Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dragon Age: Inquisition Thread

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
They set it up so that hardly anyone would choose to go to the Templars. You go to the Orlais capital and you find the Templars punching old women before disappearing off to their base or whatever. And then you meet the mage leader who calmly and nicely asks you to meet her at Redcliffe. Which one would you rather go to first? And then you reach Redcliffe and find out there's some secret Tevinter plot going on, which would just make it irresponsible to not help the mages even if you're anti-mage.

Just as well though, the mage quest is much better.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
They set it up so that hardly anyone would choose to go to the Templars. You go to the Orlais capital and you find the Templars punching old women before disappearing off to their base or whatever. And then you meet the mage leader who calmly and nicely asks you to meet her at Redcliffe. Which one would you rather go to first? And then you reach Redcliffe and find out there's some secret Tevinter plot going on, which would just make it irresponsible to not help the mages even if you're anti-mage.

Just as well though, the mage quest is much better.

I didn't do this because I'm playing a pro-mage elf, but you can basically take the mages prisoner at the end of the mage quest and treat them like a templar would. That would be an in-universe way to do the mage questline as a pro-circle chantry type.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
^ Metagaming. You wouldn't know the mages are in a dire enough state to accept conscription without going to Redcliffe.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
Idk how people here think/feel about Dorian but he's probably the best written and most interesting companion of Inquisition. Just because he's from Tevinter is already really interesting.

Edit: I just found out that his writter (Gaider) left Bioware in 2016/18.. This is sad and big loss. Damn.

Dorian and Solas are the best characters. Gaider should have been writing on BG3. It's miles better than Larian's writing.

Semiurge

Cipher
Yeah the fact Origin still uses Bioware points for that shit is insane. I own most of them from the old Bioware website days, but the few I don't have want Bioware Points even in 2019 and fuck that.

Law of supply and demand. Not a very gentile practice for sure, but it makes sense considering that the DA series is still hot shit to the diehard fans.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
Idk how people here think/feel about Dorian but he's probably the best written and most interesting companion of Inquisition.

Absolutely, Dorian was a properly developed, three dimensional character. I appreciate that Gayder didn't flaunt his gayness, so he doesn't really talk about it unless you press him - unlike the freak with the mercenary band who is basically introduced as the "transexual person". I don't even remember the name. Ultimately irrelevant anyway.

Well done Gayder. Sadly his highs are more than matched by his lows. After all he also created and wrote Carth Onasi. Gayder creates above average characters when he succeeds, but when he fails - those are the characters people remember.

Good riddance to that fag. There are way better writers out there.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
^ Metagaming. You wouldn't know the mages are in a dire enough state to accept conscription without going to Redcliffe.

True, though you can get that intro scene where you see they're Tevinter's bitches without committing to either route. Though I also agree with what someone said above; once you see that cutscene it makes zero sense not to stop the Tevinter guy. I don't remember if the mages are mentioned again if you choose templars, but we'll see if the templars are mentioned after I chose mages. IIRC they were hopped up on red lyrium rather than being involved with Tevinter.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
Again, HK-47
I'm pretty sure people remember him

Sure, cool robot and one of the better things that Gayder created. It's just a very short list of above average characters, drowned by a way longer list of forgettable or infuriatingly bad characters.

There are so many better writers and he had no business to be the lead writer for a AAA franchise like DA.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I think the Dragon Age lore is pretty good, and looking at his list of written characters on the Dragon Age wiki I think they're more or less the average to good ones. Orsino in DA2 stands out as a poor one, given his abrupt and ridiculous turn at the end. Still... nothing screams out to me "Gaider was the root of evil" there.

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
Again, HK-47
I'm pretty sure people remember him
forgettable or infuriatingly bad characters.

There are so many better writers and he had no business to be the lead writer for a AAA franchise like DA.
Are his weaker characters "forgettable" or are they "the ones people remember?"
I agree he isn't generally a great writer. There are better and there are much worse in the business.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
Dragon Age is really wierd to.. It's a mixed bag.
Origins is a meh generic dark fantasy with some good points , Dragon Age 2 is guilty pleasure of mine , i legit think could've be a great game with more time because the story is way more interesting than DAO and DAI just because don't involve a world saving plot and Purple/Blue/Red Hawke is good concept well executed and DAI is ok but disappointing with some great highs (Dorian , DLC , Cullen, etc) and REALLY bad lows (gameplay , animations , open world trash, fetch quests, main story).

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
You guys keep mentioning there are better writers. But where?

Obsidian is a lost cause, Tyranny is good only because they let that one guy who writes 1 game every 5 or so years lead. Outer Worlds is atrocious, Pillars is mediocre.

Don't get me started on Larian, there is no point even playing their games cause they are nonsensical and devoid of any worth most of the time.

Pathfinder is solid but not a game I remember for the writing.

Wasteland 2 is mediocre.

Bethesda is a joke.

Witcher 3 is fine-ish, but plot structure, quest, story is all quite mediocre. They have good presentation & dialogues that does not make people cringe (all the time) but that's about it.

Horizon Boredom Dawn is terrible if we are considering it an RPG.

Kingdom Come Deliverance is unambitious in it's narrative.

So what do we have left.. Disco Elysium? Congrats to us for having one fckn competent studio writing RPGs.. -_-

Like it or not, Bioware is the second best option. Maybe third after Hairbrained studios whenever they decide to continue Shadowrun.

This is what modern writing has come down to.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
game I remember for the writing
Spellforce 3 is leagues above anything else in the past decade when it comes to dialogue writing. Atom is also pretty good when it comes to that. "siege of avalon" is pretty old but does have good writing,try it out if you haven't. ShadowRun dragonfall has also good writing.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Like it or not, Bioware is the second best option.
Would agree if Inquisition was BioWare's latest game, but Andromeda and Anthem would make you think they're just as mediocre as any other studio now. The circumstances of their development was different though, we won't know for sure until DA4 comes out.

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
Pathfinder is solid but not a game I remember for the writing.

Witcher 3 is fine-ish, but plot structure, quest, story is all quite mediocre. They have good presentation & dialogues that does not make people cringe (all the time) but that's about it.

So what do we have left.. Disco Elysium?
All 3 of these are still better-written than any nuBioware game and I am very confident that KCD is too.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom