Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dragon Age: Inquisition Thread

Frozen

Arcane
DA2' Story is amazing compared to this shit. Trepasser's ending is quite good tho.
DA2 base plot is even better than Origins', most other narrative aspects not though

What's the plot of DA2?

What's Hawkes motivation?

Why the fuck that city, and then why to leave at the end and hide somewhere like a little bitch and not take over?

Story is worst part of that derp, you play as insignificant incompetent idiot with no influence on the world on small or large scale.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
What's the plot of DA2?

Your a refugee trying to survive and get a better life and after becoming the city's champion , trying to protect and maintain the city safe while being in the middle of a possible civil war between the mages and templars. Way more interesting than '' You're the *insert chosen one tittle here* and you need to get allies and form a army to the defeat a greater evil'' plot of DAO or DA:I.

Literaly trying survive and get a better life in that shithole for him/her self and his/her family/friends and later trying to prevent a civil war of happen to project the city. Idk sounds like a very simple and clear motivation.

Why the fuck that city, and then why to leave at the end and hide somewhere like a little bitch and not take over?

Because the writers didn't had the balls. You can become Viscount if you side with the templars but Bioware just like what they did with the Warden (''Warden is looking for a cure instead of figthing Darkspawn that's close to godhood!'') and Leliana (if she died in DAO) , retcon this shit and created a bullshit excuse to make Hawke apper in DA:I , something about Hawke being betrayed by the templars and exiled because reasons like every bullshit retcon because they're too lazy to create actual consequences.. Btw Orsino wasn't suppose to be a boss in the mage route , but they create a bullshit excuse to make due EA wanting to have 2 bosses in both endings.

Falksi

Arcane
DA:O's combat, on Nightmare, is - quite frankly - fucking great for a RtWP game. Some of the strategic laouts of the battles, Deep Roads especially, are very well thought out and miles ahead of the likes of DA:2.

I think to appriciate DA:O's combat you have to be a fan (or at least tolerant) of the system, and notice it's finer points. The only downer for me is that the Warrior is boring as fuck, lacking the tactical scope to do much interesting with. In Awakening they added a few AOE attacks and that made a difference.

In DA:O there's a real foundation of something spectacularly good. It just needed it's sequels to embrace it's CRPG roots, instead of shitting all over them.

DA: O's combat is let down by terrible balancing. Mages totally dominate the other two classes. Warriors are additionally shafted by the joke Two-Handed tree. Archer Rogues gimp themselves due to mechanics bugs and need a specific party member to be effective.

Don't forget duel weild Rogue though, I fucking loved that class, sneaking into the right positions and delivering dem blows.

Rogue Archer was fine. I solo'd that on nightmare, Scattershot allowing for some great tactics, usually drawing a group in, hitting them with that, then bombarding them with flasks & suchlike.

Mages definitely take prize spot, but Warrior was the only one which I couldn't bring myself to finish the game with. The others are fun enough.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Mages totally dominate the other two classes.
This is a case of gameplay being in sync with plot. Mages get locked up in towers in Dragon Age because of how powerful they are, of-fucking-course they dominate the other classes.

Frozen

Arcane
What's the plot of DA2?

Your a refugee trying to survive and get a better life and after becoming the city's champion , trying to protect and maintain the city safe while being in the middle of a possible civil war between the mages and templars. Way more interesting than '' You're the *insert chosen one tittle here* and you need to get allies and form a army to the defeat a greater evil'' plot of DAO or DA:I.

Literaly trying survive and get a better life in that shithole for him/her self and his/her family/friends and later trying to prevent a civil war of happen to project the city. Idk sounds like a very simple and clear motivation.

Because the writers didn't had the balls. You can become Viscount if you side with the templars but Bioware just like what they did with the Warden (''Warden is looking for a cure instead of figthing Darkspawn that's close to godhood!'') and Leliana (if she died in DAO) , retcon this shit and created a bullshit excuse to make Hawke apper in DA:I , something about Hawke being betrayed by the templars and exiled because reasons like every bullshit retcon because they're too lazy to create actual consequences.. Btw Orsino wasn't suppose to be a boss in the mage route , but they create a bullshit excuse to make due EA wanting to have 2 bosses in both endings.

You are not a refugee. Since day 1 you kick ass and kill gazzilion space ninjas. Hawke character is paper cut, he has no real motivation and if its "family" by the end you fail miserably.

Main story is completely broken and pointless. It starts with deep roads then that ends with no real closing, then its the Qunari rebellion that ends the same, and then the last third its completely new thing about mages vs templars.

There is literally no player agency. You cant influence on this shitty broken story at all. Everything you do builds to nothing, things play out without your influence on them- it doesn't have to be a big influence on end world state, but literally everything you do sums up to nothing. So, what was the point? If you could role play Hawke as power hungry for power sake it could work, but you cant.

"You are the chosen one" is boring and done to death but at least they know how to do it, this is just bad writing all over.

Neanderthal

Arcane
You are not a refugee. Since day 1 you kick ass and kill gazzilion space ninjas.

The story clearly doesn't translate into the gameplay.. But still in the story , you're , in all intentions and purposes , a refugee.

A refugee who never has to struggle in any way whatsoever, no hunger, no thirst, no poverty, no cold, utterly irrelevant and pointless. A game should reinforce narrative through gameplay, not just tell the player with no consequence whatsoever.

Codex Year of the Donut
You are not a refugee. Since day 1 you kick ass and kill gazzilion space ninjas.

The story clearly doesn't translate into the gameplay.. But still in the story , you're , in all intentions and purposes , a refugee.

A refugee who never has to struggle in any way whatsoever, no hunger, no thirst, no poverty, no cold, utterly irrelevant and pointless. A game should reinforce narrative through gameplay, not just tell the player with no consequence whatsoever.
is the new version of german migrant simulator out already?

Nano

Arcane
Patron
What the fuck do you expect? Dragon Age is a storyfag game, BioWare isn't going to add survival game elements.

Neanderthal

Arcane
What the fuck do you expect? Dragon Age is a storyfag game, BioWare isn't going to add survival game elements.

I expect a better narrative arc reinforced by gameplay, if you can't manage a refugee experience for your supposed refugee then change the narrative to something you can manage. Simple.

In Serpent Isle quarter century back I had to protect avatar and lads from cold when they went north into arctic conditions, gameplay reinforcing narrative in a storyfag game.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
I expect a better narrative arc reinforced by gameplay, if you can't manage a refugee experience for your supposed refugee then change the narrative to something you can manage. Simple.

In Serpent Isle quarter century back I had to protect avatar and lads from cold when they went north into arctic conditions, gameplay reinforcing narrative in a storyfag game.
What part of "Dragon Age is a storyfag game" wasn't clear?

Neanderthal

Arcane

What part of "Dragon Age is a storyfag game" wasn't clear?

I expect better storyfaggotry.

Tommy Wiseau

Arcane
Terrible game -- Dragon Age 2. Half the game is spent delivering garbage and selling junk, environments are copy-pasted and your choices barely have any effect on the story. It is almost a JRPG.

MpuMngwana

Arbiter
Terrible game -- Dragon Age 2. Half the game is spent delivering garbage and selling junk, environments are copy-pasted and your choices barely have any effect on the story. It is almost a JRPG.

Please refrain from insulting jRPGs thank you.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
its simple logic

da2 = shit that was shittily made

dai = shit that was polished until it shone its brown filttered colors

therefore da2 is even shittier than dai

DA2 is one of the worst RtwP games out there, but at least it's a genre I enjoy and the story/visuals are interesting.

DA:I is a shit offline MMO that looks pretty and everything else about it sucks.

I'll take heavily flawed gameplay in a genre I enjoy of total garbage that looks nice.

Neither is good.

Yosharian

Arcane
DA:O's combat, on Nightmare, is - quite frankly - fucking great for a RtWP game. Some of the strategic laouts of the battles, Deep Roads especially, are very well thought out and miles ahead of the likes of DA:2.

I think to appriciate DA:O's combat you have to be a fan (or at least tolerant) of the system, and notice it's finer points. The only downer for me is that the Warrior is boring as fuck, lacking the tactical scope to do much interesting with. In Awakening they added a few AOE attacks and that made a difference.

In DA:O there's a real foundation of something spectacularly good. It just needed it's sequels to embrace it's CRPG roots, instead of shitting all over them.

DA: O's combat is let down by terrible balancing. Mages totally dominate the other two classes. Warriors are additionally shafted by the joke Two-Handed tree. Archer Rogues gimp themselves due to mechanics bugs and need a specific party member to be effective.
You're not 100% wrong, casters are incredibly powerful in DA:O, however it's perfectly possible to beat the game without casters. I've beaten DA:O on Nightmare difficulty without a single caster, and it really wasn't that difficult. Once you get a feel for how the combat system ticks, you don't need casters so much.

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
My biggest gripes with the story in later DA games is how incomplete it is. Everything ends on cliffhangers, major conflicts never get proper resolution, characters disappear without a trace and important secrets endlessly dragged from one installation to the next. All of this is huge turn away even to my limited stotyfag sensibilities.

It is like TV shows that jumped a shark and got cancelled sooner or later, but a game studio that did the same and... spent years making shitty looter-shoter like a good slaves they are. In the end, all original creators left the ship and all this promise goes into a trash bin.

I am long past Bioware and their prolonged agony, but seeing Obsidian going the same way is sad and disturbing.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
In the end, all original creators left the ship and all this promise goes into a trash bin.

I am long past Bioware and their prolonged agony, but seeing Obsidian going the same way is sad and disturbing.
This is false. See what I wrote in the Obsidian thread:

Mass Effect 1 writers still at BioWare: Lukas Kristjanson, Mac Walters, Patrick Weekes. That's 3/5 of the writers on the team.
Dragon Age Origins writers still at BioWare: Sheryl Chee, Mary Kirby (and Lukas Kristjanson again). 3/8 writers.

Alpha Protocol writers still at Obsidian: N/A. 0/5 writers.
Fallout New Vegas writers still at Obsidian: N/A. 0/6 writers (including those listed under "additional writing").

Also, Patrick Weekes has since joined the Dragon Age team and was the lead writer on DAI's Trespasser DLC, the most story-heavy part of the series so far.

Prime Junta

Nu-BioWare only does one (writing) thing competently: companions. Everything else is just stuff to do in-between the bonding. (Or -age, depending.)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom