Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codexian Saga LP

Angthoron

Arcane
Changing vote from B to C.

After a bit of thinking I've come to the conclusion that it's too early to communicate yet. I was sort of siding to that originally but for some reason the option C dropped out of my field of vision for a while.

We need to bolster our defences, give more power to our mighty armies and prepare to fight on. If they wish to stop the war, they can contact us. It's only a minor victory even if it was, as they say, catastrophic in scale. We need to learn our enemies better, and to show them that we're more than they can bite. Meantime we should also dedicate time to reverse-engineering their weapons and FTL drives, learning more about the enemy and perhaps learning to communicate with them.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
A few matters of note before the other members of the voting council make their decision.

I have made my vote, and will not sway from my decision, but bear in mind the events of "Oh noes!". First contact has shown that the enemy is likely unable or unwilling to communicate with us. Further conflict demonstrated a continuance of the communications blackout between Codexia and the Raumen.

First we must address our ability to communicate with the insectoids - that should hopefully be no daunting obstacle for our intrepid scientists.

Second, we must address their willingness to communicate. Thus far there has been no exchange of communication, but we can chalk that up to their perceived superiority. After all, they had been holding the advantage up till now; why would they bother communicating with us? Furthermore, our brave fleet officers have noted a change in behaviour with the insectoids becoming increasingly willing to remain in combat after it was shown that our ships were sadly not up to the task of defeating them. This shows an emotional vulnerability that we can exploit, which brings me to my conclusion.

The recent losses inflicted upon them were catastrophic by any accounts, unless their domain is far greater than we give them credit for. Thus, they will likely have experienced a decrease in morale. We have shaken their belief in their own superiority. If there is any time for one last attempt at communication with these aliens, it is now.

Pragmatism must rule the day in fair Codexia. Bloodlust is a fine trait, but only when controlled to do the greatest damage upon our enemies.

wjw

Augur
Diplomacy is fine. In the meantime we can explore and investigate the military bases we have captured. (or destroyed, i mean, there must be somethinig valuable in those remains) Maybe a hidden superweapon? Who knows...

The Insectoids will surely have prepared for a next attack, making each subsequent attack more difficult. We might win, but at what cost?

laclongquan

Arcane
C.

Two small victories and you want to run? Sadly not possible.

These wont deter those bug-eyed monsters, same as those strings of defeats wont deter us. We must press on until we gain a clearly equal footing. Or until you gain FTL, either through research or reverse-engineer.

You are facing a counter-counteroffensive of their own. Prepare your defense!

Grit your teeth, boys and girls! The fights are still to come.

Angthoron

Arcane
I've flip-flopped on my original vote. We don't have enough bargaining chips on the table to be able to play the talking game yet. Diplomacy would be a sweet option, but it's not yet in our grasp - the aliens don't seem to be that peace-loving.

Thank you for helping me choose the proper course of action, Comrade Admiral!

TL;DR: Option C.
Non-TL;DR in my previous post.

Orgasm

Barely Literate
"press on with the Counter-Offensive and attempt to smash the insectoid threat decisively"

You cant talk to cockroaches.

Police rendering according to the accounts of panicked meatbag soldiers.

qsa0ht.jpg

The Barbarian

Liturgist

Four votes for Option B - Diplomacy.

Two votes for Option C - Prepare.

One vote for Option A - Continue Offensive.

Orgasm:

Where did you find that magnificent drawing? It bears an uncanny resemblance to what the Barbarian had in mind!

Many thanks to you for gifting us with this excellent portrayal of the dirty heathen Raumen.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Cursed military-industrial complex! :evil: You have bought over the heroes of Codexia.

Digging in heavily would require the sort of industrial activity that has taxed Codexia to its limits. I do not believe the workers can stand for much more of this. We could barely defend ourselves as is, and only achieved a victory through a surprise offensive. Will our reserve fleet be back up to the task of defending against an enemy which can still perform hit-and-run attacks with impunity using FTL drives? Given our wormhole technology and strategic mobility, we absolutely do not need to hold any forward bases in insectoid territory, not when we can warp greater distances than they can given the proper starcharts.

Furthermore, consider the morale effect. More gung-ho members of the military would be pressing for a swift follow-up strike towards the heart of insectoid space at this time. Denying them that option, but instead opting to return to the defensive is a hard thing to spin. On the other hand, by outwardly declaring negotiation attempts as a 'last chance' for the insectoids to surrender, we can still maintain the illusion of superiority within our people.

(Of course, if we were allowed to pursue diplomacy while digging in, I'd be all for that safe choice, but unfortunately - or maybe luckily -, it seems that Barbarian selects the main choice but performs secondary actions beyond player control, hence making the whole thing quite unpredictable. :? )

lightbane

Arcane
I saw Diplomacy too, to tell the enemies to surrender and die... I mean or die, and see what happens.

PS: Mr. Barbarian, if due a bad choice Codexia is raped to death will this game end or we'll be able to start again with a new civilization?

Angthoron

Arcane
That's just the thing though. On one hand, we have a weakened Codexia that's finally getting up on its feet with some fantastic counter-offensives but still weak for a proper battle. On the other hand, we have an alien empire of an unknown size, unknown motive and unknown language. Every option leads to a potential loss, however, preparing for the next phase of war would at least give some guarantees and control - the other two options are more of a gambit, neither of which is supported by, well, anything.

Then again, Codexia's resources aren't endless either. We'll see what comes out of parleying!

The Barbarian

Liturgist
We passed the Rule of Five some time back, and just kept on going. So, the Barbarian declares Diplomacy the winner by a fair margin.

It might be an hour or two before the update goes online, and then upwards of fifteen hours before the next one. Damned toil in the mortal realm; oh how the Barbarian loathes it!

EDIT:

lightbane - Once the game reaches its conclusion, the Barbarian is considering either running another version of it (this is a fairly fast-paced sort of game), or a version of it in another setting. Post-apocalyptic tribe, anyone? Or perhaps a medieval realm? Who knows. The Barbarian loves his 4X. But it is premature to hold such discussions, in any case.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Well, a halfway competent administration would, in all three options, engage in some military build-up. Diplomacy doesn't mean leaving your territory entirely unprotected, but I can see how we do need more assurances against something that hasn't even attempted to convey any messages to us besides "we're killing ur folkz".

Unless it's an Ender's Game scenario.

Still, rushing into full scale war against something we didn't even know was pretty silly.

edit: Well, that the masterful Barbarian has given us a deadline of 15 hours before his next next update probably (hopefully) means that diplomacy wasn't the game-ending choice that led to defeat. Whether weakened or strengthened by diplomacy, Codexia still has a fighting chance!

Angthoron

Arcane
I hope Barbarian considers us a semi-competent administration then.

And yes, that was a rather sudden turn of events, I wonder if that explorer killed some important bug couple on their honeymoon or something?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
To be honest, had the shoe been on the other foot, and it was our explorer that got killed while exploring their territory, Codex would probably have voted to go raid those nasty alien scum for revenge and loot.

laclongquan

Arcane
You think? Risk trillions of materiels and hundred thousands of troops on the unknown loots? Hah!

Should that hypothetical situation arose I would vote Contact and Free Trade. I bet on the ability of Codexians to honestdeal, doubledeal, and rip-off to make profit, instead of spending my troops and my war capability to gain minimal loots.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
And you'd be in the minority, judging from the WAR!!! PURGE THE FILTHY XENOS!!! reaction that led us into this situation in the first place. :lol:

The Barbarian

Liturgist
The End of the Beginning

The success of the Great Counter-Offensive had been total; a victory crushing enough to take the wind out of the Raumen sails. The decision to conduct diplomacy thereafter had been made difficult by that fact. The public was baying for blood, now that it seemed the blood flowing might be from Raumeni wounds. Codexia, proud winners of the most significant battles of the war, hitherto, was now determined to extend the proverbial hand of peace, or the olive branch, if you will. It was not destined to be a simple process. There were a number of further skirmishes, as Codexian vessels attempted to approach known Raumeni concentrations with their missile ports closed; disengaging when attacked, only to return later and probe further.

Continuous offers of a dignified cease fire were broadcast on all frequencies, with no Raumeni response. Laser comms were similarly unsuccessful - it was weeks before the techies finally figured out that the insectoids considered them to be target designators. It was only after a happenstance switch to MASER communication arrays was made that a flicker of a startled response from a Raumen outpost was picked up. Long messages were exchanged of what must have been garbled nonsense to both sides. Eventually, the universal language of mathematics came into use, and a rudimentary understanding was reached. Contact had finally been established! That contact was followed by a wave of initial euphoria. What the Codexian government learned over the next several months, however, proved almost impossible to digest.

The Raumeni turned out to be a deeply individualistic (even hyper-individualistic) and family oriented people. Artisans and merchants with a mean streak, they nonetheless avoided conflict, unless attacked. They may have resembled oversized Codexian insects very closely, but they were not those insects, in fact. The war Codexia had been so desperately waging was considered by the Raumeni Confederacy to be a 'local dispute' between outsiders and two Raumeni clans who had laid a claim to the area. It had never been a strategic war of annihilation for them. Rather, it was a traditionally Raumeni conflict of feints, small-scale confrontations and raids. The insectoids were deeply surprised by the Codexian reaction to the affair. When the Codexian General Staff learned the scale of the Confederacy as a whole (a thousand lightyears of settled territory and almost two dozen densely settled worlds) the implications gave them nightmares.

Almost purely by chance, they had avoided drawing in more than two clans and their closest allies into the war. And now... it was all over. Peace. Peace was finally upon Codexianity. Nearly two years of suffering was at an end. The de-mobilization that followed was slow and ponderous; the economy ruined. The people were both thankful that the war was over, and unhappy at the futility of their sacrifices. Getting back to 'normal' was going to take time. The government now had to prioritize.

Do you... concentrate your resources in the resuscitation of the shattered economy, alleviating the pressures of the war on your people?

OR

Do you... let the economy stitch itself back together naturally, instead prioritizing technological development?

OR

Do you... use this opportunity to strengthen your fleets, maintain a powerful military and to institute laws fortifying the powers of the central government?

wjw

Augur
Personally I favor A. With a running economy we could trade with the Raumen and possible buy some of their technology. (instead of doing all the research ourselves)

With the improved trade relations comes improved knowledge of the Universe. We might as well learn about a planet with blue (and extremely sexy) humanoids, who knows?

taplonaplo

Scholar
I'm for option A too.
Technical developments can wait, until we have reestablished our economic background. The people of Codexia deserve a break, and if we are to ever go against war against the Raumen (or anyone else for that matter), we better people with faith in the government.

lightbane

Arcane
wjw said:
With the improved trade relations comes improved knowledge of the Universe. We might as well learn about a planet with blue (and extremely sexy) humanoids, who knows?

Heretic detected. Still, sadly, we must regenerate first our economy. After this Codexia will be able to priorize technological development and develop rapid-firing micro-rocket launchers for example, and with time stablish alliances with the xenos to know their weaknesses and prepare the Ultimate Crusade of Purification or UCP.

Long story short: A.

LazyD

Liturgist
Fuck the stimulus package!

I vote B. Were in the stone age compared to the Raumen and who knows who else.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom