Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls Discussion Thread

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Lyric Suite have you considered playing perma-gravelorded? It's technically a mod, but should be kosher in the sense that it only adds stuff that was designed by the developers, but which you'll never get to see "organically", so to speak, because the covenant is badly designed. It's a cool way to spice things up a little if you're set on doing NG+.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm weary of using mods remember reading the game anti-cheat picks them up?
I think you can file that under "true in theory". Never had it happen to me, and considering the proliferation of cheaters in the PvP systems I doubt very much that that's something you need to worry about. I get it if you don't want to take the risk, I just like that mod because it's pretty much the only way to get something new out of the game without resorting to user-made content which is so often shitty.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Just tried it. Jesus fuck i still have to use DSfix. I know it has been discontinued years ago but the last time i left the game i had to use some beta alternative to get rid of GFWL but now that's no longer necessary but they still couldn't bother to at least give some resolution options or some shit.

Anyway, i guess i'll use the original to mess around with mods and keep the remastered clean since i assume that's where all the multiplayer action is. Not that it matters as by the next time i'll play the game it will probably be dead for good. I'm just amazed it's still going, especially with two other sequels in there as well.

Before going to DS2 i think i'm going to check to see how playable Demon Souls is on the PS3 emulator.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
One question: is it possible to start NG+ naked?

I always found this system weird. I assume it comes from fighting games and shit like that but i'm not sure it works with an RPG of this scope. You start the game at higher difficulty but you retain everything which means no building, no exploration, no hunting for items, nothing. Plus how many times you can finish the game? Seven? That's overkill, why not make three difficulty settings with maybe new gear and new stuff?

I'm thinking of sending this character to NG+ without any gear, just take the slabs with me for more building variety and then park it there for a future play.

BTW, doesn't seem i'm getting too many matches with the Dark Moon shit. I'm thinking of killing the tranny boss and just shoot for the 120 meta. I'm just starting the DLC now and i'm already SL91 this game drops WAY too many souls damn it. Last time i was SL81 when i got to the last boss but back then i lost tons of shit by dying constantly, but not this time.
I don't think you can go NG+ naked unless you destroy your own items yourself.

Dark Moon can invade downward ~70 levels. Meaning you can invade twinks ganking at SL 1 in Undead Burg, if you plan things right. Also, the same applies, a cop doesn't have to adhere to the 120 meta. They can go up to 160 or more. And as far as targets to invade, either Anor Londo, for the peak. Oolacile, for the experts. PWoA for the mechanics.

mogwaimon

Magister
I just unistalled Daughters of Ash. It was not good. Anybody else had tried it ?
i was thinking about it because they make it sound like there's so much more content and like it's a different experience but you read the reviews on the nexus and a bunch of people are pissed because they removed a lot of the non-linearity and gave everyone more BS attacks or something. what were your thoughts on it? does it actually add anything new or interesting that might warrant giving it a shot, or is it just flat out bad?

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
I just unistalled Daughters of Ash. It was not good. Anybody else had tried it ?
i was thinking about it because they make it sound like there's so much more content and like it's a different experience but you read the reviews on the nexus and a bunch of people are pissed because they removed a lot of the non-linearity and gave everyone more BS attacks or something. what were your thoughts on it? does it actually add anything new or interesting that might warrant giving it a shot, or is it just flat out bad?
Well on Youtube, like you say, people make it sound like its a "removed content" mod, which I normally adore. I played up to the Gargoyle, and not only was it actually a "remove content" mod rather than a "removed" (less treasure, some monsters are gone (like the Black Knight, which were my favorite encounter), etc.) that was SUPER linear (he REALLY wants you to go through his preconceived scheme, making it more difficult to do take other paths). Also, replacing stuff (for example, moving a bonfire or a treasure) is not so much a big deal, it could actually be good. The problem is that every time he does that, it's a "gotcha!" moment that's retarded. Best example:
the bonfire behind the invisible wall in Darkroot Garden has been replaced by ... an invisible golem. As soon as you traverse that wall, he hits you while being invisible and knock you off the ledge. Sure, "Gotcha !". I 0% felt "Wow I should have been more prudent". The only I felt was a neutral "Wow, what a rearded idea".
And the problem is that it's always like this: replacing chests by enemies in dead-end (making exploration moot), making some ennemies way too strong (channeler in undead parish) so it's 100% better to skip them, etc. Also it's not without bug: I had texture bug, monster bug, even boss bug (gargoyle clipped through the tower and was stuck upstairs). Also, some questionnable aesthetic change, like "The Catacombs" is now "The waterfall of bones" or some shit. Why ?

The only good thing was:
He removed all ghosts from New Londo Ruins. Normallly I don't care for them, but it created a situation were I could check out this new area freshly as a new character without running. It was creepy, I was always on the edge, thinking a ghost might appear from somehwere else: or a worst monster ! In the end this was a self-inflicted cool moment, because it's mostly empty except for a few torch-hollows, and there isn't anything nice doing or any treasures except picking up the key for Knight Lautrec which is now in a prison at the beginning of the area where there used to be a Fire Keeper Soul, which was a nice touch.
But the charm fell pretty quickly.

I appreciate the effort, but as a mod, I'd give it a 3/10 (4/10 but -1 because of the overhype and marketing).

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I'm fucking around the Undead Settlement with sunbro invasions.

The last invasion was actually funny: I killed the host and the good sunbro bowed to me :)

Edit: I hate mages. They are absolutely shit on their own but they are deadly as support.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
So i rerolled 'cause i got bored of stomping over everything with my overlevelled character. I cleared the depths and the Asylum at level 26, but the gaping dragon stomped me a few times. I was a white phantom but it was funny to actually see a boss one shot me. I was 16 when i did Capra, actually died to that first charge with the dogs twice in a row. I'm liking this much better. The Asylum demon took forever too, my weapon was barely scratching him and i couldn't block shit so i had to do a very slow, methodical error free fight which i enjoyed a lot, even though once you figured out what he does he is not really hard at all, just long winded.

I think the reason i leveled so quickly the first time is that i wanted the medium roll on my knight armor and then i needed some of the other stats too so by the time i got to the Gargoyle i was 30+. This time i'm wearing a light armor and keeping my stamina on par with the other stats. I'll wear the knight armor once i can.

I'm also trying that Forest Hunter shit, it's pretty amusing so far. At this level all i'm getting is people trying to grind the forest guys for souls so half the time they are already half dead by the time i invade and often they die before i finish the summon animation, but sometimes i also get some crazy twink. Got into a duel with a guy that lasted almost 5m i think we were matched in everything, level gear etc. Two other hunters stood by watching since they noticed it was an even match. I lost by an hair but felt pretty good.

I think i'm going to clear the garden now, kill the hydra and Havel (didn't start with the master key for the "challenge") and see if the cat gives me the ok to kill the wolf and just hang around this level for some scrub pvp in the garden. Once i get bored i'll move to Blighttown.

BTW, can i use the cat summoning ring while leaving a summoning white sign on the ground? Will they go in conflict? I don't see any reason i shouldn't try to get in both at the same time, seems like a good way to cut down the waiting.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Bleh, i have a thing for starting as a scrub and making my way up. Even if i trash my gear for NG+ the build is basically over it just bothers me.

BTW, just went straight into the Catacombs as level 26, but had to level while i was inside in order not to lose souls, especially after i killed Pinwheel (more like Scrubwheel why is this boss so easy?). So i entered the Tomb of Giants as level 32, fought my way to the pit and saved M'Lady lul. The best part is that those faggot necromancers didn't drop the lantern i had to pick up the one in Tomb of Giants now that was fun. It's too bad i have to go get the Lord's Vessel otherwise i'd have given a go at killing Nito.

Let's see how far i can go as 32. All my souls will go to store bought items until i have no choice but to level. We'll see how that goes.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
The funny is that being so weak certainly makes me more prone to try to discover how an enemy works. The giant skellies were just too tough, one stomp from their foot and all my stamina and most of my health was gone so i couldn't fight them but apparently if you go behind them they start to stagger and fumble around so i figured i'd just charge into them and circle from underneath their legs. Worked well until i got to the one with two skellies those i just had to ran past them and somehow they didn't follow me all the way to Patches which was lucky.

Before going to DS2 i think i'm going to check to see how playable Demon Souls is on the PS3 emulator.

So what did your research yield? I used to avoid emulation due to how subpar even PS2 one was a few years ago, but now I think my RTX 2070 laptop will crush it.

I don't see myself finishing DS3, but I can definitely see getting through Demon's Souls and Snake Eater HD. Probably not in this order due to how Thief-tier MGSV gameplay was. Although the install guide made me cockeyed at step 3, I feel like a boomer.

Back to the topic at hand, I also forgot I have my PS Now still ongoing after playing Red Dead Redemption 1:

nbyz4n3xt5aziexhmezw.png

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I've seen some videos of people playing the game at steady 30 FPS no issue but i haven't looked whether the game is still bugged, glitchy etc, which it was last time i checked it out. As soon as i'm done with this Dark Souls re-run i'll look into it.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Jebus i was trying to do some coop in Anor Londo just because it's actually kinda fun and some guy dropped 99 sun medals. I guess i found a guy who really LOVES coop but what the heck am i going to do with all those medals now lmao.

I'm level 46 and got summoned three times in a row. Dumping the souls on titanite not sure what to do with them as i'm getting 25000 a summon and i wanted to keep it low lul. Guess i'll upgrade some of my other weapons just to have more toys to play around with. Better than grinding titanites from enemies.

I finished DoA twice, once as strength and then as magic didn't really care for the mod either way. It was nice to have a sort of fresher experience and I somewhat enjoyed a few of the boss fights like the Sif/Artorias/Manus combo despite how bullshit and tryhard it was. Project Scholar for das2 and Cinders for das3 are better mods.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Jebus i was trying to do some coop in Anor Londo just because it's actually kinda fun and some guy dropped 99 sun medals. I guess i found a guy who really LOVES coop but what the heck am i going to do with all those medals now lmao.

I'm level 46 and got summoned three times in a row. Dumping the souls on titanite not sure what to do with them as i'm getting 25000 a summon and i wanted to keep it low lul. Guess i'll upgrade some of my other weapons just to have more toys to play around with. Better than grinding titanites from enemies.
Get sunbro lvl 3, of course, and get the most prestigious piece of writing on your screen in the whole game. :obviously:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
What piece of writing?

My plan to keep a more modest level (leveling only when i'm clearing an area, so as not to lose souls) is futile, i just killed Artorias and i'm already level 72. Better than 91 as i was the last time i got there but still.

BTW, for some reason Artorias was way harder than i remember him, probably because i haven't maxed my damage stats yet so i just didn't do enough damage before he got powerful enough to eat all my stamina and most of my health with one hit. The only way i could beat him was by staggering him during his buff animation so he wouldn't get the power up, which felt cheap as fuck. Before that i got him under one fifth of his health left but he literally one shot me through my shield at max stamina and health with that lunging attack of his and since i was tired as shit i figured fuck it.

I then killed his lady since last time i gave her the soul but this time i'm trying to collect everything so the bitch had to go down. Still felt kinda bad.

I then got into the town, two seconds of reverting my hollow status later in order to kindle the bonfire and i get backstabbed in a second lul.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I think i found the single hardest boss in the game. Kalameet's tail. And i don't even plan of using the sword, is just the OCD of doing everything.

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
I think i found the single hardest boss in the game. Kalameet's tail. And i don't even plan of using the sword, is just the OCD of doing everything.
If you are doing this alone, it can be legit the hardest task. I never was able to do it. And I speak as someone that did DS1 with a "soul level 1" run.

Regarding your other post, unfortunately it's the same problem with every game that include expansion AFTER the fact. You end up overlevel either for the expansion or the main game. You are supposed to stagger him btw. If you don't he one shot you afterwards (unless you have Havel armor and like 60 vitality). Artorias is really my favorite boss of the series. Personally he felt exactly at the right difficulty, a cool set-up, etc. The village is a PVP hotspot so yeah, you'll get invaded a lot.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Yeah but staggering him makes him way too easy. It's basically a puzzle boss, once you figure out how to beat him the challenge is done.

After an hour of trying, i managed to do a run where i hit the fucker's tail five times, and then died. I'm doing about 93 dmg a hit, and google says the tail has 540 HP that means i was ONE HIT from getting it. For fuck's sake.

I'm in rage quit mode for now, i think i'll go kill Manu first and then come back for this asshole.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom