Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Denuvo DRM Thread

mondblut

Arcane
Starforce was "uncrackable" too, and where is it now?

Buried face down under a ton of concrete and forgotten in shame, except for occasionally rearing its ugly head to prevent some unfortunate game of old from being run at anything newer than windows 3.1. Achievement unlocked!

Kem0sabe

Arcane
One company that has managed to frustrate pirates for great profit has been Sega with the football manager series, the 2016 edition still hasn't been successfully cracked without triggering all kinds of in-game shenanigans that fucks up the player teams.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Starforce was "uncrackable" too, and where is it now?

Buried face down and forgotten in shame, and occasionally rearing its ugly head to prevent some unfortunate game of old from being run at anything newer than windows 3.1. Achievement unlocked!

My favorite was SecurRom..
I was actually paid money by them to help their tech support figure out why their rootkit DRM was crashing my Windows Vista System every time I ran a video game that used securom.

(This ended in them sending me like 20 games with different versions of Securom running to see which ones crashed and which ones didn't.. I still have the email chain. It's a fucking joke)

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Most AAA games sink to $10 or less a year after release. It's a non-issue.

mondblut

Arcane
I was actually paid money by them to help their tech support figure out why their rootkit DRM was crashing my Windows Vista System every time I ran a video game that used securom.

(This ended in them sending me like 20 games with different versions of Securom running to see which ones crashed and which ones didn't.. I still have the email chain. It's a fucking joke)

I hope you used the opportunity to confuse the fuck out of them :lol:

anyway, weren't securom games all routinely pirated? it was infamous as a posterboy for "only legitimate users suffer from DRM". starforce, otoh, was a genuinely tough nut to crack, but everyone with a sliver of concern for their customers (i.e. every publisher outside vatnikostan) avoided it like a plague.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I still have the email chain

Can you post it, or is that classified?

I am under no *~*~Agreement~*~*.. I just don't wanna share my personal information.
Maybe I could provide it with redacted information.

I hope you used the opportunity to confuse the fuck out of them :lol:

Not really.. at the time it was preventing me from playing the fucking games I wanted to play..
I was rude and pissed off that their bullshit drm was preventing me from playing my video games. at the time I wanted it resolved as fast as possible.

EDIT:
One of the games they sent / bought me was Dragon Age 2..:|
This was going on around the time that game first released.

Last edited:

pippin

That's alright, the process is more important to me, and I assume it's the same for many Codexers out there. I guess I'd like to know why gaming companies insist so much with this DRM thing.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

That's alright, the process is more important to me, and I assume it's the same for many Codexers out there. I guess I'd like to know why gaming companies insist so much with this DRM thing.

Let me give those emails a read through, they have my real address, full name, email, etc..
If it's not too much work to remove that information I might copy and paste the chain into here / PM you,

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
IIRC, there was a game back in 2005 (something like Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six, but don't quote me on that) which had crackers stumped for a year.

I wish I could remember what protection it was using, but suffice to say it paid off in gold (for the publisher) on that occasion.

Drakron

Arcane
DA:I is only available through Origin though.

Yes and it was still cracked, same with other games that require decryption be it Origin or Steam or whatever.

I dunno men, DRM these days is only meant to protect a game for the first week after reelease, which concentrates most of the full-price sales that ge game's ever going to see. If the thing actually works, then devs struck some kind of gold I guess. I dunno, I stopped pirating a long time ago... Only downloaded torrents for the No On Lives Forever games.

Well kinda, DRM can make pirated games annoying to play in the sense digital distribution is also used to patch the games meaning you are basically stuck with someone releasing the patch.
3DM was never a good group were their rise to fame was cracking Denuvo (never mind that in same cases you actually had to expose yourself by connecting to the company servers for files decryption) and I suspect that the whole "Denuvo cannot be cracked" is because ... they are being payed to say that so they sell Denuvo.

mondblut

Arcane
IIRC, there was a game back in 2005 (something like Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six, but don't quote me on that) which had crackers stumped for a year.

I wish I could remember what protection it was using, but suffice to say it paid off in gold (for the publisher) on that occasion.

It was starforce (on some splinter cell crap, lasted for 18 months), so I don't think it paid off. Most people would rather avoid a game than let it trash their system with that junk.

Executr

Cipher
Some of those games were already cracked, Mad Max being one although it suffers from a few CTDs, as I've seen.
There was also the Football Manager 2015 debacle, where the devs/publisher paid the hacking group to not release the crack. Eventually one surfaced, albeit at the end of the season.

typical user

Arbiter

I think there was your problem or their problem but hard to believe they've sent you free games to fix their software. Shouldn't they have you know full-time testers?

Anyway, what's the point of DRMs? You want to earn money release fucking good game and even better include stuff like "thank you" card like CDPR does so you feel the itch to support your game.

As a general rule I pirate all Activision/EA/Ubisoft games. I even consider pirating Rockstar games because they act like cunts these days.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Lords of the Fallen still hasn't been cracked, and it's over a year old. Of course, part of the reason is because no one cares.

Absinthe

Arcane
Judging by that list of games, it appears that the best defense against piracy is indeed to create shitty games with overbearing anti-piracy measures. Since most pirates won't give two shits about your game and thus won't go through the effort of cracking it, you will discover only shit taste pirates with equally shitty pirating skills trying out your DRM and crying about it. Truly, there is no better defense against clever pirates than to make a game only stupid people would want.

Mortmal

Arcane
Might be good news, we may see less mainstream projects if they dont have to cater to a larger audience to compensate piracy. Even if one torrented copy does not mean one lost sale , i am sure there's a large amount lost and many people who could afford.Stuff like AOD underrail is widely available on torrents too.

Sizzle

Arcane
Lords of the Fallen still hasn't been cracked, and it's over a year old. Of course, part of the reason is because no one cares.

Went to some of the more popular pirate sites (such as kat.cr) to test that out. Nope, cracked several months ago.

Harpsichord

Arcane
Wouldn't it be in line with the hacking/cracking ethos to bypass a security measure and then publicly announce that you don't think you can bypass that security measure so that the OPFOR will continue to use that security measure?

I mean this is basic shit, Sun Tzu and all that mess.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
It was starforce (on some splinter cell crap, lasted for 18 months), so I don't think it paid off. Most people would rather avoid a game than let it trash their system with that junk.

At last you confess your ignorance (though many of us were on to you before this point).

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory (thanks for digging up the title) was released in 2005 and, I quote, "sold 2.5 million copies within the first month", the rest of the game's lifespan isn't counted. That's about 600.000 copies more than the next game in the series that actually bothered to quote sales figures (based on release dates) and is an astronomical number for a AAA title released in 2005, when retail copies in stores were still the bread and butter of copies sold.

And you DARE to claim "I don't think it paid off"? Based on what cannot be anything else than your personal opinion? Do you work at UbiSoft? Do you have the numbers in front of you?

No, you're just another dumbfuck on the RPG Codex trying to puff himself up. And failing.

praetor

Arcane

Went to some of the more popular pirate sites (such as kat.cr) to test that out. Nope, cracked several months ago.

can confirm. i played the cracked version up until the 4th or 5th boss (lost interest. game is incredibly boring)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom