Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dragon Age: Inquisition Thread

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
TW3's main quest isn't great but it's better than Inquisition's (as far as I played at least, never could stomach beating it).
TW3 has much better characters too.

I've never been a fan of Bioware's often cheesy dialogue, but I think they do great lore. For my tastes DA:I has better lore and overall story, while Witcher 3 has much better dialog and individual characters. Gameplay wise though, they have the same issues.

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
For my tastes DA:I has better lore and overall story, while Witcher 3 has much better dialog and individual characters. Gameplay wise though, they have the same issues.
TW3 has way better stories for individual quests, and while it does have fetch quests, they're not forgettable "collect 20 bear asses" shit like Inquisition. The "impostor Witcher" quest didn't have any more to it really compared to something like DA:I fetch quests, but it was memorable and entertaining.

The character building and combat in both is pretty boring though.

Codex Year of the Donut
Witcher 3 without DLC and DA:I aren't that different tbh.
You can point to fetch quests in DA:I, I can point to the quests in witcher 3 that are basically just "follow your batman vision witcher senses around". DA:I surpasses it in areas like character builds and itemization... but those are easily some of witcher 3's weakest points.

Outside of a few quest chains, most of the good parts of Witcher 3 are in HoS/B&W. And to be fair to DA:I, The Descent was actually very good. Nowhere near as good as HoS, but a pretty big step up from the base game.

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
You can point to fetch quests in DA:I, I can point to the quests in witcher 3 that are basically just "follow your batman vision witcher senses around".
The Witcher had actual writing around those quests though, like the aforementioned Fake Witcher, or the one where you go after a fiend and find it dead, so you know you have to kill something even tougher. Simple plots, but effective, and much more personality than any DA:I fetch quest I encountered. Just one way that the writing in TW3 is uniformly better than DA:I (even though the main plot is mediocre).

DA:I surpasses it in areas like character builds and itemization... but those are easily some of witcher 3's weakest points.
No argument here, TW3 sucked at it. Combat was comparably boring in both games though so builds and itemization don't really matter if they add up to nothing, IMO.

Outside of a few quest chains, most of the good parts of Witcher 3 are in HoS/B&W. And to be fair to DA:I, The Descent was actually very good. Nowhere near as good as HoS, but a pretty big step up from the base game.
I never played HoS or B&W, I got burned out on TW3 after I beat the main game.
But I got burned out on Inquisition way before beating it.

Codex Year of the Donut
but Witcher destroys Dragon Age in characters, lore, dialogue, quests, etc etc.
Characters? I'd give the edge to Witcher but DA:I has some interesting characters too.
Lore? I don't find Witcher lore particularly interesting at all, so I guess this is more of a personal preference.
Dialogue? Witcher, hands down.
Quests? Base games, they're tied. Both have some ups and a lot of downs. I don't think DA:I has any quest line that even gets close to how disappointing the one involving Dijkstra was.
"etc etc"?
Both of them had very lame endings in the base game. It's not even worth comparing, they both sucked.
Seeing choices you made two games ago affect the world is interesting. Witcher 2 has a few choices that carry over to 3, but it's nowhere near as many as DA:O/DA2 carry over into DA:I.

It's like two games fighting over the mediocre prize. I don't think either particularly outshined the other, but it's obvious why one gets more hate than the other here.

Codex Year of the Donut
Simple plots, but effective, and much more personality than any DA:I fetch quest I encountered.
Because you're cherrypicking.
The quest where you have to go visit Dandelion's girlfriends is an example of mundane filler shit. Come to think of it, mostly anything involving Dandelion was pretty terrible.

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
Simple plots, but effective, and much more personality than any DA:I fetch quest I encountered.
Because you're cherrypicking.
The quest where you have to go visit Dandelion's girlfriends is an example of mundane filler shit. Come to think of it, mostly anything involving Dandelion was pretty terrible.
I'm not cherrypicking, I'm saying that TW3 actually had some writing around its fetch quests and DA:I had virtually none (except loredumps sometimes). It was just "go here, do thing, for the Inquisition!"
Not all of TW3's quests were kino, but even the weaker ones put more effort into their writing than DA:I did with its fetch quest plots. Dandelion's quests might have been "mundane filler shit" but at least those quests had more of a reason to exist in the game than "collect all the bottles" or "complete all the constellations."

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
but at least those quests had more of a reason to exist in the game than "collect all the bottles" or "complete all the constellations."
As much reason to exist as the ubisoft-tier map in witcher 3, sure. You're comparing apples to oranges.
I'm comparing shitty quests I remember from DA:I to shitty quests you called out in TW3.
If there are shitty quests in DA:I you'd prefer to use as a comparison go ahead and use those instead but the best quests in TW3 are better than the best in DA:I and the worst quests in TW3 are better than the worst quests in DA:I as far as I remember.

Silly Germans

Wither 3 and DA:I honestly have the same problem: everything but the story quests is pretty banal and pointless. Witcher 3 has way more story quests though.

Agree with this, the popamole combat and cancerous open world design ruin both games, but Witcher destroys Dragon Age in characters, lore, dialogue, quests, etc etc.
The difference is that The Witcher 3 doesn't force feed you the open world shit, while DA:I is extremely obnoxious with it and doesn't have clear indicators what you can or can not ignore. I hate open world games but Witcher 3 plays fairly straightforward if you keep to the quest and has mostly story side quests and none of those gather 10 X over a giant area. When i tried DA:I i thought at first i was playing a fucking mmo.
I also didn't like the combat in DA:I which was the nail in the coffin. Witcher 3 combat is nothing to write home about but plays like a mediocre third person action game, which is ok for me. I don't know what DA:I is supposed to be. It is to slow for an action game but the control scheme is retarded for a tactical game. How do you play that crap ?

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Wither 3 and DA:I honestly have the same problem: everything but the story quests is pretty banal and pointless. Witcher 3 has way more story quests though.

Agree with this, the popamole combat and cancerous open world design ruin both games, but Witcher destroys Dragon Age in characters, lore, dialogue, quests, etc etc.
The difference is that The Witcher 3 doesn't force feed you the open world shit, while DA:I is extremely obnoxious with it and doesn't have clear indicators what you can or can not ignore. I hate open world games but Witcher 3 plays fairly straightforward if you keep to the quest and has mostly story side quests and none of those gather 10 X over a giant area. When i tried DA:I i thought at first i was playing a fucking mmo.
I also didn't like the combat in DA:I which was the nail in the coffin. Witcher 3 combat is nothing to write home about but plays like a mediocre third person action game, which is ok for me. I don't know what DA:I is supposed to be. It is to slow for an action game but the control scheme is retarded for a tactical game. How do you play that crap ?

As an interactive movie. DA:I I just played with the AI doing its thing, as a gaudy spectacle. Bar the rare occasion when there's something a bit tougher and boss-like, you can more or less take your hands away from the keyboard and it plays itself. Unless I really missed out on some hidden depth and complexity, it's not worth playing it any other way so far as I can see. DA2 was like that too. Only DA:O had actual gameplay in it.

Mind you, I actually like that, I like games where you can set complex conditional AI, and wind 'em up and watch 'em go. It's not exactly gameplay, but it's an amusing pastime with its own interest; actually, I suppose it even is a kind of gameplay in a tactical sense. And paradoxically, even though DA:O's gameplay was a bit deeper, its AI options were also a bit deeper, so you could play it hands-off too most of the time, and enjoy your characters' antics.

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
B8uTlalIMAACVef

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
TW3 has way better stories for individual quests, and while it does have fetch quests, they're not forgettable "collect 20 bear asses" shit like Inquisition.

I said right above this "Witcher 3 has way more story quests though." So yes, I agree. They have the same core issue, everything outside of story quests sucks, but Witcher 3 has way more story quests. Witcher 3's quest design usually sucks though, and is just a follow-the-marker Assassin's Creed style thing most of the time. In the end the story of the main questline is the main reason to play both games, for people not into open world busy work sims.

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
TW3 has way better stories for individual quests, and while it does have fetch quests, they're not forgettable "collect 20 bear asses" shit like Inquisition.

I said right above this "Witcher 3 has way more story quests though." So yes, I agree. They have the same core issue, everything outside of story quests sucks, but Witcher 3 has way more story quests. Witcher 3's quest design usually sucks though, and is just a follow-the-marker Assassin's Creed style thing most of the time. In the end the story of the main questline is the main reason to play both games, for people not into open world busy work sims.
I don't know what you mean by "story quests" though, I asked and you never answered.
Do you mean the main story? Because most of the best writing in TW3 isn't the "save Ciri" shit of the main story.
Or do you mean "quests that have a story?" Because every quest should have a story, which is why the fetch quests in DA:I are so shit.

Codex Year of the Donut

Witcher 3 gets its asshole slurped because it's made by Eastern Europeans.
Both games have nearly the same issues.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Butthurt kwanza

Codex Year of the Donut

Butthurt kwanza
Why would I be butthurt? Neither of them are American.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Butthurt kwanza
I have no idea really,it your problem lol. I have noticed that you are really butthurt when it comes to eastern evro games. After all kwanza haven't made a good game in more than a decade now.

Codex Year of the Donut

Butthurt kwanza
I have no idea really,it your problem lol. I have noticed that you are really butthurt when it comes to eastern evro games. After all kwanza haven't made a good game in more than a decade now.
Nope, I'm just pointing out that this site would happily eat a shit sandwich if it was Eastern European.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom