Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls II Megathread™

SerratedBiz

Arcane
While I also liked the analysis, the speculation and his conclusions, let's not forget that this wouldn't be the first time a game's trailer didn't match its actual gameplay.

Castanova

Prophet
Hurrah for dumbing down, if it means the mechanics in the game will be more transparent. ... Put that info in the game, please.

Yes, I agree. Who doesn't enjoy ubiquitous tutorial pop-ups? Who doesn't enjoy NPCs breaking character to explain game mechanics? These are some of my favorite features of modern RPGs and Dark Souls II better fucking have them.

Syril

Liturgist
Queued
Dark Souls 2 only with boss battles and very large areas like shadow of the collossus ?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I call bullshit, why the fuck a japanese company would use a american nobody as reference model? If anything, game designers are know to use actors or singers as "inspiration" for their design, almost cloning the guys, but without even contacting them. Why would you think that a random person would be contacted to be reference model by jap developers, and told in a comprehensive way what's her role?

bminorkey

I call bullshit, why the fuck a japanese company would use a american nobody as reference model? If anything, game designers are know to use actors or singers as "inspiration" for their design, almost cloning the guys, but without even contacting them. Why would you think that a random person would be contacted to be reference model by jap developers, and told in a comprehensive way what's her role?

r/IAmA is a subreddit where professionals / celebrities regularly hold Q&A sessions (The More You Know). Demon & Dark Souls use a lot of obscure oversea actors for voice acting and reference. She's the real deal, unfortunately. Whether they told her what kind of character she modeled for or she was just guessing though, we don't know.

I think it's probably the latter. She doesn't look like she's familiar with the franchise (or gaming in general) and pretty female characters are almost always love interests, so it's a reasonable assumption. What else, yeah we had a change of directors and everything and yeah, the new director wants DS to be more "accessible", but I don't think they're that out of tune.

I don't want to think of the implications. Having a love interest likely means your character will be set in stone (this is in-line with the "hero" stuff mentioned in an interview). Preset gender and personality (voice acting for MC???). Logic behind multiplayer and covenants gets thrown out the window. Shudder.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
It's this is actually real, it will probably be something closer to Mario than Mass Effect... I must venture forth into peril for the sake of m'lady, that will only appear in cutscenes at the start of the game and at the end, in a grim finale, so no big deal.

Zlaja

Arcane
Popamole ahead
Need accessability
Try romance
Be wary of purchase
Amazing cutscenes
Praise Todd Howard

I'm out.

If this is all true then it's one of the fastest :decline: in history. Like the equivalent of going straight from Ultima V to Ultima IX just a year later.

Art_Fail_Suicide_Emoticon_by_Your_Fantasy.gif

deuxhero

Arcane
Demon & Dark Souls use a lot of obscure oversea actors for voice acting and reference.

Pretty sure they use the same person for both the character's model and their voice though
300sh2q.jpg

Does Reddit have any verification measures that subreddit?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Somebody told me to post this. He says to consider it a Christmas present.

------------

Edge Magazine has a blow out on Dark Souls 2 this month, and the details are out. Brace yourselves for the horror and anticipation of a brand new journey.

- Edge says they were shown a 10 minute playthrough of Dark Souls 2, and it is a huge step forward graphically. It looks on par with Watch Dogs and Star Wars 1313 in terms of "next-gen"-ness, or so they claim.

- Miyazaki is not working on the development of Dark Souls 2. He is not a director or producer, and is merely a "supervisor".

- Even as a supervisor, he isn't making any development decisions. He only tried to reinforce the team's commitment to releasing things on time, because of the bad experience they had with the patches in Dark Souls, and he also recommended the return to server-based gameplay ala Demon's Souls.

- The new directors, Tomohiro Shibuya and Yui Tanimura, are indeed the From Software staff who previously directed the Another Century's Episode series. The decision to have the two directors replace Miyazaki was a company decision made by both From Software and Namco Bandai Games to help move the series forward in a fresh direction.

- Miyazaki is working full time on directing a new game. He will not disclose if it is a new IP or a sequel to something else.

- Darks Souls 2 will be a direct sequel, and have an open world of about the same size, but more dense with content.

- It does not take place on Lordran. The name of the world is the key of the story, they will reveal it at a later date.

- One thing Shibuya wants to enhance is the action in the game. He feels that he can contribute because of his experience working on action games in the past.

- Shibuya says he wants to make things like the Covenant system clearer and more accessible, and he wants to make the story and messaging less subtle.

- He promises there will still be "hidden" elements in the story and world which can be missed.

- The game is 25% complete, and the team is substantially larger than Dark Souls. The world creation internal staff for the sequel is nearly double that of the first game.

- The game might not make it for 2013.

- They showed a fat grotesque creature, which Shibuya said was the result of the fusing of different creatures by a mad scientist character in the game, like Frankenstein.

- Another new enemy is a Nazgul-like black rider, who apparently serves as an executioner of evil doers. Shibuya confirms there is some sort of morality system in the game.

"(I): Is there any plans on a sequel? If it is what would be a good title for a sequel?
(P): Hold your horses. I don't know about a sequel but it seems like we can make a new one.
We still need to look at reviews and player feedback including overseas, whats
going on and is there a market for it. I really don't know about a sequel and even
if there is I don't know if I have a chance to work on it cause that's a seperate
issue so I can't talk about it carelessly. Dark Souls is not "mine" and I think it
might need some new "blood" (influence). If there is a sequel it going to be a
brand and it will need its brand power which might need some new "blood". With all
these issues I have no idea. I want to make something
(I): I want it to continue, with Mr. Miyazaki
(P): I want that too but . . . ."

"I'm not one to restrict the potential that Dark Souls has by insisting that only I can work on the titles. I want new expressions. It's true that I'm sad about not being involved in the development of Dark Souls II, because I've worked on Demon's Souls and Dark Souls' development for the past five years. I really love those two titles; however, maybe this is the time to have new inspiration, so I'm fine about that. I'm looking forward to playing Dark Souls II not as part of the development team, but with a little bit of distance."

"It was a company decision," clarifies Namco Bandai producer Takeshi Miyazoe. "Miyazaki worked on Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, but for the IP to evolve and provide a new experience within the Dark Souls world the new wind from directors Shibuya and Tanimura is key to providing players with [a] brand new Dark Souls experience. In order to maintain the expectations and satisfaction and the rewards that players experience, this was the right time to bring in the new characteristics and taste[s of the directors] for this series to continue on evolving."

:smug: :smug: :smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom