Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls Discussion Thread

No Great Name

Arcane
I played on Prepare to Die edition and I tried out both with DSFix and without it in the beginning. I ended up deciding to uninstall it and play through the rest of the game without it since the only real difference it made to me was that DSFix allowed for higher resolutions which I didn't care too much for. The entire game played just fine for me and the only FPS drops I ever had was when I was fighting Seethe the Scaleless and his crystals that filled up the screen with particle effects.

RoSoDude

Arcane
Yeah, the ladder by the rats on the way to Undead Parish is bugged at 60FPS, and you'll also have your jumping distance cut by ~30%. I can personally confirm that this doesn't make any of the jumps in the game impossible, though a few definitely become stupid (I got to the Iaito in Blighttown by some pixel perfect angling and jump timing to collide with and slide down a particular glitchy post, which probably took around 10 attempts). I had simply figured the game was as hardcore with its limited platforming as it was with its exploration and combat design, heh. Two of my friends were convinced my game was cursed when they couldn't get some of the easy intended plunging attacks/roll platforming to work, which finally clued me into thinking something might be up.

I'm pretty sure there's an in-game toggle for 30/60FPS in DSFix (default Backspace?), so just keep that in mind when you come to a tricky jump.

EDIT: Also, don't ignore the Dark Souls Input Customizer mod. It's essential if you want to play the Prepare to Die Edition with M+KB, but also has some handy features for gamepad users as well. Plus its creator is :love:

Last edited:
My advice for DSFix - use FPS unlock to fix performance and cap the framerate to 30. There are two ladders that I found to be bugged if you slide down them - one in Undead Burg, other in Dukes Archives. But that's minor stuff compared to decreased jump distance and the fact that even animations look weird at 60. I also once had my character fall through the floor near a bonfire next to smith in Undead Burg and restarting the game didn't fix it. Can't confirm it was caused specifically by going above 30 FPS but I was using 60 at the time. Game feels fine at 30 FPS, honestly. And it will allow you to go for moar grafix too.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Can I just take a moment to suck my own dick here? I started ranting against the Remaster the moment they announced it early this winter. I had to take numerous slings and arrows from people bleeting about enlivening the online community, better graphix and "if you don't like it don't buy it". Feels so good to be vindicated about this piece of shit Remaster. I fucking called it from day one. I know stroking your own dick is unbecoming but god it feels good.

What's worst is this garbage may actually destroy any chances we had for an ultimate DS experience with all the suggestions and improvements the community came up with over the years. So the "don't like it, don't buy it" argument is retarded beyond words. Fuck this gay Earth and fuck Bamco into all their orifices.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Say what you want but you can't play as 2B in the original game

100-1541857035-1557456034.jpeg

100-1541857044-135475713.jpeg

100-1541857113-324914104.jpeg

An that makes the reeemaster BETTER

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
So the "don't like it, don't buy it" argument is retarded beyond words.

The problem highlighted in the video is that they pulled the original game from the store. The player base for the original port would not have died that fast if there wasn't an expectation of it dying due to the original game being inaccessible to new players.
It's a fucking dickmove that made it mandatory to buy the remaster for those who cared about the online experience (I personally don't, but to each his own) because only the remaster could get a new infusion of player. And then people realized the remaster is actually shit and dropped it altogether, killing DS1 for good.

When you compare how other devs handle remasters or enhanced edition it's really terrible. Not a great game, but if you have DOS:EE you always get the original release too.

And even though I'm not a gfx whore but I really, really can't stand how damaged the game looks in the remaster. It's not a monitor contrast issue as some retarded POS tried to pretend. They fucked textures, they fucked shaders, there's no setting to modify to undo the damage. It ruins the feel of so many areas and scenes. Crowbcat did an autistic super long video highlighting pretty much all the changes :

Those lighting changes in very iconic moments like the crow cutscenes, what the fuck? Why does something so early in the game and so iconic look so washed out and drab?
Did they actually playtest this shit? did they actually care?
nbIsXSl.png

You'd think the remastered version is on the left here, but it's actually the one on the right.

Guess which is which :

pYnaAZ7.png

QnbpozJ.png

Such an insulting piece of garbage. If they had resold the original as a remaster without a single change besides including stuff that dsfix does like 60fps I would be less offended than them selling an objectively worse product. It's horrifying that you can take something that's good, destroy the effort that went into its art and get away with selling it at $40 for new players.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I need to fire up the PS3 version again. When I last played it in August there was still plenty of PvP going on. But I could never get Gravelorded... well, maybe this time I will try to gravelord someone, but it will take time ;-)

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I need to fire up the PS3 version again. When I last played it in August there was still plenty of PvP going on. But I could never get Gravelorded... well, maybe this time I will try to gravelord someone, but it will take time ;-)
Gravelording only actually working in NG+ (there's no phantoms in NG, the only thing that appears is the summon sign for the gravelorder) pretty much killed any interest there could have been in the covenant and very few people do it, mostly people playing at higher levels I'd guess. The chances of encountering a lower soul level gravelorder while playing NG+ must be like winning the lottery.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
The original DaS didn't have the most impressive engine and tech of sorts, but the artists really did good with what they had when it came to little details that added to the mood. Some areas look pretty nasty like Demon's Ruins but others are true work of art.
From the O&S cutscene, the original :
VMW180F.png

Look at the shine of tiny light sources upon the armor in the dark. It's subtle details but they really add to the moodiness of the scene.

Then the remaster :

NdvBCfb.png

Oh yeah, it's a bit clearer in terms of visibility and texture resolution. It also loses all the intent behind the art. And that's the thing, the people who made DaS were, I dare say, real artists. It's not about resolution, 4k 60fps and slime shader on walls or whatever. It's what they made with the tools at hand. Outside of areas that were rushed to completion, you can feel an intent at work behind everything, thought put into why something should look like this, do we need a light source there and so on.

Another example of iconic moment being savaged :

jWtMA2N.jpg

The remaster is just butchering the hardwork going into the small details and atmosphere of the game. Why is Sif's belly so bright but the shiny piece of metal dead?

The people who did this should never touch another video game in their lives.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I couldn’t believe so called “fans” like Jim Sterling being perfectly fine and happy with the Remaster; the new lighting system absolutely butchers the mood and look of the original game and even the smooth 60 FPS and proper support for resolutions and scalable UI it simply didn’t warrant a price tag and the removal of the original game from Steam

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I couldn’t believe so called “fans” like Jim Sterling being perfectly fine and happy with the Remaster; the new lighting system absolutely butchers the mood and look of the original game and even the smooth 60 FPS and proper support for resolutions and scalable UI it simply didn’t warrant a price tag and the removal of the original game from Steam
Jim Sterling is a fat faggot

retinoid

Savant
I went back to playing the PDTE as the modding on that version is starting to get interesting, and honestly the only things that I miss from the Remaster are the objective improvements to the Spell and Pyro effects and 60fps Blighttown. Even with dsfix and a beefy CPU it could get pretty horrendous.

^You can click on the link Or increase the time span. It's sitting at 800 players now. DS3 is doing well enough. PTDE had sat around the 4k mark for the better part of a decade with occasional boosts when it went on sale (and it stopped going on sale over a year before the remaster). Four thousand players was enough to still be able to reliably invade/get coop anywhere (with dscm).

It all obviously goes to shit once DSRE is announced at the beginning of the year & PTDE gets delisted, and both versions quickly die out once the novelty of RE's launch passes.

Last edited:

sullynathan

Arcane
It puts things into perspective as to why some people wouldn't like dark souls

He does beat the gargoyles by the 3rd try.

RoSoDude

Arcane
"How do I take off the shield? I'm never gonna use a shield in this game. I don't play with a fuckin' shield"

:salute:

LOL it took me way more than 3 tries to beat the Bell Gargoyles. I was being a stubborn idiot and refusing to upgrade my weapon (because in a lot of RPGs it's a waste to dump any upgrades into your early gear) and trying to do stupid cheese like plinking them down with arrows when I failed with a sword. No boss after that took me more than 3 tries until Artorias in the DLC, after which I did Bed of Chaos (grrrr) and Gwyn, all of which prompted an embarrassing number of attempts. Gwyn probably would have been a first attempt kill if I hadn't insisted on only parrying and riposting him, which apparently my puny Neanderthal sape brain couldn't handle.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
When I finally beat the gargoyles it felt as if I was halfway through the game. One bell out of two, right?

(I wasn't reading anything about the game. And pumped Resistance.)

baturinsky

Arcane
I played DS1:R, DS2 and DS3 on PC keyboard+mouse, and so far I think DS1:R is my favourite by far. It has sane k+m controls and sane character building. I really can feel the difference between builds and loadouts and can tweak them according to situation and feel the difference. DS3 is worse (such as, armor is useless), but still playable. DS2 is confusing in controls, mechanics and level design to the point I just have no idea what I'm supposed to do.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom