Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls Discussion Thread

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
No matter what youtube videos say, the best weapon in the game is Black Knight Halberd.
Runner-up: Black Knight Sword.
Honorable mention: Halberd.

Filthy casul.

Gargoyle Halberd buffed with either INT or FTH buffs does probably +50% the damage of a +5 BK weapon, and can easily match the length, with the same stats.

Stop preaching heresies absorbed from clickbait youtube videos! Heathen! Heretic!

Beggar

Cipher
No matter what youtube videos say, the best weapon in the game is Black Knight Halberd.

Filthy casul.

Gargoyle Halberd buffed with either INT or FTH buffs does probably +50% the damage of a +5 BK weapon, and can easily match the length, with the same stats.

Stop preaching heresies absorbed from clickbait youtube videos! Heathen! Heretic!
I'm talking about PvE from start to finish. Your halberd isn't even in top 5. Regular attack has a swing over your head before the actual attack, which leaves you open for a second. I don't care about buffs, maximum damage dealt and other speedrun bullshit. Black Knight Halberd is a destroyer in every situation, your Gargoyle Halberd isn't.

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut

Filthy casul.

I'm talking about PvE from start to finish. Your halberd isn't even in top 5. Regular attack has a swing over your head before the actual attack, which leaves you open for a second. I don't care about buffs, maximum damage dealt and other speedrun bullshit. Black Knight Halberd is a destroyer in every situation, your Gargoyle Halberd isn't.
I don't know.

After you've played enough DS, it's all about if you like the moveset of a weapon or not. And I've never liked the 'Knight' weapons, silver or black. (The big axe is alright, I guess...)

If you want to have an easy time, get the Zweihander. Maybe the Gravelord Greatsword, if you can reach it. Otherwise just find a weapon you can 'identify' with, and keep it.

Beggar

Cipher

Filthy casul.

I don't know.

After you've played enough DS, it's all about if you like the moveset of a weapon or not. And I've never liked the 'Knight' weapons, silver or black. (The big axe is alright, I guess...)

If you want to have an easy time, get the Zweihander. Maybe the Gravelord Greatsword, if you can reach it. Otherwise just find a weapon you can 'identify' with, and keep it.

It was my opinion and the most known opinion in the community that you form after you realize that the game is about learning patterns and luring your enemies. But after that comes realization that there is more efficient ways to do everything. For example good luck fighting skeleton dogs in the Tomb of the Giants with axe. If you want to do that, you'll probably use magic to lure them in order to hit them. It's a slogfest without flow. Zweihander is terrible against regular enemies, it's too slow

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

There is so much garbage intertwined with personal opinion, combined with fantasy, that I need a point-by-point anal-sys to figure this out, so let's do it:

I'm talking about PvE from start to finish.
So was I.
Your halberd isn't even in top 5.
From what I can gather, you haven't played long enough to have a decent top 5, if you consider the BK weapons as superior as you make them out to be.
Regular attack has a swing over your head before the actual attack, which leaves you open for a second.
This sounds like it is a personal preference rather than a valid point. I find all of the halberds having this same "issue" - it's part of their gameplay and a drawback you have to overcome.

Having said that, I've never had a problem with them, except maybe the Lucerne, but that's a whole other bag-of-tricks to talk about. Not the case here. So I'll give you this point.
I don't care about buffs, maximum damage dealt and other speedrun bullshit.
You should care about buffs, big guy, because a BK weapon can't be buffed. Maximum damage dealt IS a factor, because it's potential damage that you could swing. And speedrunning... (I can't believe I have to explain this, but here we go...) is done at SOUL LEVEL 1.
Any other kind of "speedrunning" is casualized shit, for the kids in the audience under the age of 5, and the elderly above 95.
Black Knight Halberd is a destroyer in every situation, your Gargoyle Halberd isn't.
No. (although it *may* be relevant against demons, but even there it falls short)

Last edited:

Beggar

Cipher
How many hours you have on PvE?
How long it takes for you to to beat the game with killing everything and collecting everything? Can you do that without dying?

Beggar

Cipher
Don't facepalm me boy. Your tongue is sharp but what about your true skills in this game? So far you only tried to show everyone that you're a smart ass

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
The BKH really does just annihilate everything in PVE. It staggers anything that it doesn't outright kill, it comes out either faster or from farther than anything you fight, and the basic two handed initial swing has a hitbox that pretty much nothing avoids and never catches on walls. It's strength based so you've basically capped the scaling as soon as you're using it by two handing, it requires no embers, no consumables, no spells to do fucktons of damage, and it has a major damage bonus against many bosses. It just works really well, it was used in speedruns for a reason, in spite of being an uncommon drop off an enemy that doesn't show up till 8 minutes or something into the run, which is a serious limiting factor to how many attempts you can make while running.

Yeah you can get higher theoretical dps with a great scythe +15 or whatever the fuck but who cares the game is over at that point anyways and nobody is running around putting lightning resin on a gargoyle halberd to fight normal enemies.

I'll concede the drake sword being a decent noob weapon as well, but it lacks the range and stagger that let the BKH faceroll everything.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
BKH is a great weapon but I've never ever run it. It's just too boring for anything but powah fantasy. I've never run other fan favourites like the Zwei or the Scythe either. I like weird fun shit like clubs, daggers or the trident.

Cat Dude

Savant
Dark Souls is a jrpg? I thought it is a western style rpg made by a japanese game studio. Now I probably can say hamburger made in Japan is japanese food or Rendang made in Japan might also be considered japanese food.

Ysaye

Arbiter
Dark Souls is a jrpg? I thought it is a western style rpg made by a japanese game studio. Now I probably can say hamburger made in Japan is japanese food or Rendang made in Japan might also be considered japanese food.

I would say that it is natural for the human mind to generalise and then near-instantly decide and disciminate based upon that generalisation ("Fast" thinking), just as naturally as it is to then rationalise and realise that that generalisation has "problems" and that it might be better to be more specific ("slow thinking"), leading to slicing and dicing in a slightly different (although not "necessarily definitively better") way.

The problems we then have is that if everything is unique, then nothing can be categorised, and hence in a moment of choice, we find cannot make a quick decision, as we cannot discriminate between choices "in time", good or evil or even just aesthetic taste of likes and dislikes. This inevitably leads to...

"You died"

Cat Dude

Savant

I would say that it is natural for the human mind to generalise and then near-instantly decide and disciminate based upon that generalisation ("Fast" thinking), just as naturally as it is to then rationalise and realise that that generalisation has "problems" and that it might be better to be more specific ("slow thinking"), leading to slicing and dicing in a slightly different (although not "necessarily definitively better") way.

The problems we then have is that if everything is unique, then nothing can be categorised, and hence in a moment of choice, we find cannot make a quick decision, as we cannot discriminate between choices "in time", good or evil or even just aesthetic taste of likes and dislikes. This inevitably leads to...

"You died"

I played Dark Souls and like it a lot. Some people think it is an action rpg. For them Dark Souls should not be categorized as either western style or japanese style. So it must stay that way. But there are tons of western style action rpgs especially on console tbh. I also played some of From Software's earlier games from the Kings' Field series, which are pretty hardcore dungeon crawlers inspired by Ultima Underworld and the early Elder Scrolls games. Exactly my cup of tea.

I haven't found any other Japanese developer who made any games like those, though except may be Dragon's Dogma.

Last edited:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Many Codexers use the term JRPG to mean Japanese-developed RPG, as opposed to the more common usage referring to a game in the JRPG subgenre, which leads to endless confusion. :M

BlackGoat

Arbiter
Just SL1'd this shit. Pretty easy overall, tho I have DS down pretty solid at this point. Great Combustion/Combustion makes everything pretty lollerskates. Ornstein and co was a minor roadblock, so it goes. 1 shotted 4kings.

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
I'm playing Dark Souls ATM for the first time in my life. I don't like action games, or action RPGs, so that's why it took me so long.

This game is literally one of the best game I ever played. I'm having so much fun. I'm bad, but I like it. I have 30 something hours now, and I'm not done yet. I'm not reading any guide or anything (unless I'm 100% stuck and frustrated), and I don't really have a build. But I'm having a blast. This game is gold.

Villagkouras

Arcane
I'm playing Dark Souls ATM for the first time in my life. I don't like action games, or action RPGs, so that's why it took me so long.

This game is literally one of the best game I ever played. I'm having so much fun. I'm bad, but I like it. I have 30 something hours now, and I'm not done yet. I'm not reading any guide or anything (unless I'm 100% stuck and frustrated), and I don't really have a build. But I'm having a blast. This game is gold.

Enjoy it while it is lasts! It took me 60 hours to finish my first playthrough, I was awful, but for me it's the best game ever.

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer

Enjoy it while it is lasts! It took me 60 hours to finish my first playthrough, I was awful, but for me it's the best game ever.

Well for now it is about the same thing for me (I'm at the middle at 35h and loving it as much as I can). Really an experience, quite unique. Just found the Lordvessel and decided to go back to some previous bosses I hadn't killed (Stray Demon and Hydra in Ash Lake) to get my due.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom