Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware The Devil's Men, Daedalic adventure game set in a steampunk Victorian England - officially dead

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
But... Memoria had proper closure?
Chains of Satinav had a bittersweet ending that served as nice closure. Memoria opened that up and gave Geron and Nuri a happy ending. Their story is as done as can be, and they ought to henceforth be left alone. But while Sadja's and the Staff's Memoria plot also got a fine ending, throwing someone more than four hundred years into the future is excellent set-up for a sequel, not closure.
Sure you can write a sequel, you can write a sequel to anything. Doesn't mean you should or that the older work did not have proper closure. To be absolutely blunt, Sadja's story is done. You could write something about here fish out of the water life in the present and you could even reference past events and they could influence the new story but it would indeed be a new story.

tl;dr don't be Dan Simmons

jfrisby

Cipher
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...e-game-news-thread.57865/page-50#post-5503757

A.-T .: What about The Devil's Men? Since nothing has been heard for so long and the strategic direction changes, it must be assumed that it will be canceled?

Tim: I initially described the starting situation. What does that mean for a title like The Devil's Men? Before the long explanation comes: The title is currently no longer working and it is not foreseeable that we continue to pursue the project. How does such a decision come about? Kevin, after working very hard on The Devil's Men, joined the The Pillars of Earth team. There was simply a high demand on all levels, the project was very extensive and as a first common game with Bastei-Lübbe it simply had a certain priority. After completing the work on The Pillars of the Earth, there were internal conversations about how The Devil's Men continues.

Nearly two years had passed and The Devil's Men continued to be the next potential Daedalic hit in our community as well as in the community. As far as the quality of the game and the work done up to that point is concerned, nobody would say anything else until today. The fact that people still have the game in their heads today and ask for it says it all. But we are now in a situation where we have to look at the figures behind such a title much more than before. The great artwork, the fascinating story or the captivating dialogues are no longer a guarantee for commercial success. And only against this background, we decided in the end to continue to work on the game. That sounds hard and that's tough, especially for the entire team that did a fantastic job there. But on Steam, for example, over 7,000 games appear today a year, and you just have to realize that the way the market works now forces a company like Daedalic to do that.

rating_negativeman.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Boleskine

Arcane
The end was nigh when Bastei Lübbe took a majority stake in Daedalic four years ago.

I really can't fault their reasoning, however. Steam is an endless sea of trash and many good games get lost in the mix, especially those from a less popular genre like point-and-click adventures.

How much work was done on the The Devil's Men? It sounds like Daedalic set it aside 2-3 years ago. We all suspected it was dead but I'm surprised it took this long to confirm.

Tom Selleck

Arcane
The great artwork, the fascinating story or the captivating dialogues are no longer a guarantee for commercial success.

gotta get that (((intellectual property brand licensing)))

Cromwell

Arcane
Whats with all the adness and wheres all the hatred? They can all go and suck a cock. The market the market blablabla like all their fans suddenly dropped dead or even worse developed a taste for telltale games.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
it's hard for me to feel hatred when their stupid policy is already being negatively verified by the so-called market, so if they wanna go "lalala see no evil" and focus even more on that disastrous course of action, there will very soon be no Daedalic at all, and good riddance to that - they've made some great (indeed, superb) games in the past, but now they are shitting all over their own legacy and their fanbase, all the while putting a noose on their collective neck

this is roughly how I feel:

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I really can't fault their reasoning, however.
I can.

I mean, I agree with you entirely about Steam and endless seas of trash. As I see it you have 2 ways of having your game make it: make something incredibly hipster and "artsy" and hope for the best, or make some actual quality and hope for the best. One way or the other your game has to stand out, and that's mostly down to luck.

Or you could abandon the niche you've carved for over a decade and that has been feeding you quite nicely and instead make a not-adventure game based on a very popular novel and try to muscle your way into someone else's (bigger) niche. There's no way that can fail right?

Oh.

Never mind that Telltale's not-adventures have been failing to meet targets, so it's not as if we already knew that market was dying because the initial hype started by TWD is now as dead as last year's snow.

So yeah, I have no sympathy for them, they dug this grave and it was pretty obvious even to people like us who aren't even in the industry that the TWD fad was dying. I'd understand it if they were in Troika's position where they couldn't sell and couldn't secure anything, but they weren't. I've said it before, this wasn't about making money, this was about making MORE money. Sometimes you've got to take risks, and sometimes you've got to see when you have it good and should stick to your niche.

As far hatred, the only thing that I hate is that they killed Devil's Men, but that's been obvious for a couple of years now.

R@tmaster

Educated
According to Steamspy:
Pillars of Earth: 20,724 copies in 6 months
Deponia Doomsday 207,504 copies in 2 years

I don't understand this decision.

Boleskine

Arcane
Those numbers may not be reliable for direct comparison because Deponia Doomsday has been bundled twice (Humble Monthly, Indie Gala).

Sad, but in no way surprising; that press release says it all, and belies the fact that, if modern Daedalic had somehow managed to produce it, TDM would have been BSB anyways.

“Despite the fact that we have complete faith in our design, art, and narrative departments (with a desperate and rabid fanbase, to boot!), we no longer have faith in the market. It is simply too volatile for us to continue supporting the project. Instead we will continue to focus on our more ‘in-demand’ titles, such as Pillars of the Earth, Blackguards 2, and Deponia 4.”

RIP Tru-Daedalic. Sorry you had to die in such ignominy.

Edit: That aside, publishing The Long Journey Home was a bro-move, so credit where it’s due.

jfrisby

Cipher
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I bought a copy of the art book for this a couple weeks ago on ebay. Just got a call from the post office that the truck it was on went up in flames.

:negative:

bddevil

Educated
Or you could abandon the niche you've carved for over a decade and that has been feeding you quite nicely and instead make a not-adventure game based on a very popular novel and try to muscle your way into someone else's (bigger) niche. There's no way that can fail right?
well said

its not even that much about their failure to sell in the bigger niche, it's basically them saying 'fuck you' to their core fanbase.

contrary to what people think, deponia series has a lot of fans (me included). and a lot of people liked memoria or the first whispered world. moving away from what works, requires some bridge for the original fanbase. otherwise, it's just a sellout move.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
satinav duology are great :(

even their smaller games like night of the rabbit and anna's quest are decent at the very least. fuck daedalic. go burn in flames

Boleskine

Arcane
https://www.change.org/p/daedalic-entertainment-revive-the-devil-s-men

Daedalic Entertainment, Revive The Devil's Men!
tHEyuJsXKXIryqu-800x450-noPad.jpg

The Devil’s Men is/was a 2D Point and Click adventure game announced in 2014 by Daedalic Entertainment. It was quietly canceled in the spring of 2018, after years of development.

It's unclear how much of the game was completed at the time, but there was an art book published, numerous images released, a public campaign to allow fans to add their story to game, and numerous press articles and features.

It seems the game was canceled because Daedalic did not see the traditional 2D Point & Click genre as profitable enough - lets encourage them to reconsider!

Additional Images

Articles
Not All Men: Daedalic’s Steampunk Adventure

The Devil's Men is Daedalic's occult Victorian England multi-solution adventure game
Daedalic bringing life to The Devil’s Men

:negative:

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I feel like there has to be some apropos parable or fable about, say, a stork who shaved down his beak to be like the other birds, only to starve as a consequence. Within its niche, Daedalic did very well, I thought.

jfrisby

Cipher
Patron
The lead designer, Kevin Mentz, left Daedalic.. so not much chance. They beta tested the first chapter (in German), so I guess that might leak one day.

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Wow, this game looks nice. Didn't even know about it until today and it's already dead. Good job making me pointlessly sad Codex.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
This looks very promising, but even better would've been a RPG in a Victorian setting.
Well, at least the Wapanese made one.

I'm glad I played London Seirei Tanteidan.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom