Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls II Megathread™

Where?

I went to the key rebinding menu but only the keyboard and mouse is listed there. How do i change it on the controller?

Game Options->Jump Controls.
Also if you're using xinput controller you may wanna grab this.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Well, was doing well, didn't die once, and of course i died of a failed jump again, this time trying to get some loot across a tree branch, near where you get the fire sword. Died twice trying, guess that's that. This system is pretty aggravating, but then again i'll probably die a lot to the boss when i get to it, so i'll stay hollow till then.

You are probably talking about a piece of loot that you aren't even supposed to be able to reach yet. You get there by opening a door much later in the game.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
So some big guy dropped off a bird and i noped my ass out of there in a nano second but now he is gone, the hell did he go? Sheeit.

Two new things i'm finding rather annoying:

1) You can't drop ladders anymore as you'll take fall damage (really now?)
2) Explosive barrels, so no rolling allowed now.

Silverfish

Arbiter
You can still drop from ladders safely. Just hold the button down. Explosive barrels are safe so long as you don't hit them with a bomb or a fire weapon. For whatever reason, enemies can detonate them with almost anything though.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Explosive barrels are safe so long as you don't hit them with a bomb or a fire weapon. For whatever reason, enemies can detonate them with almost anything though.
it's inconsistent. That barrel near petrified Rosabeth can explode if you roll through it.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Explosive barrels are safe so long as you don't hit them with a bomb or a fire weapon. For whatever reason, enemies can detonate them with almost anything though.
it's inconsistent. That barrel near petrified Rosabeth can explode if you roll through it.

It did to me too. Are there others like that? Last thing i want to do is start tip toeing around barrels come on that's retarded.

Wunderbar

Arcane

It did to me too. Are there others like that? Last thing i want to do is start tip toeing around barrels come on that's retarded.
tbh i don't remember any other barrel that explodes if you roll through it. Others only explode if you hit it with a fire-infused weapon / fire bomb / fire arrow. There is one barrel in Lost Bastille that explodes if you push it off a ramp (explosion destroys a nearby wall, revealing a secret).

Speaking of walls and secrets, in DaS2 illusory walls open only if you press "use" key when nearby. Striking a wall won't open it.

Jigawatt

Arcane
DS1 the cleric ends up having one point more than the knight
Your problems is doing the maths by (sum of stat points) - soul level. Try: (sum of stats excluding resistance) - soul level, et voila, everyone is equal. Yes, at some point From realised resistance is in fact useless but redesigning the UI was probably too hard so instead of taking it out they just made it not count against SL during char creation ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And from what i'm reading
btw for someone who seemed very concerned about taking the challenge out of DS1 you seem to be trying your hardest to remove any difficulty at all from DS2

So some big guy dropped off a bird and i noped my ass out of there in a nano second but now he is gone, the hell did he go? Sheeit.

You only get one chance at killing him there and you get many more souls if you do compared to later. I like getting summoned there for that part especially, easy 20k souls.

Two new things i'm finding rather annoying:

1) You can't drop ladders anymore as you'll take fall damage (really now?)
2) Explosive barrels, so no rolling allowed now.

You mean you can jump down ladders at any height in DS1 without taking damage? I don't remember that. Or do you mean sliding down? Because that you can still do, but differently this time. You have to hold left stick down together with run/dodge button. You also can fast climb at the cost of stamina bar.
Interesting about explosive barrels, I never noticed them exploding from rolling, only when slashing at them with fire weapon. Or maybe I just forgot.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
btw for someone who seemed very concerned about taking the challenge out of DS1 you seem to be trying your hardest to remove any difficulty at all from DS2

I always like theory crafting, doesn't mean i'm going to intentionally break the game though, i just find the number crunching fun.

This time i'm going for a full faith build where i'm going to use blunt weapons only, in order to avoid falling into the claymore trap like in the original. I'm actually a "theme" kinda of person. Last DS1 run i rocket the paladin armor with sanctus. No mixing of armor pieces, no ninja rolling, just pure fashion. I only had to relent on Kalameet and ended up switching to the grass shield just because my damage was so low and it was starting to grate on my nerves, especially when i got one shot randomly by the weird hit box after 25 minutes of taking him to near death that pissed me off.

Ho, also, i was only asking that min/max question from a point of view of curiosity. I had no idea some classes had more points in DS1, i was just wondering why they did that.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
You only get one chance at killing him there and you get many more souls if you do compared to later. I like getting summoned there for that part especially, easy 20k souls.

But is he going to come back? All i did is step down the stairs because i didn't expect to meet a boss and wasn't ready surely the devs aren't that anal, are they?

You mean you can jump down ladders at any height in DS1 without taking damage? I don't remember that. Or do you mean sliding down? Because that you can still do, but differently this time.

Yeah i figured that out fucking From stop changing shit i hate things that are different. :argh:

In fact, my impression of this game so far is that it is very much a souls game but it has that feel of something made by another company. That's the vibe i'm getting. Even the visuals feel weird.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

But is he going to come back? All i did is step down the stairs because i didn't expect to meet a boss and wasn't ready surely the devs aren't that anal, are they?
Oh, boy. He is DEFINITELY going to come back.

Nope, if you climb up there and chicken out he won't return. You will fight him later. It's perfectly normal not to beat him there on first run. I would put down a summon sign near that ladder when exploring that area though, but hey maybe you wanna keep your Soul Memory low. I like to level up as fast as I can.

The change for sliding down ladder must be related to the fact that they also added fast climbing as you also hold down the button for that.

And by the way I figured out I was wrong on weapon buffs - you can use them on infused weapons if it's spells, not resins. My bad.

praetor

Arcane
In fact, my impression of this game so far is that it is very much a souls game but it has that feel of something made by another company. That's the vibe i'm getting. Even the visuals feel weird.

visuals feel weird for a number of reasons: the downgraded lighting engine (i.e. most areas were designed with completely different lighting in mind... they also had more clutter. and now they have an unholy amount of small textures tiling sometimes making it look like a 90ies game) and motion captured animations (iirc it's the only game in the series with motion capture), and probably something else i can't think of 'cause i'm hungry :D

RoksCQ

Novice
DS1 the cleric ends up having one point more than the knight
Your problems is doing the maths by (sum of stat points) - soul level. Try: (sum of stats excluding resistance) - soul level, et voila, everyone is equal. Yes, at some point From realised resistance is in fact useless but ...

The great irony of dark souls 2 is they abandon heavy armor mitigation and poise, but resists can and do a lot of heavy lifting. it's smart to have resist sets for tricky areas or fights. enjoy the last souls game with loot that's worth exploring for, the frustration of DS2 and it's gank squad trash setups at times are worth it when you get items with cool effects on them.

Jokzore

Arbiter
Dark Souls 2 had this gimmick where they would let you make certain fights easier, sometimes its by gathering items, sometimes changing the arena in your favor, sometimes you get to fight the boss early and chip away some of his health.

If a boss appears early you only have one shot at it, if you pussy out or die you just have to live with it.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
You'd have to a major tryhard to bother using that ring. I guess it will fit you well, LS.

It just shows how strange this system is.

On one hand, i'm enjoying the fact death means more in this game than it did in DS1, and i think SM has a bigger part of it than the lost health because you definitely don't want to run around with a lot of souls on you, not the least because they made damn sure you ARE going to die no matter what with hidden enemy placement and stuff like the chest with the trap in it that i just died to.

On the other hand, it just puts you in the position of not spending souls needlessly. For instance, i can't collect sets now. I bought the Elite Knight but i'm not liking it, a bit too heavy and it doesn't look as good as it did in DS1, and now i'm eyeing the Alva set but all i'm doing is increase my SM just to play dress up it's a bit unsettling.

Well, I never in any of my playthroughs gave a single fuck about SM and just spent souls on whatever I wanted and never noticed anything being ruined by it. Always doing lots of co-op and plenty of PvP. For example I'm going through Iron Keep now and I can barely take few steps without getting summoned for yet another Bell Keeper fight. I have 50+ Titanite Chunks thanks to this covenant, a lot more than both regular and large Titanite Shards combined. So I think the least you could do is not sperg out about it on your first run and just have fun. But hey, maybe I'm playing it wrong and there's entire world of awesomeness I'm missing that I would see if I would just start shitting my pants over every soul spent.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Well, the logic of the system is to keep people within range in terms of level and upgrades which on paper seems like it would help newbies from getting invaded by twinks but as it is it seems it is the new comers that are going to be penalized the most as they are the ones that will lose the most souls.

Anyway, there seems to be quite a lot more people playing than DS remastered. I feel like in a ghost town (those player ghosts made me jump quite a few times as well as they are literally everywhere) and there's blood spats everywhere. I also noticed there's summoning for regular monsters now? I try putting down the small white sign thingy and was expecting to be led to a boss but the guys were just killing mobs. I think i'm going to try to get summoned for the first boss as i want to see how it works.

Small sign is perfect for that first Pursuer encounter you ran away from. In case you haven't found regular sign - Pate gives it to you after you go through the area behind the gate he's sitting next to and come back to talk to him.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom