Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls Discussion Thread

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I bet there's some ancient japanese text out there that talks about how swordplay is more akin to a DANCE than to cartwheeling
I don't think ancient sword play had you fly on rooftops, explode firecrackers at will to stun and fight ghosts, chinese dragons and demons. If you're going to pull off the muhreality card Sekiro doesn't look any less ridiculous than DS.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
I bet there's some ancient japanese text out there that talks about how swordplay is more akin to a DANCE than to cartwheeling
I don't think ancient sword play had you fly on rooftops, explode firecrackers at will to stun and fight ghosts, chinese dragons and demons. If you're going to pull off the muhreality card Sekiro doesn't look any less ridiculous than DS.

Uhh, that's textbook shinobi fantasy. Haven't you seen Boruto?

maxresdefault.jpg

Middle-ages fantasy, on the other hand, has never involved some fat fuck spam rolling around like a sperg, and it never will, because it looks retarded

Latelistener

Arcane
Looking into the series, but not sure which one to play. The original PTDE has bad framerate even with DSFix, plus there are bugs with things which are tied to 30fps. Remastered works flawless with 60fps, there are parallax occlusion mapping and surface scattering, but it has some visual changes that I don't like.

While looking for a lighting fix for Remastered, I found this (I think there was an article about this guy recently):

He also said some things about the visual downgrade of Dark Souls 2. Not sure where he's got that information though, but he's a developer himself.

Looking into the series, but not sure which one to play. The original PTDE has bad framerate even with DSFix, plus there are bugs with things which are tied to 30fps. Remastered works flawless with 60fps, there are parallax occlusion mapping and surface scattering, but it has some visual changes that I don't like.

While looking for a lighting fix for Remastered, I found this (I think there was an article about this guy recently):

He also said some things about the visual downgrade of Dark Souls 2. Not sure where he's got that information though, but he's a developer himself.

If you have a Switch the Remaster is solid.

Latelistener

Arcane
I checked the videos and the remastered on Switch is looking exactly like the original (X360, PS3, PDTE on PC), which is a good thing, but is it even the remastered version from PC / PS4 / X1? I mean it doesn't have any visual improvements and runs at 30 fps. It's probably would be easier to just play PTDE on PC, unless of course someone wants the handheld mode. I do have access to Switch, but I don't have the game.

I checked the videos and the remastered on Switch is looking exactly like the original (X360, PS3, PDTE on PC), which is a good thing, but is it even the remastered version from PC / PS4 / X1? I mean it doesn't have any visual improvements and runs at 30 fps. It's probably would be easier to just play PTDE on PC, unless of course someone wants the handheld mode. I do have access to Switch, but I don't have the game.

The main selling point is Switch has a much more active community than PTDE at this point. Anecdotally, having played both in the past year I would put it at at least a factor of ten.

Edit: Also playing DS at 60FPS makes certain jumps muuuuch more difficult than was intended.

Last edited:
Took out Dancer, kind of a stupid boss with those twirling neverending attacks, but whatever, not as annoying as Aldrich or Pontifuck.

Now fighting Ocelot. Most of his shit is easy to deal with, but he has these stupid charge attacks. I can dodge them from distance, but sometimes he will be on top of you and charge away, killing you in one shot. So fucking stupid.

P.S. those two greatsword cathedral knights in front of his room are probably the hardest single enemy in the game, including all bosses. Those things have infinite stamina, never stop attacking, cannot be staggered, and have insane reach. I just run past them now. Fuck that shit.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hi. I'm looking for Dark Souls wallpapers with an Easter theme. I've tried using google, but all I get is easter eggs in other games, because of the word usage.

If you can help, please post your wallpaper below, or send me a PM.

Thanks!

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Started playing this game again, been years figured it's time to give it another spin, and... it's like i never stopped playing it i remember everything down to the last detail. I thought especially with my memory being shit i'd be able to get another "fresh" experience but nope, my brain has retained everything and the game just feels so much smaller from the first time i played it. Fug. You had one job memory loss.

Started playing this game again, been years figured it's time to give it another spin, and... it's like i never stopped playing it i remember everything down to the last detail. I thought especially with my memory being shit i'd be able to get another "fresh" experience but nope, my brain has retained everything and the game just feels so much smaller from the first time i played it. Fug. You had one job memory loss.

There have been other good From Software games out since. Like Dark Souls II SOTFS or Sekiro.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
BTW, is it me or the remastered edition looks kinda... ugly? Can't put my fingers on it the lighting is weird for instance.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Fuck, i killed the Capra demon without even getting hit once. WHY AM I SO GOOD AT THIS GAME, i should have become a scrub again, there's no fun like this.

toroid

Arcane
Fuck, i killed the Capra demon without even getting hit once. WHY AM I SO GOOD AT THIS GAME, i should have become a scrub again, there's no fun like this.
Self imposed challenges can keep the game fun for a long time. My favorite way to replay DS1 is to minmax a single class archetype and stay below level 10-15.
Also, shield-only run was surprisingly viable and fun. (hint: you want a shield that can block while attacking to deliver stagger damage regularly without risk)

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
It's not really about the challenge it's mostly not having that feel of awe and vastness. It took me what felt like ages to get to the garden, now i killed the demon guarding the passage in 2m and went straight for the elite knight armor without the slightest concern about the giants.

Ho well. I DID forget something though. Killed the Gaping Dragon before getting invaded by Kirk. Not that i need his armor but it pisses me off. My OCD is kicking in already.

Ysaye

Arbiter
It's not really about the challenge it's mostly not having that feel of awe and vastness. It took me what felt like ages to get to the garden, now i killed the demon guarding the passage in 2m and went straight for the elite knight armor without the slightest concern about the giants.

Ho well. I DID forget something though. Killed the Gaping Dragon before getting invaded by Kirk. Not that i need his armor but it pisses me off. My OCD is kicking in already.

You should have gone straight to the catacombs to fight pinwheel and others the way Miyazaki intended - or have you done that already?

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

Have you already tried the Daugters of Ash mod? In my opinion it manages to bring back some challenge and that feeling of awe.

It really is a 5h long game but it just takes additional 55hs to git gud the first time.

Add to the fact that From Software is locked in a perpetual arms race with the fanbase, trying yo up the ante every time, which makes coming back to DS1 after Sekiro or DS3 dlc bosses that much easier.

Even Sekiro isn't a challenge for me anymore. DSIII is the only one I haven't finished yet because I get bored and uninstall every time I try. Three fucking times now. :lol: I'm not even sure why, it seems like I should like it well enough but it doesn't excite me anywhere near as much as DS, DSII or Sekiro did. I keep telling myself I'll finish it one of these days anyway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom