Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dragon Age: Inquisition Thread

What's the plot of DA2?

Your a refugee trying to survive and get a better life and after becoming the city's champion , trying to protect and maintain the city safe while being in the middle of a possible civil war between the mages and templars. Way more interesting than '' You're the *insert chosen one tittle here* and you need to get allies and form a army to the defeat a greater evil'' plot of DAO or DA:I.

What's Hawkes motivation?

Literaly trying survive and get a better life in that shithole for him/her self and his/her family/friends and later trying to prevent a civil war of happen to project the city. Idk sounds like a very simple and clear motivation.

Why the fuck that city, and then why to leave at the end and hide somewhere like a little bitch and not take over?

Because the writers didn't had the balls. You can become Viscount if you side with the templars but Bioware just like what they did with the Warden (''Warden is looking for a cure instead of figthing Darkspawn that's close to godhood!'') and Leliana (if she died in DAO) , retcon this shit and created a bullshit excuse to make Hawke apper in DA:I , something about Hawke being betrayed by the templars and exiled because reasons like every bullshit retcon because they're too lazy to create actual consequences.. Btw Orsino wasn't suppose to be a boss in the mage route , but they create a bullshit excuse to make due EA wanting to have 2 bosses in both endings.

You are not a refugee. Since day 1 you kick ass and kill gazzilion space ninjas. Hawke character is paper cut, he has no real motivation and if its "family" by the end you fail miserably.

Main story is completely broken and pointless. It starts with deep roads then that ends with no real closing, then its the Qunari rebellion that ends the same, and then the last third its completely new thing about mages vs templars.

There is literally no player agency. You cant influence on this shitty broken story at all. Everything you do builds to nothing, things play out without your influence on them- it doesn't have to be a big influence on end world state, but literally everything you do sums up to nothing. So, what was the point? If you could role play Hawke as power hungry for power sake it could work, but you cant.

"You are the chosen one" is boring and done to death but at least they know how to do it, this is just bad writing all over.
You probably have plot, story and writing all mixed up

My biggest gripes with the story in later DA games is how incomplete it is. Everything ends on cliffhangers, major conflicts never get proper resolution, characters disappear without a trace and important secrets endlessly dragged from one installation to the next. All of this is huge turn away even to my limited stotyfag sensibilities.
That's what happens when a "title" turns into a "series".

God when will it end?

I'm running the final mission now, and it's going on for fucking EVER. It's incredible that they felt the need to force even more of the shit which you've already done for 100-odd hours down your throat again.
Not so fun fact:
the scenes of the villain's arrival at the end, are pre-rendered
Yay Fussshite!

Falksi

Arcane
So i finished it. Fuckinghell. Bag of wank.

I mean, what happened? What actually happened? Big things open in sky, bad guy wants to enter it, some Wardens get involved in a totally unbelievable way, I saved a Queen who had fuck all to do with any of it really.

And the ending, I mean, WTF?
Where the fuck does the Dread Wolf & Morigan/Flemeth/Solas bullshit come from all of a sudden? It's shoe-horned in awfully

Thank God that's over. Never again.

Codex Year of the Donut

I mean, what happened? What actually happened? Big things open in sky, bad guy wants to enter it, some Wardens get involved in a totally unbelievable way, I saved a Queen who had fuck all to do with any of it really.

Where the fuck does the Dread Wolf & Morigan/Flemeth/Solas bullshit come from all of a sudden? It's shoe-horned in awfully

It's not the real ending.
Go play Trespasser, if you got this far you owe it to yourself tbh

Falksi

Arcane

It's not the real ending.
Go play Trespasser, if you got this far you owe it to yourself tbh

I'm too worn out from it now unfortunately chap. I'll might watch the Tresspasser cut-scenes on Youtube in a week or two tho.

Frozen

Arcane
Basically, end game comes because main bad guy is as bored as you, the player, with that shit.
It could have happened after tutorial lolz

DayofBlow

Educated
:deathclaw:Something other than "unlikely hero saves the world"
You are literally an 'unlikely' hero saving Kirkwall. Twice, by the end. A lowly [blank depending on which of the 2 groups you worked for offscreen], that becomes the Champion after vanquishing the Qunari uprising. Your asshole is instantly tongued by every significant character you meet. The rich dwarven merchant wants you for his expedition, because there's something special about you. He's been keeping an eye on you y'know. You catch the eye of the Arishok, there's sth different about you, and doesn't tell you to fuck off completely unlike everyone else. You hobnob with everyone of note.

It's the exact same shit as Origins, except that one properly contextualises you as a member of an elite group, not a single special flower like the Champignon of Kirkwall, and with being a member of that group comes opportunities and danger due to your circumstances in the story. In 2 you bumble from 1 shitshow into another and win because you're awesome button Hawke and everyone wants to fuck you you're so cool.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Replaying this for the first time. Not really far enough in yet to comment much on gameplay, but holy shit does this game look amazing at ultra settings with MSAA instead of FXAA blur. The human animations and hair and stuff is a little meh, but everything else is stunning.

Anyway... playing a mage this time which seems better suited for the "hold down mouse button and occasionally hit 1-9" MMO combat bullshit.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
Replaying this for the first time

'k

Not really far enough in yet to comment much on gameplay

You've already played through this once and are now replaying it, surely the gameplay isn't that complex.

but holy shit does this game look amazing at ultra settings with MSAA

Yeah it looks gorgeous. Imagine having such talented artists make the world, and then leave the story in the hands of a bonafide hack like Gaider.

sullynathan

Arcane
Use the no animation for looting mod and no time for war table missions mod. The game is tedious but I used them in my only playthrough and I didn't feel it was a tedious as people usually say it is.

Also, the game just looks really good.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
You've already played through this once and are now replaying it, surely the gameplay isn't that complex.

I more mean "seeing if anything has changed my perspective." I often find that if I replay games later, with different expectations and in a different mood, I am more or less into what they're doing.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
I more mean "seeing if anything has changed my perspective." I often find that if I replay games later, with different expectations and in a different mood, I am more or less into what they're doing.
It's good, ignore all the nonsensical collectibles & shit side quests. Main story really comes together once you reach the DLCs. The lore gets interesting, the aspect of faith etc..

Mod recommendations:
Conversations Camera zoom.
Enchanced Camera. or Trailer Cam / Alpha camera. I prefer the latter.

Remove armor class restrictions if you want to play fashion.
Also, put the game on the hardest difficulty. Otherwise it's too easy.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
Hardest difficulty is way too tedious. Health bloat is ridiculous and makes fights last longer than usual, so it's better to just put it back on normal.
Not if you are playing a mage! There were only few battles per map where I had to micro-manage & use the tactical camera etc.. The damage output of your party gets quite high if you min-max.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If you build your party right, difficulty won't even matter and you can solo dragons. All you need to figure out is how to maintain shieds so they stay up for as long as possible.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Hardest difficulty is way too tedious. Health bloat is ridiculous and makes fights last longer than usual, so it's better to just put it back on normal.

I'm playing on "hard" and so far health bloat and such aren't bad. Focusing on lightning and fire magic so far and can do some good damage. I doubt I try nightmare though because of health bloat and not really wanting to use a traditional tank (I hate tanks).

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
If you build your party right, difficulty won't even matter and you can solo dragons. All you need to figure out is how to maintain shieds so they stay up for as long as possible.

I played on hard twice and in my inquisitor was able to solo all dragons + the descent boss solo. Champion and Knight Enchanter are just broken.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I played on hard twice and in my inquisitor was able to solo all dragons + the descent boss solo. Champion and Knight Enchanter are just broken.

I read some about builds before making a character and it sounds like Knight Enchanter is total easy mode, yeah. I'm avoiding it for that reason. Also avoiding Vivienne because my mage is a dalish elf who thinks the chantry and circles are rubbish. Probably go rift mage since AoE spells are one of the few things you feel like you're doing in "hold down LMB" combat.

P.S. The "recruit the mages" quest is a lot fucking better than I remember the templar one being in my first playthrough. Also bash Gayder all you want, he wrote Dorian according to the wiki and that motherfucker has the best dialog in the game by far.

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron

I read some about builds before making a character and it sounds like Knight Enchanter is total easy mode, yeah. I'm avoiding it for that reason. Also avoiding Vivienne because my mage is a dalish elf who thinks the chantry and circles are rubbish. Probably go rift mage since AoE spells are one of the few things you feel like you're doing in "hold down LMB" combat.

P.S. The "recruit the mages" quest is a lot fucking better than I remember the templar one being in my first playthrough. Also bash Gayder all you want, he wrote Dorian according to the wiki and that motherfucker has the best dialog in the game by far.
Gaider's strength is character writing, he wrote HK-47 too after all.
It's other stuff he's not as good at.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Knight Enchanter wasn't that strong when I played
When have you played the game?

At launch, the Knight Enchanter had a skill that made you completely invulnerable for a certain amount of time and, thanks to duration increases and cooldown reductions, that amount of time was longer than the cooldown. The only possible way to fail an encounter was to forget to press buttons.

sullynathan

Arcane
Knight Enchanter wasn't that strong when I played
When have you played the game?

At launch, the Knight Enchanter had a skill that made you completely invulnerable for a certain amount of time and, thanks to duration increases and cooldown reductions, that amount of time was longer than the cooldown. The only possible way to fail an encounter was to forget to press buttons.
A year ago or a few months ago.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist

Idk how people here think/feel about Dorian but he's probably the best written and most interesting companion of Inquisition. Just because he's from Tevinter is already really interesting.

Edit: I just found out that his writter (Gaider) left Bioware in 2016/18.. This is sad and big loss. Damn.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom