Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dragon Age: Inquisition Thread

Garryydde

Arcane
Patron
Douchebag! Repressed Homosexual
Well it's like spending a holiday with a dumb, shallow blonde that looks like this. Up to you if it's worth your time.
dragon-age-inquisition-sera-best-1.jpg
Fixed.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
In DAI there's the collapse of the Chantry debacle, but its ramifications are so disjointed, the Inquisition starts to feel like an order of glorified janitors, cleaning up everyone's shit after themselves. To make the player feel powerful and important, every other faction is turned into a bunch of mewling morons. Surviving Cardinals of the Chantry do nothing but squabble among themselves and call for the blood of the only person capable of sealing the tear in the hymen. The leader of rebel mages sells herself and her followers into servitude to a Tevinter magister... what? Leader of loyalist mages parties day and night at a random chateau having nothing to do other than joining the Inquisition. Templars become completely unhinged and start casually punching Chantry clerics in the middle of a crowded street... lol. I haven't gotten to the part where you have to save the empress of Orlais, but I'm sure she'll be suitably moronic and helpless.

Cleaning up after a bunch of morons: the game. Exciting.

Isn't that merely a classical case of Bioware design where no one has any agency or self-initiative unless you the player initiate it in some way? Rest of the world is perfectly content to dick around waiting on INKVISITOR's cue. Orlesian crisis is honestly one of the better parts of the game in that you actually get to make what appears to be an important decisions, but it's handled with typical Bioware butterfingers when it comes to subtlety.

Bioware should not try to do anything political. Ever.

Seeker
In My Safe Space
The templar who punched the priestess is not an actual templar. You'll understand when you progress further.

Lhynn

Arcane
Well it's like spending a holiday with a dumb, shallow but extremelly pretty and sexy blonde. Up to you if it's worth your time.
Bullshit that would be DA:O, with DA:I its like spending your afternoon with her extremely retarded and obese cousin.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Bullshit that would be DA:O, with DA:I its like spending your afternoon with her extremely retarded and obese cousin.

Nah I'd be the first to shit all over this turd but denying it's one of the prettiest games ever made would be crossing the line in the tryhard edgy territory.

Glaurung

Liberal's alt
Shitposter
cvv forgot to mention that the blonde is a log in bed and has severe personality disorders.

Also, it's not even that pretty. Leaves look like they are made from carton. Earth textures are blurry and ugly. Spell effects are pixelized even at maximum settings.

Isn't that merely a classical case of Bioware design where no one has any agency or self-initiative unless you the player initiate it in some way? Rest of the world is perfectly content to dick around waiting on INKVISITOR's cue. Orlesian crisis is honestly one of the better parts of the game in that you actually get to make what appears to be an important decisions, but it's handled with typical Bioware butterfingers when it comes to subtlety.

Bioware should not try to do anything political. Ever.
Yes, it is. DAI is a cross between the worst aspects of next-next-next-gen consoletard AAA game structure combined with classical Biowarian shit writing intended for sub-80 IQ troglodytes. The gameplay is exceedingly limited, restrictive, and predictable, and the story/characters are fit for Carebears: Return to Care-a-lot.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
cvv forgot to mention that the blonde is a log in bed and has severe personality disorders.
True.

Also, it's not even that pretty.
I don't have the slightest need to play the advocate for the game here but in this I will disagree. On Ultra settings the game is absolutely gorgeous - in the Disney-like overcontrasted, oversaturated way but still. Obviously I'm talking solely about the landscapes and architecture here, not about the UI, character models, animations etc. which are sometimes shockingly bad for an AAA game.

Yup, cvv is pretty delusional if he thinks those things are comparable.

NO U DELSUINALl!1!!

MiX

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Bioware has completely thrown away any illusion that the main character isn't a superhero that cannot lose or do wrong. Even in Baldur's Gate and KOTOR there was the impression that the PC wasn't an infallible do-gooder because of Bhaalspawn/Revan. Now its Space Jesus and the Inquisitor where the world literally revolves around them. Every other character or faction exists simply to serve the main character. Most RPG stories are lame power fantasies but at least they tried to hide it and make it nuanced and interesting. Bioware can't even be bothered to do that. Narratives are boring if the world revolves around the main character and not the opposite. Otherwise it just becomes a ridiculous messiah storyline that makes the standard "save the world" cliche look realistic.

Glaurung

Liberal's alt
Shitposter
Bioware has completely thrown away any illusion that the main character isn't a superhero that cannot lose or do wrong. Even in Baldur's Gate and KOTOR there was the impression that the PC wasn't an infallible do-gooder because of Bhaalspawn/Revan. Now its Space Jesus and the Inquisitor where the world literally revolves around them. Every other character or faction exists simply to serve the main character. Most RPG stories are lame power fantasies but at least they tried to hide it and make it nuanced and interesting. Bioware can't even be bothered to do that. Narratives are boring if the world revolves around the main character and not the opposite. Otherwise it just becomes a ridiculous messiah storyline that makes the standard "save the world" cliche look realistic.
I don't know when's the last time you've read the Bible, but even Jesus' enemies were not in awe of him like the Inquisitor's enemies are. The more powerful/wise/impressive/important the "messiah" character is, the more his enemies should strive to deny, ignore, pervert, insult and destroy his image, because any admission of the savior's validity is a direct blow to their existence.

Bioware has exactly two ways of treating your main character: non-entity delivery boy or super-awesome living legend. This has been the case since BG1, but at least the main villains were sometimes allowed to make jibes at the protagonist's expense: Irenicus was coldly dismissive of pretty much anyone except himself, Malak called you a pale shadow of your awesome former self... which is kind of a back-handed compliment if you think about it.

Come DA2 and both the Artichoke and Meredith are both utterly in awe of how much of a worthy opponent you are, and the Inquisitor is pretty much hailed as the Herald of Andraste by the whole world despite any reason besides a glowing female figure seen somewhere near you at the start of the game. Even Alexius and Corypheus seem to be in awe of how you happened to survive an explosion. The game is desperately afraid of triggering its target audience of fat insecure virgin dorks with gender issues, as a result every single villain in the game comes off as bland, obligatory, and pointless. This fucking game has accomplished the impossible: I'm actually missing the times when we got cackling mustache-twirling villains who kicked puppies and stole candy from babies for teh evulz. Skeletor evil is better than bland evil.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
Personally, I fucking gave up after couple of hours with this combat and started using cheats. Fuck this AI. Fuck this bloated HP. I don't want to waste minutes on trash mobs, it's insane. I'm still not ready to fight against dragons. Need to get me some good gear and levels.
It's interesting because I used to not really mind cheating if it helped me get through some tedious grinding but at some point I realized that there are usually far more engaging stories told in books, tv series, manga etc. That was when cheating died for me completely, if I don't get to have some fun with the bulk content of a game i.e. combat or decision making or planning or resource management then the whole experience just falls apart. You sort of realize that you are sitting there staring at screen not engaged at all and when it's over you strongly wish you had done something else.

Slow James

Savant
Apparently the game is already on sale for $40, just six weeks out? I refuse to install Origin, but I am seeing notices that this is the case.

I hate to suck Skyrim's dick, but that was still going for full sticker price over a year after release. Gah - Bioware cannot make a good game to save their life any longer.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
2013 promo video. I can't stop grinning after seing the result

damn that vid looks like its from a better game (playing it without sound, so i have no idea whats being said)

much slower battles it seems, with better gfx (no seizure inducing bright colored sfx shitstorm)

Same here. From that I expected an exploration romp with more action oriented combat. Instead we got an mmo disguised as a crpg.

kris

Arcane
2013 promo video. I can't stop grinning after seing the result

I wonder if this is the one I was thinking about when I remember seeing some video long before release that featured some interesting C&C. Something that was later cut from the game. DAI mostly just have choices, there are only two instances of consequences that I seen and one of them is in the intro sequence.

I managed to finish the game yesterday (finally), it was really hard to pick it up again when the alternative was no longer cleaning my apartment.

Oh and despite all the playhours and talk in this forum about the sex-scenes I never saw anything. Hell, the only skin I saw was on Morrigans strange clothing (You grown up girl, maybe you should try somethng new?). right, and Iron Bulls chest.

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
Sera just babbles random nonsense.

"The veil, she's salty here."

What.
(the Storm Coast? Is it salty? What?)

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
Sera just babbles random nonsense.

"The veil, she's salty here."

What.
(the Storm Coast? Is it salty? What?)

Sera was a certainty in my party setup. Somehow the random nonsense was welcome in all the dreariness. And when you have dorian in your party too these two gays keep making thinly veiled sexjokes. Some were actually funny.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Sera was a certainty in my party setup. Somehow the random nonsense was welcome in all the dreariness. And when you have dorian in your party too these two gays keep making thinly veiled sexjokes. Some were actually funny.

Yeah there are bits and pieces of legitimately great writing in DIA. I guess it's inevitable in a ginormous dev house like Bioware packed with authors and artists. Some of them are bound to have talent. Even under the leadership of such an autistic hateful retard as Gaider.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Checked BSN, or bioware forums, or whatever they are called now. Bathed in schadenfreude. Majority of posts have a following structure:
"Don't misunderstand, I [loved\enjoyed, other statement of affection] DA:I, but..."+"complains about all the shit"+"But still I think Bioware made a [praising] work with DA:I"
With variations on faggot and SJW preaching about GOTY and BEST GAEM EVUR!!

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Checked BSN, or bioware forums, or whatever they are called now. Bathed in schadenfreude. Majority of posts have a following structure:
"Don't misunderstand, I [loved\enjoyed, other statement of affection] DA:I, but..."+"complains about all the shit"+"But still I think Bioware made a [praising] work with DA:I"
With variations on faggot and SJW preaching about GOTY and BEST GAEM EVUR!!

"Don't misunderstand, I like this game, but..."

No, you really don't like it. What you're experiencing is cognitive dissonance. You're also tone censoring because you're a coward and are afraid of the other fans attacking you.

Cowardice, cowardice everywhere.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Interesting thing is that such attitude now is a common thing on BSN. that was impossible six months ago - there wase a neverending hype-train and most severe criticism was "it won't be UBERMEGAHYPERAWESUM, just great".

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Once you have acquired the taste of a shit sandwich, you will be coming back for more.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom