Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

The Dragon Quest Thread

Discussion in 'jRPG Weeaboo Discussion' started by Beautiful Clown Painting, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Jenkem Cipher Patron

Jenkem
    Make the Codex Great Again!
    is that builders game even good? I hate minecraft but I love DQ... if the first ever comes to PC I might check it out..

then again, I am also a fan of musou games and I love DQ, and DQ Heroes was pure trash... wish it was a full blown musou game and not some weird hybrid tower defense crap :negative:

^ Top  
  2. Abu Antar Tweet, tweet Patron

Abu Antar
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Never played Builders, lots of people liked it, though.

^ Top  
  3. Grampy_Bone Cipher

Grampy_Bone
    Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
    I enjoyed DQ Builders quite a bit, although I wished it had more actual magic and class powers. Combat felt dull and repetitive.

^ Top  
  4. The Decline Arcane

The Decline
    It was fun. But I do hope they add more from the DQ side of things. It looks like they are fixing a few WTF? design decisions from the first one.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. insukk Savant Patron

insukk
    Codex 2012
    DQ 1, 2 and 3 are coming to 3DS and Ps4 in Japan in August. I'm not posting any link because I'm on mobile. :P

With that every mainline DQ will be available on 3DS. Probably these ports will be based on SNES versions which were the base for mobile ports.

• nice nice x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. aweigh Arcane

aweigh
    BUILDERS is treash turds jesus christ it's picture perfect example of japs being japs.

it's a tie-in w/ DQ but i saw it, and i closed my eyes, and i sighed, and then i thought: why?

no DQ fan wants it. Minecraft fans won't want it as it is a massively neutered version.

why?

but then i remembered that DQ series actually almost NEVER does stupid shit like that that actually MATTERS, and instead they steadfastedly create one DQ masterpiece after another, without even RUMORS!!!

...without fucking RUMORS (!) EVER slipping out about how they're changing the gameplay from its Wiz/Ultima roots.

now THAT, my friends... THAT is something worth building.

(i.,e. yes, i know that makes no sense and is also unfunny as an additive).

DQ 11 fuckbois. get ready.

• Shit Shit x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. hogcranker Novice Patron

hogcranker
    I don't think it's actually much like Minecraft, it's way more quest-driven and "game-y" than that.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Vorark Savant

Vorark
    Huh, seems DQXI is coming to the Nintendo Switch after all.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. newtmonkey Arcane

newtmonkey
    :necro:

Lately I have been playing Dragon Quest V (SFC).

I've already finished DW 1&2 on NES back in the day (and also finished DW1 a second time a couple years ago; it was not great), and am saving DW3&4 for a rainy day, as I know they are great.

Dragon Quest V is alright. It has a slow start (much much slower than 2 or 3) and it's not very difficult, but it's still far and away better than your typical 16-bit console RPG. It's still got the "town-cave-town-cave" progression of many 16-bit console RPGs, but at least it's got a decent combat engine and dungeons that have actual layouts to them, instead of straight lines with side passages to treasure chests (FFIV-VI; though the FF series does improve each time, with some nice dungeons in FFVI).

In terms of graphics/music, it's a disaster compared with its contemporary competitor, Final Fantasy IV (which was released a year earlier). It almost looks like an NES/FC game with a special chip on the cart (slight exaggeration). This is especially damning, because FFIV was originally a FC game and then converted to SFC at some point during development (even many of the tiles and sprites are taken 1:1 from FFIII). Music composition is very nice, but the instrument quality is somewhat low; it's got that heavy reverb fake instrument feel that a lot of SNES/SFC games tend to have; again, compare it with FFIV, which sounds fantastic even today.

Putting the graphics/music aside, though, it's a fine game. It's easy so far (I'm still in the little kid portion of the game), but not as easy as FFIV for sure... and like I said above, the dungeons (as simple as they are) are a million times better than what we got with FFIV.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. glass blackbird Learned Patron

glass blackbird
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    If you ever want to replay it, the DS/mobile remake of 5 is really solid, and adds the party chat thing from 7+ to give the party members more chances to react to things and show off their personality without actually adding a bunch of new unskippable cutscene dialog to ruin the pacing like so many remakes do.

Plus it's based on the DQ7 engine so it looks like a 90s ps1 jrpg and that's pretty cool

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Grampy_Bone Cipher

Grampy_Bone
    Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
    DQ 5 has the best battle music of the whole series and a fantastic story. Too bad it limits you to a 3-man party (DS game fixed this) and lacks any decent class/customization options.

^ Top  
  12. e-mailio estevez Arcane

e-mailio estevez
    Weird coincidence. I've been playing DQ5 on the PS2. I'll probably go through some of the other games in the series again, too.

DQ11 did inspire me a bit with its draconian challenges. I've been imposing house-rules such as unequipping all armor except for maybe a shield on most character, limiting my consumables to 2 items per character each dungeon and only allowing 1 action between fights. Makes the game a little bit more challenging and fun. Unequipping armor is tends to be a decent way of making a lot of otherwise easy JRPGs pose some risk of death, I've found.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  13. Vorark Savant

Vorark
    Oh boy, this is the general DQ thread. Should've posted on the XI one, lel. Nothing to see here. [​IMG]

^ Top  
  14. Eggs is eggs Learned

Eggs is eggs
    Dragon Quest music puts me to sleep. It all sounds the same, the composer has been phoning it in for at least 20 years.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Harry Easter Learned

Harry Easter
    Still playing Dragon Quest VIII, grinding. Grinding a lot and it is okay. This is just relaxing and I'm kind of in awe how simple but effective the story is. Same for the skills. It's just fun and the visuals are still pleasing enough. Shows that good games don't have to be complicated or age, if the mechanics and the narrative are well-thoughtout.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)