Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline The definitive list of proper and true MMOs.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
personally i have high hopes for life is feudal

Norfleet

This is so wrong on multiple levels. An MMO is first and foremost defined by player-freedom. It has to support both a large number per server and a large number per area to truly qualify as MMO. See Eve Online nullsec average battle sizes in its prime for reference.
This is not necessarily true. While there has to be a large number of players per server, there doesn't necessarily have to be a large number of players per area if game systems actively prevent such an occurrence from ever happening. Take oldschool MUDs, which could easily fill the criteria: Despite the fact that there could be 300 or more on at a time, a huge number for the day, you'd NEVER get more than about 15 people in a single room, because if you tried, the room would catch fire and everyone would burn to death, thieves would show up to loot their corpses, and they, too, would burn to death upon the room acquiring too many people. It was simply an accepted fact of life that you were never gonna get more than about 10 people in a room before the odds of the room bursting into flames became too large and a fire started.

A similar mechanic could thus be employed in any MMO: Too many people in an area? Area catches fire, everyone dies. Hell, this happens on Eve. You get too many people in an area, a fire will start. But space is big, so areas are very big and thus it takes a great number of people to achieve critical mass. In a game where an area isn't quite as large as an entire sector of space, critical density will be achieved much more easily.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
rating_lulz.gif
what
I'm serious

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
what
I'm serious
Lol.

Chronologically, what happened:
When they first released Life is Feudal, they claimed the idea was to test the mechanics and the engine before going the MMO route. However, in a surprising turn of event, their game becomes popular and they make more money than they ever hoped to make even with an MMO and more than they can manage. Do they spend this money to quickly fix their broken game, or to concentrate effort on the MMO code, or anything like that? No, not really. Before going forward with the chronology of events, I just want to say that there is a certain amount of money that a man can reach, when he stops thinking about work. He's achieved his goals and dreams, he focuses on life's pleasures and hobbies, not on work.

Then what happens next, out of the blue comes not an MMO, but a strategy game. Which looks like someone else made the game and said "hey guys let's stick the Life is Feudal logo on it and split up the money". Or they just lost interest in the MMO entirely by that point and made it themselves?
Then they "release" Life is Feudal from EA with all their broken stuff, which is an obvious move to make money from the audience that stays away from EA games, before abandoning the project entirely. The game is "released", it's feature complete. They guys gather the last money they can from this project and are making off.

Years later after initial promises, still no news of the MMO.

Then your post happens. Lol.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
what
I'm serious
Lol.

Chronologically, what happened:
When they first released Life is Feudal, they claimed the idea was to test the mechanics and the engine before going the MMO route. However, in a surprising turn of event, their game becomes popular and they make more money than they ever hoped to make even with an MMO and more than they can manage. Do they spend this money to quickly fix their broken game, or to concentrate effort on the MMO code, or anything like that? No, not really. Before going forward with the chronology of events, I just want to say that there is a certain amount of money that a man can reach, when he stops thinking about work. He's achieved his goals and dreams, he focuses on life's pleasures and hobbies, not on work.

Then what happens next, out of the blue comes not an MMO, but a strategy game. Which looks like someone else made the game and said "hey guys let's stick the Life is Feudal logo on it and split up the money". Or they just lost interest in the MMO entirely by that point and made it themselves?
Then they "release" Life is Feudal from EA with all their broken stuff, which is an obvious move to make money from the audience that stays away from EA games, before abandoning the project entirely. The game is "released", it's feature complete. They guys gather the last money they can from this project and are making off.

Years later after initial promises, still no news of the MMO.

Then your post happens. Lol.

oh
to be honest i hadn't check on that game in quite a while, had no idea that was what happened
well
shit

i guess it serves me well for thinking russians could achieve anything

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
No Tibia in OP, shit thread.

Exiva ""Darth Roxor

incidentally, i just got the following email

Dear Tibian,

We'd like to invite you to continue your Tibia adventure with 7 days of
free Premium Time and an XP boost if you log in to the game before Sep 04,
10:00 CEST, 2018.

And it's a great time to return to Tibia!

Besides new challenging questlines, hunting grounds and powerful gear for
high levels, the recent summer update added an improved map including a
discovery feature for explorers, and the Supply Stash, a new efficient
storage container.

On August 08, new Retro Open PvP worlds have been launched: Pyra (EU),
Carnera (NA), and Nossobra (SA) are waiting for brave warriors to enter the
fray.

love to see you again!

A click on the link below leads you to the official Tibia website where you
can install the latest Tibia client.

and the funniest thing is the links actually look legit

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom