Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

The Codexian Saga LP

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by The Barbarian, May 8, 2010.

1. LusciousPear Savant

LusciousPear
    MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    I really like the way the game is so far.

B!

^ Top  
  2. The Barbarian Educated

The Barbarian
    The greatest difference is in the gameplay. Option A maintains some of the structure of the current game, being primarily choice based. It will concentrate heavily on the military side of things, with defined forces being shuffled around against a quantifiable foe.

Option C is a set-up in which each player takes control of one state, issues orders by turn, and watches the consequences unfold via a turn-by-turn chronicle of events. Much of the challenge would lie in the fact that players would be pitting their wits one against the other.

For the Saga as a whole, of course, the Barbarian concedes that you may very well be right.

:smug:

^ Top  
  3. taplonaplo Scholar

taplonaplo
    B for now.

^ Top  
  4. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Option A :thumbsup:

While the idea of a Tyrant seems like fun, I like the idea of waging war on the Hin'in even more.

I'll not comment on the last option. Don't want. :roll:

^ Top  
  5. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    -flopped to B-

^ Top  
  6. The Barbarian Educated

The Barbarian
    All options are reactive. In fact, all constitute serious disasters for Codexia.

The Tyrant would be considered a significant threat that would consume a 'story arc'. In effect, the first post would chronicle the rise of a genetic aberration that would seek to remake humanity. The Barbarian will not reveal all, but suffice it to say that, as foes go, the Tyrant is a favored creation of his.

^ Top  
  7. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Hm...

You've got me interested. Since all three options have their drawbacks, and it could be yet another ruinous, pointless war with the Hin'in, let's see where we go with the genetic ubermenschen angle. -flipflop-

^ Top  
  8. Conkrete Knight Educated

Conkrete Knight
    Option C could be really fun, would however be ruined if people started being absent for some reason ore another, and they will.
    So B or A it is.
    Have to think about it.

^ Top  
  9. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Option B looks to me very much like the Emperor in the WH40K universe..

^ Top  
  10. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Army of supermen aside, my first thought was of the Mule.

^ Top  
  11. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Heh, I wasn't thinking visually, but from the description.. :M

^ Top  
  12. wjw Augur

wjw
    Unleash the Tyrant. B!

^ Top  
  13. Ulminati Kamelåså! Patron

Self-Ejected
    Option C, while interesting, sounds like it'd be too time consuming to properly manage. Besides, we all know that the Ulmdonian Empire would crush all opposition like insects beneath its hobnailed boots. :smug:

Option A is always fun, but we already did several wars.

So Option B it is! Bring on the Tyrant!

^ Top  
  14. Brotherman Bill Arcane

Brotherman Bill
    Ah goddammit I thought we were just about to END the fucking WH40k wankery? And now you faggots try to get INTO it again? The decline, it is too strong...

On topic, Conan never ceases to amaze :thumbsup:

Personally I have certain doubts whether he manages to manage the entire C option, particularly with the amount of participants, so I vote A.

^ Top  
  15. Nickless Educated

Nickless
    C sounds the most fun and innovative. I'm willing to give it a shot. I request a bunch of secular libertarian tax dodgers to rule over.

Edit: Or failing that, technofetishists

^ Top  
  16. The Barbarian Educated

The Barbarian
    On this point, worry not. The exercise would not be so elaborate as to overwhelm Conan's capacities. He is a mighty barbarian, from the foothills of a wartorn land. He would carry this burden ably enough.

But he understands if the other choices are more tempting. Truth be told, all involve elements previously unseen in the Saga.

Even Option B, the seeming favorite, has a small surprise in store.

^ Top  
  17. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Despite the choice of picture for that option, I see very little similarities to WH40k. It's not like an army of supermen are exclusive to 40k, so don't get so jumpy. If the Barbarian deems the Tyrant a great foe, I would very much like to witness the good fellow's villainy in action.

^ Top  
  18. Ulminati Kamelåså! Patron

Self-Ejected
    I agree. A genetic übermensch wanting to remake humanity in his image is a fairly classic and common sci-fi story scenario. I'm surprised it took so long for this to happen, considering how long ago it is we had widespread genemods, cybermods and bodymods. I'm personally hoping for a be-tentacled frankensteinian horror that forces genemods onto the populance, leaving us with no option but to perform mass euthanizations in the name of the :incline:.

...That, or the tyrant wins, turning all of codexia into :mhd: in space.

^ Top  
  19. anus_pounder Arcane

anus_pounder
    Flip flop'd to B. As interesting as the new war mechanics sound, I'm tired of engaging in violent intercourse with the usual aliens.

A proper indepth civil war sounds like fun. Lets see brave codexian generals fuck up again.

^ Top  
  20. Brotherman Bill Arcane

Brotherman Bill
    Perhaps, but given the history of this thread and the fact that a WH40 picture was chosen to represent it, there is no a sliver of doubt in my mind that this is what the codexian collective will evolve it into.

Anyways, it just dawned upon me that the preferential voting system might be better for this vote, seeing as it's so essential 'n shit... Agree?

If we use that, I vote ACB

^ Top  
  21. praetor Arcane

praetor
    damn.. tough choice

a detailed wargame or [​IMG]

hm.... i think i'm going with A

^ Top  
  22. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    I beg to differ. Even the Marianite state bore only the most remote semblance to the Imperium. And that is if you pretend that Marianism was similar to Emperor-worship in that it:
    a) has a religious personage that is the object of worship (like almost every other religion)
    b) has a strong hold over all levels of society (like almost every other religion during its peak of influence)
    c) is in SPACE! (I concede this point).

The Barbarian tends not to flavor his text with WH40k leanings. It's just the voters who give that impression with their posts, and those certainly don't influence just exactly how things play out. It's the votes that count, not the amount of screaming for xenos-purging.

It's alright if people do prefer a detailed wargame over traditional gameplay, but to downvote option B merely because "it sounds like WH40k" seems a tad petty - hell, option A could also be taken to be a WH40k option because it's a 'purge the xenos!' route. Ditto option C - Vandire's Reign of Blood and all that shit. Point is, if you're going to go around looking for WH40k influence in everything, you're gonna find it - and if the Codexian collective is as strong as you say, all options will end up 40k. There is no escape.

^ Top  
  23. RandomLurker Scholar

RandomLurker
    Lets see here... Out of those three options, C sounds like it could turn into a meta-clusterfuck where the updates get delayed because of players being unreliable, not to mention the possibility of the whole excercise turning into a never ending fight between 2 or 3 equally strong players that would still be able to participate in what happens in the thread, with the rest of us being only able to watch and comment from the sidelines. If we were using the preferential voting system I'd place it last.

I can't decide whether I should vote A or B though - both sound good. I'll go with B for now, but I can be easily convinced to flip flop to A.

^ Top  
  24. The Barbarian Educated

The Barbarian
    Conan loves WH40k as much as the next red blooded champion of martial virtue.

But the Codexian Saga will not become a pseudo-history of the Imperium of Man - partially because the Codexian Saga is supposed to be somewhat plausible. There is no supernatural Chaos to contend with, here.

Inspiration for the Saga is drawn from many sources. But the Barbarian prefers to think that Codexia is more akin to something like Babylon 5 than the Grim Darkness of the Far Future Where There Is Only War.

The most obvious inspiration, by far, however, can be found in our own history - which is more fascinating to the Barbarian than any fictional material.

Indeed. What the Barbarian finds interesting is that - at almost every juncture - the Council has chosen the option that is most likely to achieve a positive outcome for Codexia, rather than the one that is going to generate the lulz.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)