Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

The Denuvo DRM Thread - back in action

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Infinitron, Jan 8, 2016.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    https://torrentfreak.com/no-more-pirate-games-in-two-years-group-warns-160106/

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
    • Brofist Brofist x 8
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. racofer Thread Incliner

racofer
    Parrots:
    • Brofist Brofist x 69
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Gondolin Arcane

Gondolin
    Parrots:
    Pretty much. I don't intend to play any of that shit.

But sooner of later...

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. taxalot I request a spice shipment immediately. Patron

taxalot
    Parrots:
    Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    I guess I can just pirate any game that don't use Denovos and buy those shitty AAAs when they go -80%.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  5. DeepOcean Arcane

DeepOcean
    Parrots:
    As if AAA publishers are making games worth pirating anyway.

• Brofist Brofist x 28
    ^ Top  
  6. Astral Rag Arcane

Astral Rag
    Parrots:
    seems legit
    Show Spoiler
    Not really, 3DM are renowned for their trolling. Also a lot of denuvo-infected games have already been cracked.

^ Top  
  7. Cassidy Arcane

Cassidy
    Parrots:
    People who get raped in the ass by :d1p: shit games with a DRM as shitty and intrusive as Denuvo and people who get their time wasted by not removing such pieces of shit from an inventory deserve each other.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  8. MotherMachinae Arcane

MotherMachinae
    Parrots:
    Isn't 3dm some random chink, who use emulators to workaround Denovo?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Immortal Arcane

Immortal
    Parrots:
    This is a lame article that doesn't even begin to explain the why.
    At the end of the day the assets have to be unpacked at some point to be put into RAM and companies will always have a losing battle when they hand the binary to you.

Assuming 3DM is being serious (which I doubt) the problem is more about motivation. The best crackers I have ever met are the guys who work full time cracking VAC / Anti-CC to sell undetectable aimbots. These guys have no issue writing code that dips into Ring 0 through Drivers or running at the network layer packet shaping client data - all to avoid a checksum positive by AC.

Valves priority to this point has been to increasingly force hackers into Kernal level RE because it's expensive. His goal is to hurt their profits through longer dev times, because the cat and mouse game is an unwinnable one. (Gabe gave an interview on this strategy but I can't find it at the moment)

I have no doubt these guys could crack a game in minutes but there's no money in it. They are making over a 200K+ salary selling cheat packages to 12 year olds for Counter Strike / Rust / Whatever Else. Why stop so that neckbeard swedes can get their latest vidya for free?

IMO I think 3DM is wising up to the fact that they are getting the short end in the cracking community and I foresee a ching-chang-phoenix patreon in the future.
    "Help us continue keeping software open and free... "

EDIT: Found it

https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/1y70ej/valve_vac_and_trust

This is the reality of DRM vs Cracking. Read those Vidya Game Articles with a grain of salt.

• Brofist Brofist x 21
    ^ Top  
  10. Don Peste Arcane

Don Peste
    Parrots:
    • Brofist Brofist x 14
    ^ Top  
  11. DeepOcean Arcane

DeepOcean
    Parrots:
    If a salesman come to my house and tells me that they are making really tough locks, unbreakable locks for toilets, I would ask what is the point to protect shit?

He says that people are hungry for shit and can't control themselves, so shit needs to be protected.

Couldn't they just don't eat shit?

The salesman tells me that I'm an old man and I don't understand the new world. He opens his coat and show alot of shining shit. "This one is Call of SHit 15: Modern shitting, you can throw shit at your friends on multiplayer over and over and over again", he picks another one, "this other one is Tomb Shit 2: Linear Masturbation simulator, you will hear Lara pant alot, have a boner while you shoot misogeny zombies behind chest high walls", he picks another one "BattleTurd: EA rapes Star Wars and your wallet, you throw shit at your friends but with lasers."

"Shit is the new gold, I tell you!"

I just say m'okay and close the door, I'm happy to be poor then.

• Brofist Brofist x 45
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Torment: Tides of Numenera
    Wait till Fallout 5 uses Denuvo and all you shitheads that played FO4 want to torrent it but can't!

The Codex butthurt will be glorious.

You can't really do much with an article written off one guy's throwaaway comment, but DRM has definitely become significantly more complicated the last few years, alongside encouraging people to go legit with easy digital sales, Steam, etc.

• Brofist Brofist x 15
    ^ Top  
  13. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Immortal Are the cheating packages uncrackable?

^ Top  
  14. Excidium II Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Parrots:
    Those games are worth buying because they have steam achievements and cards

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Farage Prophet Patron

Farage
    Parrots:
    I honestly think that avoiding piracy is a backwards business strategy.
    Games are supposed to be sold out of its content, not for the privilege to be able to play it. e.g:

I also did something similar with the original Binding of Isaac - i downloaded it on piratebay just to turn it off and buy the original a week later.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  16. yes plz Arcane

yes plz
    Parrots:
    3DM are shit crackers who usually seem more concerned about being first than making a good crack.

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  
  17. Immortal Arcane

Immortal
    Parrots:
    Absolutely not. There is a hilarious "arms race" going on between payed cheats and hackers who believe all hacking should be open. (although slowly the payed side is winning out)

The even more common situation is

Hackers will crack each others software and steal protection schemes and methods they used to subvert VAC / Warden / Anti-CC/ PB.
    It's usually easier / cheaper to buy someone else's software, crack and steal their work.

There is zero honour among thieves. :lol:

EDIT: There is a final category.. the best one is drama. Hackers are notoriously egotistical and often "Private Source" will be released when someone in a group is pissed off about something.

This not only makes the protections completely unsafe now because the method is now in the wild, it also kills a paid hack because now it's freely available for free for anyone with a CPP compiler.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  18. Unkillable Cat Prestigious Gentleman LEST WE FORGET Patron

Unkillable Cat
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    The aforementioned "arms race" has been around since the dawn of man.

One day, someone comes up with a lock. The next day, someone else comes up with a method to pick it.

As long as the lock is made by Man, it can be picked open by Man.

This is not gonna change anytime soon.

• Brofist Brofist x 18
    ^ Top  
  19. PlanHex Arcane Patron

PlanHex
    Parrots:
    Somehow I can't help but read the above as some kind of paid advertising or viral marketing.

WOW
    DEVELOPERS LOOK HERE
    UNCRACKABLE DENONIVNAFIVO SOFTWARE
    BUY IT PLEASE

• Brofist Brofist x 24
    ^ Top  
  20. commie The Last Marxist Patron

commie
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
    I stopped bothering to pirate when I discovered everything sooner or later ends up in a dollar bundle. I will buy the games I really want to play at a normal price or as normal as I can afford to support the devs then in the meantime the other shit will be discounted and end up in a bundle and then I'll bother to pick it up.

It's now a pain to crack shit then look for the updated cracks all the time since games are so buggy there's a patch twice a week. Eventually the pirates stop cracking before the devs stop patching, so you end up with a half arsed copy anyway.

• Brofist Brofist x 8
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Night Goat The Immovable Autism Patron No Fun Allowed

Night Goat
    Parrots:
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014
    Sounds like something a profound chink would say

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 13
    ^ Top  
  22. pippin Guest

pippin
    DA:I is only available through Origin though.
    I dunno men, DRM these days is only meant to protect a game for the first week after reelease, which concentrates most of the full-price sales that ge game's ever going to see. If the thing actually works, then devs struck some kind of gold I guess. I dunno, I stopped pirating a long time ago... Only downloaded torrents for the No On Lives Forever games.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Excidium II Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Parrots:
    The best anti-piracy measure is still grindan + multiplayer

• Brofist Brofist x 18
    ^ Top  
  24. Unkillable Cat Prestigious Gentleman LEST WE FORGET Patron

Unkillable Cat
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Yes, though in truth I have no idea if there's a source to this. The real fun comes in comparing those words to the head of the cracking group in the OP.

Ancient Wise Chink: Sagely words of wisdom regarding the nature of Man.
    Modern Cracker Chink: Oh fuck this, we're all doomed.

Decline of Chinese philosophy?

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  25. Immortal Arcane

Immortal
    Parrots:
    You need to subtract the cost of that DRM which in this case is the highest in the industry.. Companies need to justify that 1 week of -possible- lost sales is worth the price tag (millions) of that DRM software.
    Now more than ever companies need to really look at how many sales they are losing to pirates.. (that would otherwise be a full price purchase in the first week)

FYI - I will not purchase anything with that DRM running now that I see what it does to your SSD..

If CDPR is anything to go by with their success on Witcher 2 / 3.. I think we can safely say DRM of that price range isn't nearly worth it.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)