Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codex of Roguelikes

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Since sharing DDA screenshots is all the rage, gonna post some from my half-year-old playthrough. It was a memorable one.

Survived for nearly 3 years. My base:

M15LFM9.png

It had everything. Walls, traps all over the perimeter, a fucking dungeon underground, solar panels on the roof.

kkrDBy5.png

Garage and vehicles, naturally.

AYxAnR8.png

A bit later I started doing farms (not a lotta fun, but I had to try it).

4iruxf4.png

Had all those fridges stocked with food.

sfZjzYq.png

Some more assorted screens from Da Base:

AdoAkbM.png

9ASb5KV.png

VFaxcED.png

Pgp8klB.png

It was attacked pretty frequently too. Those walls and traps are not just for aesthetics.

PfrxVnf.png

Fun fact: Feral Predators can jump over your traps and walls. Learned it the hard way.

HO0mGSu.png

This playthrough was focused on building a perfect base, but I did my share of scavenging too. Some FUN screenies (pls don't ask the context, I honestly don't remember):

oZI1Ymb.png

wfraa0p.png

N1ugbsU.png

pYwy1uK.png

uqrj6b2.png

Dc843Yx.png

gpAzRkh.png

0iG6Dtz.png

Fun times. :love:

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
So you play with dynamic spawn? Wouldn't that basically siccs horde at you everything you start your big car or something.

Well, not right at your door. Zombies are attracted to sound, yes. But due to their brainless nature, they end up hugging the perimeter walls and dying to those nail board traps. Took me literal Seasons to build that wall. Building is a long and loud process, and I've been interrupted more times I care to mention.

AYfE3N5.png

76oIwbI.png

iZ7OZxL.png

It was just a cabin in the middle of the woods. No roads, no paths, no anything. I had to clear it up myself.

VeGCudM.png

Everything related to building that base was painfully long and full of suffering. But it was this moment that reignited my drive to play further:

jpES5Bn.png

I wasn't even sure it was possible (connecting two "vehicles" stationed on different z-levels). It was. Rooftop solar arrays worked like a charm.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Grimwulf no panic button CBMs?

No CBMs at all. I had some self-imposed challenges to spice up my DDA experience. This particular char was trying to preserve his humanity, so no CBMs.

To be fair, the Cataclysm evolved way too far after 2 years. Scavenging in cities and even small towns was near damn impossible. I can't remember what I was looking for (maybe skill books or ammunition - honestly, can't remember), so I went to that military outpost. Wasn't my first one. Used the usual approach - artillery strike from deathmobile, go in, grab stuff, get out. Could have survived those tanks if I was more careful. Got cocky - got killed, that's how it usually ends in DDA.

I regret nothing.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Well, Grimwulf convinced me to fire CDDA up again. Started out fucking around with random characters, then dialed it up to trying to get a random character to survive in wilderness without looting any human or zombie bodies or cars etc. Just wilderness crap. Took a long while but eventually got a character stable after figuring out the good recipes for food and such. Got up to kiln tech before giving it up- no way to mine for metal, and wild animals were just way too fucking rare compared to the versions I was used to to. Got all the way to kiln tech without getting a single hide. No storage at all. I saw one fucking deer and it was impossible to hunt with the new ranged mechanics. Not interested in scouting hundreds of map tiles to maybe find a bear then have to set up a whole fucking camp to deal with it's corpse just to get a fucking pouch. Arrows also impossible to make because birds don't exist. Whatever.

Started over on my usual type of character: minmaxed stat whore with no skills on really bad day. Took me a few tries before I remembered tweakers are basically impossible to survive with and went with naked dude instead. Eventually got rolling, cleared a mansion, built up a bunch of skills, built a wooden cart (why are shopping carts rare now?) and even managed to salvage a truck. Set off in search of a not shit town that has a library or garage or basically anything besides food and houses. Found some barbed wire on the road, stopped truck, got out to remove it to continue, got shot twice in the head for 80 damage by a milspec turret, game over.

So, in short, fuck you for getting me to play this again. Why are fucking milspec turrets everywhere now? They're more common than animals ffs.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Well, got a new character rolling around in a souped up security van. Man, armored vehicles are actually tanks now, it's nice not having your steel plating torn apart by zombie children because you didn't notice one for half an hour.

I've got fairly endgame skills now, cranking out generic mutagen and heading to a hospital to try and figure out the new CBM stuff. Only martial arts I've found though is lame brazilian danceoff techniques. Libraries seem to be in short supply and the one I managed to find had fuck all for textbooks. I should probably make some sort of proper weapon for shocker brutes as well.

I also have made a facinating new discovery: my debug log files is TWELVE FUCKING GIGABYTES. Would have never noticed if I weren't upgrading my hardware. Jesus fucking christ how does this happen?

The Red Knight

Erudite
A list of locations, named NPCs and quests/quest solutions for Shadow of the Wyrm

https://pastebin.com/EGMGU8fe - full list
https://pastebin.com/NKy7UcUi - spoiler-free list (if you merely want to know if you've talked to everyone important in a given town)

Based on version 1.1.6 so if there are new quests/places in 1.1.7 then those are missing.

There are a few quests with nonobvious solutions, and locations that are hard to discover, but in both cases there are hints on how to solve/find them written or said somewhere (including [c]odex and [B]estiary), so you might just need to explore a bit more or re-read what you know and rumors you've heard, and there's no need yet to spoil yourself on how to solve them.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Phos have you played any other roguelikes? I know I just mentioned Tangledeep, but it's very accessible. The UI makes me think it plays similarly, though I've never heard of it before. It's also available on Switch I believe.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Cheers, I've had enough reasons to try Qud already. I didn't expect it to have much of a soundtrack just going off the appearance.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Tangledeep, The Temple of Torment, Ananias, The Lost Labyrinth or Zorbus should be right up your alley. They all have straightforward interface and accessible gameplay.

V_K

Arcane
Unexplored fits the bill - the dungeon is quite compact and character development is squarely gear-based. At the same time, it has the best level generation algorithms ever, on par with the best handcrafted maps from traditional RPGs. And if real-time combat is not your thing, there's a turn-based mod.

The Red Knight

Erudite
Aldarix the Battlemage, CastlevaniaRL, Dungeonmans, Endless Dungeons, Golden Age: Endless Dungeon, LambdaRogue, Red Rogue, There is Only Power, Triangle Wizard

Roguelike One is a very simple one (just walk around, kill stuff and pick up new weapons/armor as they wear out). Not to be confused with Roguelike One which is a top-down shooter with ship upgrades. Or if you don't like sci-fi, the dev made a pretty much the same game except fantasy with Rodney.

Alvora Tactics and Javelin, maybe?

Gerwin Broer's HeroQuest is more of a board game dungeon crawl (so don't expect any depth you get in computer games from it) but it has a randomized dungeon campaign option.

If you don't mind taking care of eating/sleeping/wounds and enjoy being a hobo, NEO Scavenger.

Have you tried other browser roguelikes/roguelites?
https://www.kongregate.com/games/kintogames/bit-dungeon
https://www.kongregate.com/games/randomnine/cardinal-quest-2
https://www.kongregate.com/games/NetworkOfNinja/cyber-recession-warrior-edgar
https://www.kongregate.com/games/Vitaly/loot-heroes
https://armorgames.com/play/1614/monsters-den-the-book-of-dread
https://www.kongregate.com/games/garin/monsters-den-chronicles
https://www.kongregate.com/games/UknownXL/specter-knight
https://www.kongregate.com/games/drakonian_lord/wondrous-lands

Elona is complex but IIRC it's easy to get into and you can ignore various mechanics/activities that don't interest you.

GearHead 1 & 2 have simple controls, the 2nd game is fairly sandbox, and you can download the graphical version instead of ASCII (albeit it looks terrible, I wish the dev focused solely on mechanics/gameplay). Of note: after a very long hiatus the dev came back and did some bugfixing before starting making other games, and with that apparently added nonbinary gender, so if it's too triggering pick one of the older (pre-2017?) releases.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I remember in the past there was a roguelike with decription of "trying to rebuke the perception that Roguelike can't have a nice story" or something like that.

I remember that you started in a town/castle.

Do someone remember what is the game?

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom