Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dragon Age: Inquisition Thread

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I really can't believe there's people outside resetera who thinks Inquisition was actually good at something

Preach brother. I can't believe what the fuck I am seeing lmfao. They are comparing DAI, a game that is just oozing this soft, estrogen laden vibes and is pozzed to the extreme, with a HIGH TESTISTERONE game like the W3.

Last edited:

Semiurge

Cipher
The only difference between Witcher 3's and DA:I's combat is for how long you have to hold the left-click.

Jt7K.gif

Couple of spells to make you feel like you are doing something, but its just a braindead spam in both game's.

Unless there's protective spells that render fighters immune to damage, that dragon could just laugh and crush those pathetic humans under its feet. At least in the Witcher series the gigantic enemies like the kayran or "Saskia" require special tactics, usually in the form of QTE's, so the combat doesn't make the enemies look quite as incompetent.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
There is no button mushing - right trigger is default bind to auto attack like in many action games and up to 8 skills are bound to XYAB (+ Left Trigger), maybe even more is possible. Iiirc gamepad limitation is the only reason why you can have only 8 skills on panel anyway, even with PC controls.

It was pretty fluid and I do not remember any targeting issues. I also vaguely remember moving + range attack was much easier on gamepad, but it was long ago, I could be wrong here.

I'm not saying this in a pissy way but it sounds like basically the same thing, honestly. Some people are always like "this needs a gamepad!" but as a 25+ year long PC gamer, pretty much nothing feels better to me with a pad. I think the controls are fine really, they're much exactly the same as Dragon Age 2 only you don't auto-attack and have to hold the mouse button. Holding R2 wouldn't really be much different. The thing that made me think the dagger rogue was shit was the enemies moving while you're stuck in long swinging animations, and the auto-target not moving automatically to the nearest enemy when you're doing melee.

I must have gotten used to it the first time around though, because I know I didn't switch to archer. I'm sure eventually you just get in the groove of moving and switching targets. My overall point is just that I think ranged combat works much better with the systems as designed.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
I dunno if the 8 ability limit is because of tech limitations or a design decision. The fact that you aren't allowed to change your abilities during combat makes me think it's the latter. Either way, it's retarded.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The PC version has a unique UI so you'd think it would have been easy to have a couple more ability slots on the bar. Maybe someone was worried about "game balance" but I'm pretty Sawyer never worked for Bioware.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It's a design decision, a minor attempt at something resembling a Vancian-like system plus not letting people get overwhelmed with options.

I dunno if the 8 ability limit is because of tech limitations or a design decision. The fact that you aren't allowed to change your abilities during combat makes me think it's the latter. Either way, it's retarded.
FF xiv on gamepad has 24-32 spell hotbar that isn't too hard to use.
I conclude, that It's a design decision, you don't want player to engage too much braincells, or he will get overwhelmed and drop the game.

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I conclude, that It's a design decision, you don't want player to engage too much braincells, or he will get overwhelmed and drop the game.
Inquisition is also only DA with multiplayer. Could be some peculiar design attempt to balance mages with less active-abilities-intensive classes.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Honestly I'm level 18 and still only use 5 abilities (4 lightning attacks and horror). Dorian uses 5 or so as well (a couple fire attacks, walking bomb and barrier/buffs). The passives are how you get stat boosts, so it's designed for you to take a lot of them. The expansions seem to have introduced more modifier abilities too, that enhance the normal ones. So I'm not sure the 8 ability limit really matters much. The game seems very much designed around planning a specific character type ("lightning blood mage") and making that as powerful as possible.

holy shit does this game look amazing
Yeah it looks gorgeous
Which is a problem theme wise, not everywhere in Thedas! should look gorgeous with the state they're in.

Dorian and Solas are the best characters
Dorian's whole existence and characterization is "Boohoo I'm gay" (in a very buggy mission that is), and Solas pees over elven lore and the game's plot, I don't remember the details after 6 years, but in a conversation towards the end of the game, he first ravages the elves' for being too uptight about their cultures, yet if you become critical as well, basically agreeing with him, he rails on you for being disrespectful toward elven culture.

sullynathan

Arcane
Dorian's whole existence and characterization is "Boohoo I'm gay" (in a very buggy mission that is), and Solas pees over elven lore and the game's plot, I don't remember the details after 6 years, but in a conversation towards the end of the game, he first ravages the elves' for being too uptight about their cultures, yet if you become critical as well, basically agreeing with him, he rails on you for being disrespectful toward elven culture.
Solas doesn't like modern Elven culture because thousands of years later they extol the negative parts of their ancestors (his people) as their history when he tried to free them from this future.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
I will always remember DA:I for killing my toaster. :argh:
The french area made my CPU eat so much power, it melted my cheapo PSU's plug. Merged with the mainboard like a transporter accident. Sad.

F. :salute:

alyvain

Learned
Which is a problem theme wise, not everywhere in Thedas! should look gorgeous with the state they're in.

Yes, it is too cheery, although it is the least of Inquisition's problems.

Still, I think it is better than the visual directions of Origins and DA2

Last edited:

Falksi

Arcane
Whole thing plays as ok-ish, if very repetitive, action-rpg on gamepad. PC controls are so retarded that I have no idea why anyone would inflict "Hold LK to attack" on himself. (and inflicting Inquisition on myself is beside the point here).

Do you mash buttons to strike on gamepad instead? I don't think it would make much difference since the issues aren't focused on holding or mashing, but on how the animations and targeting work. Unless the game is entirely reworked on a pad, which I doubt.

Anyway I do agree you need to play it without much direction for companions or "tactical camera." With Dragon Age 2 hard mode and up demanded you control their actions and such to a degree, and I disagree with people who say you can ignore companions on those difficulties, but this one requires little of that even on hard. It's more like Mass Effect where you focus on your guy and only tell them what to do in dire situations ("taunt this guy you motherfucker!"). I think a lot of people hate this attempt to combine "tactical" Origins style combat with button mashy action combat. The game is trying to be a hybrid which results in doing neither well, and I understand that. However I think the hybrid works much better as a mage, as it leans toward feeling more 3D RtwP as you line up AoE attacks, add buffs and debuffs, all while staying far away from the front line and the more melee focused clusterfuck.

Good post.

The only way to enjoy it with melee IMO is accept it as an action-RPG, and mash away.

It truly is an awful mess of a game allround.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I try to imagine the desperation of someone who is trying to push the argument that Witcher 3 isn't that better than Dragon Age Inquisition. That's 5-6 years after the games have been released, with their respective impact on gaming plainly visible, not to mention their general popularity, sales numbers, etc.

I try to imagine the delusion you have to have fallen into, in order to seriously claim the games are on par with each other.

Or the ignorance of being unable to see that both games set out to be the "Skyrim killer", DAI failed and fell into relative obscurity, while Witcher 3 became the new benchmark for the games that today pass for "RPG" in the popular definition. I'm not claiming it's genius in any aspect, just stating the fact that Witcher 3 is presently the benchmark.

Falksi

Arcane
I try to imagine the desperation of someone who is trying to push the argument that Witcher 3 isn't that better than Dragon Age Inquisition. That's 5-6 years after the games have been released, with their respective impact on gaming plainly visible, not to mention their general popularity, sales numbers, etc.

I try to imagine the delusion you have to have fallen into, in order to seriously claim the games are on par with each other.

Or the ignorance of being unable to see that both games set out to be the "Skyrim killer", DAI failed and fell into relative obscurity, while Witcher 3 became the new benchmark for the games that today pass for "RPG" in the popular definition. I'm not claiming it's genius in any aspect, just stating the fact that Witcher 3 is presently the benchmark.

I think both are toss, but I don't think there's much between them either. TW3's expansions are way better than all of them, but both main game's are fucking arduous, uninspiring slogs, and the button bashing is probably more fun in DA:I

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom