Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dragon Age: Inquisition Thread

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
TW3 has way better stories for individual quests, and while it does have fetch quests, they're not forgettable "collect 20 bear asses" shit like Inquisition.

I said right above this "Witcher 3 has way more story quests though." So yes, I agree. They have the same core issue, everything outside of story quests sucks, but Witcher 3 has way more story quests. Witcher 3's quest design usually sucks though, and is just a follow-the-marker Assassin's Creed style thing most of the time. In the end the story of the main questline is the main reason to play both games, for people not into open world busy work sims.
Witcher 3 gets its asshole slurped because it's made by Eastern Europeans.
Both games have nearly the same issues.
Butthurt kwanza
Why would I be butthurt? Neither of them are American.
I have no idea really,it your problem lol. I have noticed that you are really butthurt when it comes to eastern evro games. After all kwanza haven't made a good game in more than a decade now.
Nope, I'm just pointing out that this site would happily eat a shit sandwich if it was Eastern European.
In other words you think that the gems we got from eastern evropa are shit.....aka you butthurt kwan fag.

Codex Year of the Donut
TW3 has way better stories for individual quests, and while it does have fetch quests, they're not forgettable "collect 20 bear asses" shit like Inquisition.

I said right above this "Witcher 3 has way more story quests though." So yes, I agree. They have the same core issue, everything outside of story quests sucks, but Witcher 3 has way more story quests. Witcher 3's quest design usually sucks though, and is just a follow-the-marker Assassin's Creed style thing most of the time. In the end the story of the main questline is the main reason to play both games, for people not into open world busy work sims.
Butthurt kwanza
I have no idea really,it your problem lol. I have noticed that you are really butthurt when it comes to eastern evro games. After all kwanza haven't made a good game in more than a decade now.
Nope, I'm just pointing out that this site would happily eat a shit sandwich if it was Eastern European.
In other words you think that the gems we got from eastern evropa are shit.....aka you butthurt kwan fag.
You mean the mediocre copies of Western games?
Witcher is pretty much the only exception.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Butthurt kwanza
:lol::lol::lol:
tenor.gif

Codex Year of the Donut

Butthurt kwanza
tenor.gif
2f7.jpg

Rat King

Educated

Butthurt kwanza
tenor.gif
2f7.jpg
2f7.jpg

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
the base game is much worse than the DLC, why are you so stupid?

Native American Shit-For-Brains here, is sharing his feelings, thinking this is a safe space drum circle.

Fuck you and fuck your retarded opinion. Literally no one cares what your opinion is. Shame you didn't end up in the sheets.

PS. made you look, shit-for-brains
cool_story_bro.png

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I don't know what you mean by "story quests" though, I asked and you never answered.
Do you mean the main story? Because most of the best writing in TW3 isn't the "save Ciri" shit of the main story.
Or do you mean "quests that have a story?" Because every quest should have a story, which is why the fetch quests in DA:I are so shit.

Quests with a real story element, not "collect 5 badger pelts."

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
I don't know what you mean by "story quests" though, I asked and you never answered.
Do you mean the main story? Because most of the best writing in TW3 isn't the "save Ciri" shit of the main story.
Or do you mean "quests that have a story?" Because every quest should have a story, which is why the fetch quests in DA:I are so shit.

Quests with a real story element, not "collect 5 badger pelts."
OK then I maintain what I said, I don't even consider those to be quests, just busywork, and those "quests" were my biggest problem with DA:I and were virtually absent from TW3 (I can't think of any that didn't at least have a token effort put into writing the quest).

Silly Germans

Witcher 3 without DLC and DA:I aren't that different tbh.
You can point to fetch quests in DA:I, I can point to the quests in witcher 3 that are basically just "follow your batman vision witcher senses around". DA:I surpasses it in areas like character builds and itemization... but those are easily some of witcher 3's weakest points.
You are underplaying this, it makes a large difference. It is true that the mechanical structure of the quests is rather bland in both games but The Witcher 3 at least offers most of the time a story and a nice presentation to go along with it. That isn't the case with the fetch quests in DA:I, which is why i see no reason to overlook the bland design. Even from a mechanics point of view, id rather play follow the crumbs quests than fetch quests since they don't waste nearly as much time and you can be sure to finish them without being stuck at a 9/10 status.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
OK then I maintain what I said, I don't even consider those to be quests, just busywork, and those "quests" were my biggest problem with DA:I and were virtually absent from TW3 (I can't think of any that didn't at least have a token effort put into writing the quest).

I think we're speaking at cross purposes here. I'm just saying in both games it's the story content that is good and everything else that is meh. There's a lot more story content in Witcher 3, so it fairs much better from this situation, but I would never hold either game up as a gameplay triumph. Yet it is considered one, because like with Assassin's Creed all the Joe Blows really want to do is put the kids to bed and wander around checking off markers.

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron

I think we're speaking at cross purposes here. I'm just saying in both games it's the story content that is good and everything else that is meh. There's a lot more story content in Witcher 3, so it fairs much better from this situation, but I would never hold either game up as a gameplay triumph. Yet it is considered one, because like with Assassin's Creed all the Joe Blows really want to do is put the kids to bed and wander around checking off markers.
Yes my confusion was what you meant by "story quests" because I don't think the main story is the best part of either game. So I agree in that sense, and I think they both have comparably mediocre gameplay.

I do agree with what you're saying but it isn't just that TW3 has "more" writing ("story content"), it's also that the writing that is there is almost universally better than the writing in Inquisition (which had the odd highlight but was mostly not very good).

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
Retards: "DA:I is as good as Witcher 3 if you ignore everything Witcher 3 does better"
you mean like actual RPG elements such as character builds or itemization?
Those only matter if they actually meaningfully impact gameplay, but combat is so trash in DA:I that it really doesn't matter.
It's got pretty shit itemization too (but better than TW3), the only item I remember that stood out at all was the magic greatsword lightsaber thing you could build for a Knight-Enchanter, that was pretty cool.

Dodo1610

Arcane
I know it's not a popular opinion but out of all the RPG with saving the world stories, I thought Inquisition had one of the better ones.
Inquisition actually shows you the scale of the threat you are facing it gives you time to see the world you are supposed to save. It does cool things with the chosen one theme by letting the player decide whether they believe in it or not which affects a surprisingly large amount of dialogue.
The story has great moments and amazing setpieces like the in hushed whispers and the Winter Palace and of course the grey warden siege. Also, the fact that Inquisition actually pretty much ends most plot threads from the last two games.
Plus the game has without a doubt the best savegame import in any video game ever! It's insane how Bioware actually wrote dialogue just for the one idiot who chose to do the dark ritual with Loghain, while CDPR couldn't be bothered to tell us what happened to Saskia from The Witcher 2. I still don't understand why no one cares that events from the last two Witcher games were never brought up again.

The Witcher 3 main story is better directed, has better characters and more personal but I am honestly not sure if it's really the best thing ever written for a AAA RPG. It's an amazing collection of self-contained stories but doesn't feel very consistent to me. The story would have been better if it ended after killing the wild hunt king the part with the tower was simply unnecessary. TW3 should just have been a personal story about finding and protecting Ciri.
Sadly none of this really matters since DIA has the probably the worst open-world concept I know and combat that doesn't know what it wants to be. The Witcher 3 is at least very consistent in that area.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom