Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls II Megathread™

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Wow, i just read the game has finite enemies? So souls matter now?

Wunderbar

Arcane
So what's the penalty of dying if enemies don't re-spawn?
eventually you accumulate too much soul memory (which kicks you out of multiplayer meta, or pits you against high level pvp monsters).

Also dying reduces your max health until it's 50%, the only way to restore it back is to use a rare finite consumable.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Soul memory doesn't matter anymore since the game is pretty barren, and HP reduction can be circumvented by equipping a certain ring (which isn't even hidden).

Grimlorn

Arcane
Deprived should be the best one for min/maxing

Google says it's among the worse. Bandit however is among the best, and cleric if you want faith specifically.

I'm still not sure why some classes get more total stat points and what the logic was to be honest.
I just checked some of the classes. if you subtract the levels from their stat pools, they all have 54 at level 1. Including Knight and Cleric. Some will be better depending on which build you want to go because if you go pure physical you'd want lower stats in magic stats to save a few levels. Like Bandit has 1 intelligence and 2 in attunement making him better for physical builds.

Edit: Forgot Explorer is a pretty popular class though. Comes with the Travelling Merchant set. The hat raises item discovery a lot. Also comes with a lot of items including some healing stuff.

Last edited:
Also dying reduces your max health until it's 50%, the only way to restore it back is to use a rare finite consumable.

It's so "rare" that I never even come close to runing out of it even though I use it way before my max gets down to 50%. And I never use that Ring of Binding either.

Wow, i just read the game has finite enemies? So souls matter now?

You'd need to kill enemies so many times for them to despawn it's essentially a non issue. I never have it happen to me.

Last edited:
Soul memory doesn't matter anymore since the game is pretty barren

I'm getting lots of multiplayer action on my current run, it doesn't seem "barren" at all. Nor did I ever experience Soul Memory causing any problems to me. I understand the argument why it's supposed to be bad, but I'm always done with the character before I actually experience that.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I just checked some of the classes. if you subtract the levels from their stat pools, they all have 54 at level 1. Including Knight and Cleric.

Yes, in DS2, but in DS1 the cleric ends up having one point more than the knight and has a less "wasted" point in int. From an OCD, min/max point of view, the cleric is simply the better choice. It's a small difference sure but i was wondering why they made it like that to begin with.

In DS2, it seems it's all about "wasted" points which seems to make the bandit the best class for almost every build unless you plan to cast sorceries.

I was dicking around character creation and holy crap animu hairstyles lul. Also, what's with the knight armor it's not an armor it's a robe.

Google says it's among the worse. Bandit however is among the best, and cleric if you want faith specifically.

I'm confused now. You're talking about DS or DSII here? Because I'm talking DSII and I don't see how a class that starts at level 1 would be among the worse for min/maxing.
Even if you don't plan investing any stats in magic it's still recommended to have some pyromancies as a backup, just like in DS only upgrading pyro glove is a worthy investment so those 6 points in INT/FTH can't hurt too much.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

I'm confused now. You're talking about DS or DSII here? Because I'm talking DSII and I don't see how a class that starts at level 1 would be among the worse for min/maxing.

Because you start with six in every stat. If you don't plan on casting magics, that puts you behind the bandit who starts with 1 in int and 2 in att (i'm reading there's a ring that gives you att slots so i assume there's no point raising this stat for a melee class who wants to dip in some spells). And from what i'm reading, you can only respect to what your original class was so the deprived will always have "wasted" points regardless of what build you chose to make.

That, at least, seems to be the word. Now of course it's all relative for PvE but i guess for PvP it matters as even a tiny advantage is still an advantage but also because having more points makes you complete your build at a lower soul level, which also matters.

BTW, i'm now reading magic weapons are better in this game, which is the complete opposite of DS1. I wanted to try to avoid what i ended up with in DS1 with my split damage weapon that could barely scratch the DLC bosses but apparently in DS2 it is the other way around. It is the "infused" weapons that are the superior ones, which means i'm making an infused build because fuck what i had to do to kill Manus but especially Kalameet. No way i'm going through that again.

That, at least, seems to be the word. Now of course it's all relative for PvE but i guess for PvP it matters as even a tiny advantage is still an advantage but also because having more points makes you complete your build at a lower soul level, which also matters.

Not sure why soul level would matter for PvP in a game where matchmaking isn't based on it. Seems to me if you're keeping your level low you're only gimping yourself for no reason.

BTW, i'm now reading magic weapons are better in this game, which is the complete opposite of DS1. I wanted to try to avoid what i ended up with in DS1 with my split damage weapon that could barely scratch the DLC bosses but apparently in DS2 it is the other way around. It is the "infused" weapons that are the superior ones, which means i'm making an infused build because fuck what i had to do to kill Manus but especially Kalameet

Not sure about that, seems to me most mage builds are based on buffing the weapon and you cannot do that with infused weapons. Infused weapons sure rule in early game but I'd imagine they would fall behind later. I personally always pump STR to 40 alongside anything else I do, can't help myself, selection of STR weapons in DSII is just too awesome.

And like I said already, 6 INT/FTH can't hurt even on melee character as there's no reason not to use at least pyromancy as a backup even without additional investment in magic stats.

Not sure why soul level would matter for PvP in a game where matchmaking isn't based on it.

Ho is that how it is now? But how do invasions work then?

Soul Memory is what matchmaking is based on. So you shouldn't expect your first run to be perfectly optimised for it. Only after you git gud and are not losing souls anymore. I would suggest simply not worrying about it at all.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Mmmh, i gotta think about this. This means i can't co-op as much as i did in DS1 for even if i "dump" the extra souls on buying stuff from stores instead of leveling it still means my soul memory is higher, right? Which means i might as well dump everything in SL?

Just do whatever you want and stop sperging out about it, jeez.. I co-op all the time in DSII and I get loads of PvP action. Fuck I'm still getting summoned to Bellbro fights in Lost Bastille even though I'm way past that area by now. Just relax and enjoy the damn game.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Sorry, my autism demands satisfaction.

To wit, here's another thought, doesn't the deprived end up with an higher SM just because it starts at SL 1? Lul hurr durr

Jokes aside though, the reason i'm sperging out is that i'm taking a pause before starting the game. I just finished DS1 i need a break for now but in the meanwhile i'm having fun looking up strategies and builds, especially since i'm a filthy fashion souls kinda of guy so i build everything based on looks first and foremost lmao. I actually got pissed off i had to switch my Sanctus for the Grass shield to beat Kalameet.

One thing is for sure: no claymore for me. Two DS1 runs with that thing enough, i need to try something new now.

Black Angel

Arcane
Sorry, my autism demands satisfaction.

To wit, here's another thought, doesn't the deprived end up with an higher SM just because it starts at SL 1? Lul hurr durr

Jokes aside though, the reason i'm sperging out is that i'm taking a pause before starting the game. I just finished DS1 i need a break for now but in the meanwhile i'm having fun looking up strategies and builds, especially since i'm a filthy fashion souls kinda of guy so i build everything based on looks first and foremost lmao. I actually got pissed off i had to switch my Sanctus for the Grass shield to beat Kalameet.

One thing is for sure: no claymore for me. Two DS1 runs with that thing enough, i need to try something new now.
Here bro, I think ymfah uploaded this just for you

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Fine, fine, i made a toon.

And of course, i died in the fucking tutorial because From decided to change the way you jump for no reason. Amazing.

Last edited:

praetor

Arcane
don't try to optimize your first run. just don't. you will fail 100% because what you thought was cool in the end wasn't satisfying... or you'll fuck up your class choice for the uberminmaxing... or you'll screw up your farming. DS2 is different enough that what you thought was awesome in DS1 won't necessarily carry over in awesomeness... and it has plenty of stuff that was shit in DS1 that's at least decent now (like sorcery), and even more plentiful new shit (dual wielding, twinblades, hexes etc etc), and even gear that raises stats!

again, for the love of all that is (un)holy, just for you first run forget about minmaxing and strategizing, and make a character that won't give a shit about SL and SM so that you can have one character where you can try out aaaall the goddamned cool weapons and magics, so that you can minmax better for your 2nd (and 3rd and 4th until you're bored) character based on your own preferences and experiences, and not "he said she said" 'cause that just leads to disappointment...

i know it's hard to turn off the autist part of the brain for a while, but try...

oh nad Multidirectional , the bloodbro arena is SL based ;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom