-controlled explosions and setting things on fire.
    • A new spell Foxfire (L1 Conjurations/Fire) conjures two foxfire projectiles that home in on the nearest target and burn them. Foxfire replaces Flame Tongue, which is removed.
    • Conjure Flame now creates a cloud of embers at the caster’s position. They ignite into flame if, after the player’s next action, nothing is in the embers cell; or if the player casts the spell a second time.
    • Inner Flame creates a flame cloud under the affected monster whenever they take damage in addition to the explosion on death.
    • A new spell Starburst (L6 Conjurations/Fire) fires a range 5 bolt of fire in each of the principal directions. Starburst replaces Bolt of Fire, which is removed.
    • Throw Flame is removed.
    • Firestorm, Ignition, and Starburst now burn trees, and all squares of a Fireball burn trees as well.
  • Air is bouncy, pointy, and often hard to direct.
    • Airstrike damage now scales with the number of unoccupied cells adjacent to the target.
  • Earth is directed and single target.
    • Borgnjor’s Vile Clutch is now a range 6 beam of hands, instead of a smite-targeted 3×3 explosion.
  • Ice is diffuse and subtle.
    • A new spell Hailstorm (L4 Conjurations/Ice) creates a ring of damaging hail at distance 2 and 3 from the caster. This damage is partly physical but icy monsters are immune. Hailstorm replaces Throw Icicle which is removed.
    • Ozocubu’s Refrigeration is buffed to do more damage and not damage the caster.
    • Throw Frost and Bolt of Cold are removed.
    • Ice Elementalists no longer start with conjurations skill, the extra skill being put into Ice Magic instead.
  • Conjurations are pure magic which have good accuracy in some way.
    • Iskenderun’s Mystic Blast is now Conjurations/Translocations and makes a range 2 explosion around the caster that damages and pushes back monsters, potentially causing damaging collisions.
    • Dazzling Flash (L3 Conjurations/Hexes) replaces Dazzling Spray. The flash is a range 2-3 silent explosion with a chance of blinding monsters (it does no damage).
    • Searing Ray now follows the chosen target; the rays all penetrate, are fired to full range, and have the same damage and to-hit.
    • Spellforged Servitor only receives one player spell, the highest level servitor-compatible spell the player has. The spell description indicates which spell the servitor will cast.
    • Force Lance is removed.
  • Poison is an alchemical discipline, focused on poison and other alchemy.
    • Sting is now a range 3 Poison/Transmutations spell that is only partially resistible.
    • New spell Eringya’s Noxious Bog (L6 Poison/Transmutations) grants the caster a temporary “Bog” status, which causes them to transform terrain behind them into toxic bog. Toxic bogs impose the penalties of shallow water and do partially resistible poison damage of the same flavor as sting to monsters and players in them.
    • Venom Bolt and Poison Arrow are removed.
    • Ignite Poison is added to The Young Poisoner’s Handbook
    • Venom Mages now start with Transmutations skill instead of Conjurations.
  • Necromancy has begun transitioning into more of a melee-support school (either the caster’s or their undead minion’s melee).
    • Agony and Dispel Undead are now range 1.
    • Bolt of Draining is removed.
    • Corpse Rot creates miasma in a ring around the player (using one corpse in LOS per cloud).

Regeneration has regenerated for the last time, and is removed. Agony replaces it in the book of Necromancy, and Ozocubu’s Armour in the Book of Battle

The nerf for necromancy is very heavy. isn't it? That includes Bjorn's Vile Clutch.

680x0

Learned
Isn't Vile Clutch OP? I mostly play melee classes so I have only seen it while watching other people play.

Thinking about finally dipping my toe into the Angband/Moria variants. ToME2 looks pretty cool but I wonder if it is too much for my first foray.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Those are mostly good spell changes tbh. Vile Clutch was incredibly OP, probably the best spell in the game when you factor in what schools it used and it's level. Conjure Flame was in the running too and I'm not sure it's change is entirely a nerf. I don't really mind the removal of all the bolt spells, they were boring, leaving lightning bolt and the earth series (including magma) is enough. The Airstrike change might be bullshit if it's applied to enemies as well; it's already one of the most dangerous spells in the game to encounter.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Those are mostly good spell changes tbh. Vile Clutch was incredibly OP, probably the best spell in the game when you factor in what schools it used and it's level. Conjure Flame was in the running too and I'm not sure it's change is entirely a nerf. I don't really mind the removal of all the bolt spells, they were boring, leaving lightning bolt and the earth series (including magma) is enough. The Airstrike change might be bullshit if it's applied to enemies as well; it's already one of the most dangerous spells in the game to encounter.

Maybe you are right. I guess the answer is playing the new version when the rework is complete to see how it feels.

The bolt of draining I think should stay because gives a good ranged option for necromancy, and has the debuff mechanic differencing it from the others.

Why do you think they have removed regeneration?

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I never cared much for regeneration myself but it was another very powerful spell, the kind of no brainer thing you should cast every time you go down a new stair, open a vault, or do pretty much anything really. And it's so easy to cast, which makes it another tedious thing to do to be playing optimally. So they got rid of it in the same vein as getting rid of searching for traps or needing to manage stashes.

I'd have kept it in personally (maybe make it more powerful and bump the level up to 5 or 6) but I can see their logic at least. Ditto for bolt of draining; the ability to fire it through your undead minions is part of what make necromancers play a bit differently. Although, again, I never really used it myself. Clutch is more than enough for a 3 rune game and beyond that drain resist is way too common to give up that many spell slots. Poison spells are still a good pairing with necromancy though, poison vapours and radiance are both really strong when you've got minions to hide behind.

Inspectah

Savant
What's the Word on the streets about KeeperRL? Was really feeling like playing a building/TBS party rogue and this seemed to.somewhat fit the mold

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom