Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls Discussion Thread

Perkel

Arcane
I've noticed Daughters of Ash is getting a lot of good press lately so I might try that soon just for something to do.

It is pretty good.

PrettyDeadman

Dark Souls Bosses in a nutshell:

jhiihcE.jpg
I don't get it.

mogwaimon

Magister
Since for me an important part of DS's appeal is deciphering stories written by item placement, I say no to item randomizers.
I mean, I wouldn't do a randomizer for a first run, but there's only so much excitement you can get out of 'oh wow this corpse has this key on it, he was the npc that other npc referred to who went down to get supplies' or whatever over multiple runs.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Anyone here still doing DS2 SOFTS PVP?

Or just random invasions? Kinda wish that the game was more active on that front, since the PVP was fantastic, and definitely better than 3 and 1.

RoSoDude

Arcane
The moment I'd consider installing a mod that replaces a game's carefully crafted encounter design with naive randomness just for the sake of muh variety is the moment I'd just start playing a different game instead.

[Not a screed against randomness in general, but it has to be integrated with the design in a balanced manner]

mogwaimon

Magister
Well I'm in a living situation where my roommates have screaming children until the end of April so I don't want to play anything new and dilute the experience with constant distractions. I wanted to play a Souls game and the only ones I've completed are Dark Souls and Demon Souls. I started with Demon's Souls but RPCS3 didn't perform up to expectations so I did Dark instead. I've already beaten it normally so I figured I'd just put a twist on it. Otherwise I'd be playing Sekiro right now complaining about the difficulty in the other thread like everyone else

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
The moment I'd consider installing a mod that replaces a game's carefully crafted encounter design with naive randomness just for the sake of muh variety is the moment I'd just start playing a different game instead.

[Not a screed against randomness in general, but it has to be integrated with the design in a balanced manner]

561072262011158538.png

sullynathan

Arcane
Well I'm in a living situation where my roommates have screaming children until the end of April so I don't want to play anything new and dilute the experience with constant distractions. I wanted to play a Souls game and the only ones I've completed are Dark Souls and Demon Souls. I started with Demon's Souls but RPCS3 didn't perform up to expectations so I did Dark instead. I've already beaten it normally so I figured I'd just put a twist on it. Otherwise I'd be playing Sekiro right now complaining about the difficulty in the other thread like everyone else
Dark Souls 2, Dark Soule 3, Bloodborne, Nioh, The Surge, Cholo Knight.

mogwaimon

Magister
I think you guys may want to reread my post, I didn't want to play anything new, that I hadn't played before, because of the noise and distractions here. I already own DS2, 3, Bloodborne, Sekiro, and Nioh, I just haven't gotten around to playing them yet and though i'm in the mood now the environment isn't ideal. I had already played and beaten DeS and DS1 a few years ago so I had no problem with replaying them because I'd already done full playthroughs.

Maybe it's autism, but consider the difference between watching a film with friends at their place or watching a film on your own. When you watch on your own you can give your full focus to the film and immerse yourself in the atmosphere, catch tiny details, think critically about it, etc. While, if you're at a friend's house, even if you're getting into the movie there's always the one friend who talks, or the one friend who explains the movie as it's going on, or some other event that takes you out of the experience of the film.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Trying some overhauls now.

- Fucking hated the Scorched Contract, this is tailored for Lobos and other challenge streamers. Fuck that shit.
- Daughers of Ash is...well VERY overhauled. Some good things, some bad. The new boss battles are great. Just shows you how lame most DS1 vanilla bosses are in comparison. Most of the secrets are of the "community" sort though, meaning people will randomly throw shit on the wall, some of it sticks and then it's posted on a forum. Just like the vanilla secrets I suppose. Not for me.
- Prepare to Die Again is awesome. Exactly what I want from an overhaul mod. The game isn't completely new like DoA but it's fresh enough to keep you pushing on. Boss battles aren't as epic but they've been toughened up. Fighting Oscar AND Taurus on the bridge was p. tense. In Depths now but really enjoying it so far.

Silva

Arcane
What's the best "stretch" in the whole games (Sekiro counting, if possible)?

I think DS Firelink to Anor Londo may be the best, but BB Iosefka Clinic to Byrgenweth is also excellent.

Actually if we count very small stretches, then DS first shortcut (Firelink to Parish ?) is amazing.

Nothing in DS2 or DS3 comes to mind now. How about DeS, some memorable stretches in it ?

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
How about DeS, some memorable stretches in it ?
The entirety of Demon's Souls is a memorable stretch. +M

Ee6NGcp.jpg

Soul of the lost, withdrawn from its vessel.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended,
so the world might be mended.

Soul of the mind, key to life's ether.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended.
So the world might be mended.

Deflowerer

Arcane
The whole Boletaria is great, but for a continous stretch, from the beginning of Boletaria to Tower Knight is classic.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom