Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The current state of emulators

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Cool, but can we get back to talking about emulators?

You don't need a mod to play the Metroid Prime trilogy with M+K. I was able to configure it under "Wiimote emulation" in the settings. The third game was a bit janky though.

I have to say though, it's totally worth it to use a real Wiimote for certain games. I purchased a USB sensor bar so I could use a Wiimote to play LoZ: Skyward Sword, and I discovered that I actually like it better than M+K for the Metroid games.

Yeah, some emulation experiences even require special controllers or controllers with special features. Zelda: Breath of the Wild for example, while beautifully emulated on Cemu, needs a controller with gyros to solve its many crucial physics-based puzzles. I used my trusty old DS4 for my playthrough.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Not when it comes to child abuse. Either you're for it or against it, and so far you seem to be for it. There will never be a situation where it's o.k. to transition a child. I hope to god you're never let around any children because you are definitely a danger to them.

Next time you try posturing or virtue-signalling here, remember that we now know this about you. You can't play that card anymore.

Alright, now we can resume talking about emulators. You can emulate gyro functions on a mouse using a program someone made for Cemu, peeps, you don't necessarily need extra hardware.

EDIT: You can also emulate the gyro on your mobile phone as well by using its gyro, using yet another program someone made for this stuff.

There's also a Cemu mod that maps gyro functions/axises to the physical buttons on your game pad as well but I never got that one to work, I ended up using the mouse one.

Last edited:

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Voices in your head maybe? Hence the use of the phrase "we know about you" in your post above where you claim so much about things I literally never said. You just assume, assume, assume, making an "ass" of "u" and "me." Well, you anyway :D

JDR13

Arcane
Cool, but can we get back to talking about emulators?

You don't need a mod to play the Metroid Prime trilogy with M+K. I was able to configure it under "Wiimote emulation" in the settings. The third game was a bit janky though.

I have to say though, it's totally worth it to use a real Wiimote for certain games. I purchased a USB sensor bar so I could use a Wiimote to play LoZ: Skyward Sword, and I discovered that I actually like it better than M+K for the Metroid games.

Yeah, some emulation experiences even require special controllers or controllers with special features. Zelda: Breath of the Wild for example, while beautifully emulated on Cemu, needs a controller with gyros to solve its many crucial physics-based puzzles. I used my trusty old DS4 for my playthrough.

I had no idea there were gyro puzzles in BotW. I've played around the starting area but never fully dove into it because I want to complete a playthough of Skyward Sword first.

Coincidently, I'm also using a DS4 as my PC controller. Do the gyroscope functions work automatically in CEMU or does it need to be configured in some way?

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I'm also using a DS4 as my PC controller. Do the gyroscope functions work automatically in CEMU or does it need to be configured in some way?

I had to use a later build of DS4Windows and do some configuring to get it to work with ZBOTW on Cemu IIRC.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
How is Citra these days? Although I'd have to be real hard-pressed to emulate a dual screen portable.

3W72119s5BjWMGm4Xa2MvD5AT2bJsSA8F9WeC71v1s1fKfGkK9mMKuc3LcvF4KigbWg9UsrpEPFvqpcQ2hRotFqC98opcVpkPKGYmcqXgunnhnBvd9BGGN

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
Also who the fuck wastes time ripping games? If you're that afraid of the man just download already-ripped ISOs of games you own, since there is no way to trace an ISO back to a physical copy.

EDIT: I'm saying that if somehow you were taken to court there is no forensics available that would be able to establish that the ISO being played came from your game disc, so don't bother ripping them just download an already-ripped ISO of whatever game you own.

It's more a case of this being something that I'd prefer to do myself, because it's nice to know how. I just wish it wasn't based on 10 year old software and binaries that are no longer easy to find.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard

I have this weird case of nostalgia where i never had a Nintendo 64 or a Playstation or even a PC with a 3D graphics accelerator until ~2002, yet i can't get enough of these low poly, low texture resolution graphics (especially, for some reason, on high resolutions where they appear too "clean")...

What game is this?

Shadows of the Empire

Beastro

Arcane
As someone who now wants to attempt Shadows of the Empire, and finally get into trying the Metroid Prime games, do emulators offer keyboard and mouse options and handle such games well using them?

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I have this weird case of nostalgia where i never had a Nintendo 64 or a Playstation or even a PC with a 3D graphics accelerator until ~2002, yet i can't get enough of these low poly, low texture resolution graphics (especially, for some reason, on high resolutions where they appear too "clean")...

What game is this?

Shadows of the Empire

Thanks. This is nice since i bought the game a few months ago on GOG but haven't played it yet.

As someone who now wants to attempt Shadows of the Empire, and finally get into trying the Metroid Prime games, do emulators offer keyboard and mouse options and handle such games well using them?
Even though it is possible to remap stick axes to the mouse, and while it's technically possible to play console FPS in Dolphin and what not with the mouse and keyboard, deadzones are often extremely fucked up. I tried playing Timesplitters Future Perfect the other day with kb/m and just gave up.

Beastro

Arcane
I'm concerned because I hate modern analog sticks of all kinds. I simply do not like any of them given how unnatural they feel for my thumb to you.

The one that came the closest to being fine was the N64 controller, but even that was a mess when you tried to use it finely.

I gave up on consoles after the N64 and have never used my Rumblepads analog sticks whenever I use a controller. I either play with the d-pad or not at all. The only exception was playing Oblivion while staying at my cousins back in 2007, but I had to since it was the only game he really had for his PS3 and hated the controls the entire time.

I recall visiting a friend and watching him play Metroid Prime and could literally feel how awkward the controllers were from how he was moving about and doing shit. All I could think of was how simpler and more fluid the gameplay would have been had he had a mouse and keyboard.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Gamepad emulation is a thing too, since so many games available on Steam and its ilk only fully supported the xinput of Xbox 360/Xbox One controllers. I have a 2nd generation DS4 controller and I was a complete apostle of DS4Windows until recently, preaching about its ability to perfectly emulate the Xbox controllers in windows. Then I had an epiphany, and the Voice of God came to me on the mount and said, "Thou shall shall not use DS4Windows! You do know it can't do exclusive mode right, right?" Well, nearly. Exclusive mode (necessitated by a patch Microsoft introduced into one of its anniversary updates) is the ability of Xbox controller emulation software to fool your system into fully thinking there's only a real Xbox controller (or a 100% compatible knock-off) plugged into its ports or using wireless. DS4Windows is a venerable and classic piece of software but even the most recent builds completely fuck up exclusive mode. Why is exclusive mode important, you may ask? Many games like Dark Souls 3 for PC will only work properly if they detect Xbox controllers in use.

The lack of a functioning exclusive mode means your system will be confused detecting both an Xbox controller and a DS4 controller simultaneously with resulting double input strokes, misassigned button mapping and all sorts of weird crap. Shadow Tactics - Blades of the Shogun for example needs exclusive mode. And In RetroArch, the software gets so completely confused that most of the time your Xbox controller emulated DS4 won't even work if you use DS4Windows. That was the last straw for me. Now I have to use InputMapper which is an ugly beast with bugs up its arse but at least it WORKS with exclusive mode 100% of the time - if you install the special HidGaurdian service that enables exclusive mode and will completely delete all your hardware registry keys if you use a dedicated uninstall program ie Total Uninstall Pro. Oh, the crap we endure for emulation! Sorry for the wall of text, but DS4Wndows was a big part of my life for the longest time, and now its gone. Dead to me.

Last edited:

Beastro

Arcane

Oi Makabb!

You get a nasty flicker playing this that you had to fix?

If so, how'd ya do it? Peeking around the only thing i could find is to DL Rice's Video Plugin 5.9.9 as the older one works best with the game but I'm coming up blank looking it up.

Beastro

Arcane
Found a fix.

What kind of idiot hides advanced options?

And now it's doing a 30 second delay to launch the fucking emu bumming for denations! :argh:

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Found a fix.

And now it's doing a 30 second delay to launch the fucking emu bumming for denations! :argh:

download gliden64 graphic plugin by gonetz, search for latest wip version.

as for donations, go into p64 config file and change

[support p64]
runcount=-1

it will disable it.

Beastro

Arcane
Found a fix.

download gliden64 graphic plugin by gonetz, search for latest wip version.

as for donations, go into p64 config file and change

[support p64]
runcount=-1

it will disable it.

Found a fix within advanced options. Go to romsettings and set one per frame or something.

Checked that and found it was already set to that, but found the PW phrase they ask for and put it in the code's "thank you from project64".

Slowly got myhead back around the first stage, but I really forgot how terrible ground combat is in this game. It very much is endured to get to the vehicle stages.

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
Whether transitioning 3 year olds should be allowed is a yes/no topic, not a "discussion". Your 200 word essays about how you refuse to discuss this topic of child abuse says all we need to know about you. Keep trying to play moral authority elsewhere though.

No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no.

I think this 200 word essay is acceptable. Also, it's not a transition in the sense the crazies want you to think, because people don't magically change their sex. It's a transition from being a mentally ill person with attached genitals into being a mentally ill person with mutilated genitals.

In other news, is VBA still the gameboy emulator of choice?

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
In other news, is VBA still the gameboy emulator of choice?

Mednafen emulates with great accuracy:

Apple II/II+
Atari Lynx
Neo Geo Pocket (Color)
WonderSwan
GameBoy (Color)
GameBoy Advance
Nintendo Entertainment System
Super Nintendo Entertainment System/Super Famicom
Virtual Boy
PC Engine/TurboGrafx 16 (CD)
SuperGrafx
PC-FX
Sega Game Gear
Sega Genesis/Megadrive
Sega Master System
Sega Saturn (experimental, x86_64 only)
Sony PlayStation

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Citra plays 3ds games great, playing ocarina of time and it's great

Baron Dupek

Arcane
^
isn't that list outdated/not updated that often?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom