Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

The Digital Antiquarian on Master of Orion

Discussion in 'Strategy and Simulation' started by Boleskine, Jan 24, 2020.

1. Boleskine Arcane

Boleskine
    https://www.filfre.net/2020/01/master-of-orion/

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Comte Arcane

Comte
    Master of Orion 1 is still one of the best 4x games out there.

• Agree x 5
    • Brofist x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Alpan Magister Patron

Alpan
    Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Glad he dove deep into the randomization of the tech tree. That is the most intelligent thing Master of Orion does. It may actually be the single most elegant idea I've ever seen in a game.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Master of Orion as the edgy reactionary take on Civilization. And it's so good that he doesn't care.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    It's the main thing that makes it so much more unpredictable and thus more replayable than the Civ games and SMAC (the other being the assymetric races).

• Yes Yes x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Endemic Arcane

Endemic
    The Schwarzschild series is interesting in that it contains most of MOO's gameplay elements but started 5 years earlier in 1988.

SMAC has random techs though, and feels less like playing a spreadsheet overlaid on a galaxy map :P Don't get me wrong, Master of Orion is enjoyable, but hardly the only great 4X game.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Jeff Graw StarChart Interactive Developer

Jeff Graw
    Thanks, enjoyed this!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Morblot Cipher Patron

Morblot
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Same here. Got me reading his blog again after a long pause. It's really good.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. almondblight Arcane

almondblight
    Pax Imperia (the 1992 game, though it's 1997 sequel is more well known) always sounds interesting to me whenever I've come across it. For instance, from the link:

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. fastjack Augur

fastjack
    Pax Imperia was my first 4x so I have pretty fond memories of it, but it's been so long that the bullet points above are reminding me of things I'd totally forgotten. I mostly remembering sending fleets across space that were hopelessly outdated when they arrived, and years of disappointment with wormhole based space movement in other space 4x games (space empires series for instance).

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. almondblight Arcane

almondblight
    Yeah, I've read that Pax Imperia was one of the few space 4x where you could send you're fleets anywhere in space (instead of just jumping system to system). So you could do things like load up a spaceship with sensor equipment and then park it in empty space near an enemy system to spy on them.

^ Top  
  12. taxalot Gone forever. Patron

taxalot
    Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    I had never played MOO before that article. I installed it because I had it on GoG.

It felt terrible.

I don't know, if it's the interface, the incredible clunkiness or something. Is the remake or sequel better ? I know nothing about that series.

• decline decline x 2
    • Button Button x 1
    • Bro, do you even lift? Bro, do you even lift? x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Morblot Cipher Patron

Morblot
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    MOO2 has a friendlier UI (right click on anything to get help), larger screen resolution and a good soundtrack. It is very much worth trying out. It's one of the first games I ever bought and also still one of my all-time favorites. Get the 1.5 patch from moo2mod.com, it fixes some bugs that still remain at least in the GOG version.

MOO3 is abhorrent, the 2016 remake I don't know or care about.

^ Top  
  14. Nutria Savant

Nutria
    It never ceases to amaze me how annoying this guy is even when I agree with his main points. He thinks Civilization's mechanics are bad because he found some degenerate strategy that works on low difficulty levels. But apparently MOO is some perfect flawless gem that can't be broken just by playing it enough. Somehow he's never figured out that you just need to survive long enough to build huge ships with repulsor beams and automated repair.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)