Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Denuvo DRM Thread

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
In single player no, but I guess I won't be able to save games if I don't have an internet connection. I think the save to cloud is mandatory.

abija

Prophet
Btw I'm not an expert but I think always online has always been the most effective DRM. Devs stopped using not because it was useless but because the backlash was absolutely devastating, not just from gamers but from mainstream journos too. Now Rockstar had the balls to revive it and they utterly got away with it. I haven't seen a single article lambasting them.
Backlash my ass, it's just expensive on their end.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Btw I'm not an expert but I think always online has always been the most effective DRM. Devs stopped using not because it was useless but because the backlash was absolutely devastating, not just from gamers but from mainstream journos too. Now Rockstar had the balls to revive it and they utterly got away with it. I haven't seen a single article lambasting them.
Backlash my ass, it's just expensive on their end.
Rockstar already runs servers for their MP, adding a tiny extra branch doesn't make difference for them. And even for pure SP games renting a bit of cloud from Amazon can't be that expensive. Denuvo isn't free either.

Nah, the backlash especially for Diablo 3 and nuSimcity was overwhelming. True, mainstream journos hated it not really on principle but because it was broken all the time and the games didn't work but still...

Btw I always thought devs will bring always-online back as soon as they can make it reliable and stable. And sure enough.

abija

Prophet
You can't just "rent a bit of cloud" and do checks like ACreed tried. You need actual infrastructure and keep enough logic away from clients to make it hard to reproduce.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
You can't just "rent a bit of cloud" and do checks like ACreed tried. You need actual infrastructure and keep enough logic away from clients to make it hard to reproduce.
And you're saying that as a hard fact or you're just pulling it out of your ass, relying on nobody bothering to check your BS? You know, like people usually do in internet debates?

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
And when you hide logic from customers, then you needed to pay for CPU time of cloud computers.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I find the idea that you need to be online to save highly suspect, but I'm too lazy to clear 150GB on my SSD to check myself.

abija

Prophet
And you're saying that as a hard fact or you're just pulling it out of your ass, relying on nobody bothering to check your BS? You know, like people usually do in internet debates?
You can go ahead and prove me wrong. Then even make some millions undercutting denuvo.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I see he's still benchmarking the performance side of it incorrectly...
Good on him for finally including 1% and 0.1% lows though, but I have no idea how those two managed to be lower than the minimum...
The difference is supposed to be that the 1%/0.1% lows accommodate slight hic-ups from shader compilation stutter and loading, which an absolute minimum won't account for...

EDIT: Detroit Become Human is a perfect example of how he's doing it wrong.
Barely finds a difference in framerates as you can see the overlay in the background simultaneously show a massive difference in CPU usage...

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
There are comparisons out there of the same exact game, Batman Arkham Knight, using Denuvo on Steam and nothing on Epic Store. Every one of those comparisons found the CPU was slightly impacted but when it came to actual framerates there was pretty much zero difference. Modern PCs have a massive CPU surplus for current games.

Note this will change when the new consoles release.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
In general Denuvo implementation is also dependent on how "full retard" the implementation is with the number of triggers/checks iirc.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
FPS reduction has always been a myth, the real problem with Denuvo is loading times, those can be p. absurd.

And yeah, everything depends on the implementation.

Perkel

Arcane
FPS reduction has always been a myth, the real problem with Denuvo is loading times, those can be p. absurd.

lol. People still believe it has nothing to do with framerate despite the fact that every second one show difference in average frames from 5% to 20-30% and almost every game 1% lows are much much much lower than normal games ?

Pray is good example of that. FPS, 1% low and load times are all considerably worse.

karoliner

Arcane
Vatnik
Based CPY did it again. God bless Italy.

3KSUz3w.png

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
FPS reduction was a thing with Witcher 2.

I forgot Witcher 2 was DRM'd in some random countries because of the local publisher, despite being DRM free everywhere else. So fucking retarded. wHAt iS tHE inTErneT?
And when they patched it with GoG executable to prevent hiccups and to double framerate. Theirs publisher complained about that removal. Something about doing stuff against agreement.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom