Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dragon Quest Thread

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's a shame that the iOS versions of DQI - III got a nice Enix-like localization (no English twang but there's some jokey Shakespeare) that we won't see on proper (and probably not dumbed down) platforms.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
oh i've played and finished 3 and 9, i just wanted to read you guises opinions.

i adore the charming, child-like vignette story-telling (to a point, the game suffers serious pacing issues) of dq9 immensely, but it is a technical downgrade from the peak of the series in terms of mechanics, i.e. dq3.

i've played and beaten every dq except dq 2 and 10 (the never-translated, online-only one for Wii/3ds/something or other).

am eagerly awaiting dq11. already made up my mind to buy a 3ds + dq11 when it comes out. decided it will come in use for playing while using treadmill/bike.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
it's a shame the ps1 remake of dq 4 (my favorite of the series) has never been fan-translated. i haven't poked around inside the .ISO but considering how many years it's been out, and considering how prolific fan-translations have become... i am 100% sure that it must feature seriously legit text compression/encryption/something-or-other that would make it a huge, huge, HUGE undertaking to translate. 'Tis a shame, as it is easily the best version of dq 4 available:

- same difficulty / items / monster stats / etc as NES original
- ps1 graphics overhaul (i.e. think dq7 ps1-style graphics)
- no missing content (like NDS version's missing party chat option)
- goes without saying but: Ability to play game in normal video game mode instead of mobile-device LANDSCAPE or PORTRAIT or whatever. (i despise the NDS version's necessity of playing in PORTRAIT mode, ugh).

Now, I am interested in playing the iOS (and android??) ports of any dq games.

Q #1: are there android versions?

Q #2: if not, and only iOS, what's a good emu to play them? an iOS emu for PC i mean, obviously.

Q #3: and for the hell of it (even tho i have several android craps), is there/what is a good android emu for PC?

Hyperion

Arcane
I only played the fan translated Dragon Warrior 3 for SNES. The personality system was interesting, but this series has a pretty hefty tendency to heavily favor Females in terms of stat maxing. This title was no exception with the extra gear options, plus the Sexy personality is more or less all around better than every other personality in the game. Amazon is also probably the best overall Physical personality. 9's character customization with the class system started out excellent, but the fact that it also took 8's skill point system made the game feel even grindier because it basically made a requirement for every character to have a weapon at 100, shields at 100, and then as many class's special stat leveled to 100 as possible. When post-game rolled around, the goal wasn't to have unique characters, it was to have superheroes.

Best part of 3 was the openness during the search for the orbs (or whatever they were called). And it felt open. You had to search, you had to speak to people, you had to guess and maybe find things you weren't 'supposed' to do. 9 tried to emulate it with the search for Fyggs, but it kinda fell flat. The first 3 or 4 Fyggs were obtained as part of the game railroading you 'till you got your boat. The amount of game left to explore was then miniscule, and more to search for the materials you needed to throw in the Alchemy Pot.

By the time post-game rolled around in 9, I was already sick of the game. It might have been the lack of any discernible difficulty, might have been the fact the carrot wasn't worth it, or just the requirements didn't feel fun.

already made up my mind to buy a 3ds + dq11 when it comes out. decided it will come in use for playing while using treadmill/bike.

I tried that, didn't work out well. Found that I focused too much on the game and didn't get a good workout in. If you pull it off, more power to you.

flyingjohn

Arcane
it's a shame the ps1 remake of dq 4 (my favorite of the series) has never been fan-translated. i haven't poked around inside the .ISO but considering how many years it's been out, and considering how prolific fan-translations have become... i am 100% sure that it must feature seriously legit text compression/encryption/something-or-other that would make it a huge, huge, HUGE undertaking to translate. 'Tis a shame, as it is easily the best version of dq 4 available:

- same difficulty / items / monster stats / etc as NES original
- ps1 graphics overhaul (i.e. think dq7 ps1-style graphics)
- no missing content (like NDS version's missing party chat option)
- goes without saying but: Ability to play game in normal video game mode instead of mobile-device LANDSCAPE or PORTRAIT or whatever. (i despise the NDS version's necessity of playing in PORTRAIT mode, ugh).

Now, I am interested in playing the iOS (and android??) ports of any dq games.

Q #1: are there android versions?

Q #2: if not, and only iOS, what's a good emu to play them? an iOS emu for PC i mean, obviously.

Q #3: and for the hell of it (even tho i have several android craps), is there/what is a good android emu for PC?

Dragon quest 1-8 are all available on android.

There is no ios emulator available.

As for android emulators you have several choices:
-https://www.bignox.com/ (if you have avast don't use it)https://www.bignox.com/
-virtualbox or vmware player(you have to set it up yourself)
-amiduos (not free)
-https://droid4x.en.uptodown.com/windows

shram

Arcane
Developer
Hey, discussion!

Beware the Android ports, they've been tuned down a TON even in comparison to the SNES versions.

The SFC ports remain my favorite to this day, they retain a good challenge mixed with probably the most intuitive interface, overall game speed and still really nice 2d. In the case of 3, it may use the same graphics as the mobile port, but the interface, game speed, higher difficulty, and full screen graphics give it a giant leg up.

I feel the same about 1 and 2, the first remakes remain the best and still a solid gaming experience today.

The DS remakes, while solid, chop a portion of the gameplay out by allowing you to rush them and still be overleveled. 6 in particular was not only way more challenging on snes but the 2d backgrounds put the remake to shame.

I recently tested all the versions of 4 to nail down their differences and I heartily agree the psx version is the best. On DS you are leveled so fast the majority of the game feels trivial, much like the Android ports of 1 and 2. The PSX port retains the challenge of nes while reducing encounter rate to a manageable level and still giving you a near identical graphical upgrade.

9 was crap, just imo. X was decent for the story but all MMOs are blah, so.

I've tried all the ports and translations and remakes of nearly every version of these games and all I can say is learn Japanese. It's less painful than playing many of the translations.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Second restriction part of Restricted Play mode announced.
Square Enix shared 26 minutes of new gameplay footage from Dragon Quest XI: In Search of Departed Time during its latest “Dragon Quest XI Countdown Carnival” hands-on event in Fukuoka today.

The 3DS footage shows the start of the game in both 3D and 2D play styles. The PlayStation 4 footage shows the player strolling through the Delcadar Kingdom while taking on a pair of quests.

Square Enix also revealed the second possible restriction for the game’s recently announced “Restricted Play” mode, which allows you to play the game with certain features disabled. The first restriction was shopping. The second possible restriction is being unable to run away from battle.

DQXI-Restricted-Play_06-10-17-600x338.jpg

Watch the footage below. (3DS gameplay runs from 22:17 to 35:10, PlayStation 4 gameplay runs from 36:02 to 49:14.)

Vorark

Erudite
PS4 version looks goods and all but the the 3DS classic mode is perfect. The NPCs even keep the "walking in the same spot" animation, just like the older games. What a goddamn love letter. :love:

Hopefully both versions will be localized.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
PS4 version looks goods and all but the the 3DS classic mode is perfect. The NPCs even keep the "walking in the same spot" animation, just like the older games. What a goddamn love letter. :love:

Hopefully both versions will be localized.

Yeah, 3DS version looks like the best one because of this.

flyingjohn

Arcane
So will there be any differences between the versions in term of content?(quest,enemies,etc)
Cause if the only difference is graphics,music and scale then the 3ds version is probably a better deal.
And plus it would be amazing for pc gamer's to have access to a new dragon quest game at the same time as the console versions thanks to emulation.

Vorark

Erudite
So will there be any differences between the versions in term of content?(quest,enemies,etc)
Cause if the only difference is graphics,music and scale then the 3ds version is probably a better deal.
And plus it would be amazing for pc gamer's to have access to a new dragon quest game at the same time as the console versions thanks to emulation.

It's almost the same game.

Dragon Quest XI is directed by Takeshi Uchikawa and composed by Koichi Sugiyama. Yosuke Saito is the general producer. Both the PS4 and 3DS versions share the same story, but differ in visuals and partially in development teams.

Source: http://gematsu.com/2015/07/dragon-quest-xi-announced-ps4-3ds

Sugiyama noted that every piece in the upcoming RPG is newly written and that, while it is the same pieces for both the PS4 and 3DS, the different platforms will feature unique arrangements of the music.
(...)
Speaking of differences between the two versions of Dragon Quest XI, a bit of footage from the game was recently shown off during a recent NHK program. In the footage from the 3DS version, we are able to see that the party members follow the main character as they move around the world. This is a feature that is noticeably absent from the PlayStation 4 version.

Source: http://www.siliconera.com/2017/01/0...ons-will-feature-different-arrangements-music

sser

Arcane
Developer
All I care about is paper dolls. I like to dress my barbies up.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Just finished playing DQ9

To hammer in the point a couple of you others made:

Weak ass story, too much post story bloat, very crappy experience. Weakest DQ game.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i definitely wouldn't call DQ 9 the weakest experience of the lot. let's be realistic here, even for a mega-wank fan of the DQ series such as myself i would say it goes withotu saying a DQ "fan" would prefer to play DQ 9 to the first 2 NES titles, so that by a minimum ranks it as 3rd from last in terms of which to pick up and play.

this has been rehashed numerous times already in this topic but best DQs are (IMO):

Top 3 in no order of quality:

1) DQ 4
2) DQ 3
3) DQ 5

DQ 6 takes spot number 4, and I would put in fifth place none other than DQ 9 itself.

...list subject to change upon release of the glorious-looking DQ 11 of course :D

DragoFireheart

i definitely wouldn't call DQ 9 the weakest experience of the lot. let's be realistic here, even for a mega-wank fan of the DQ series such as myself i would say it goes withotu saying a DQ "fan" would prefer to play DQ 9 to the first 2 NES titles, so that by a minimum ranks it as 3rd from last in terms of which to pick up and play.

this has been rehashed numerous times already in this topic but best DQs are (IMO):

1) DQ 4
2) DQ 3
3) DQ 5

DQ 6 takes spot number 4, and I would put in fifth place none other than DQ 9 itself.

...list subject to change upon release of the glorious-looking DQ 11 of course :D

Why do you rate DQ4 so highly?

And why isn't DQ8 on your top 5 list?

LJ40

Cipher

1) DQ 4
2) DQ 3
3) DQ 5

Why do you rate DQ4 so highly?

And why isn't DQ8 on your top 5 list?
Because he sucks dick for dungeon crawlers. Older DQ games were sort of good examples of that.

DQ4 is rated highly because it's fucking awesome. But then DQ8 (and 7) is missing because he's fucking stupid.

DQ9 was a load of fucking shit though. As far as this series goes, staying away from people shit stupid enough to like 9 is key.

DragoFireheart

I have not played: 7, 4, 2, (and obviously 10 since I'm gaijin scum). But if 7 is anything like 6 it'll be pretty good.

I personally find DQ3 to be the best. It had the right amount of character customization and exploration.

DQ8 has the best story hands down. Yangus is sexy as fuck.

Whenever I get to DQ2 I will play the original NES version for the challenge.

LJ40

Cipher
I will warn you that 7 is a bit of an acquired taste. It's long as fuck, and a lot of people get tired of it before finishing. I love it personally, but also see how it was just too fucking much. In addition to 2, try to play 4 on the original NES as well. It's fucking tits.

DragoFireheart

I will warn you that 7 is a bit of an acquired taste. It's long as fuck, and a lot of people get tired of it before finishing. I love it personally, but also see how it was just too fucking much. In addition to 2, try to play 4 on the original NES as well. It's fucking tits.

Is DQ4 on the DS fine? I already have that, ready to go.

I had to emulate DQ3 to play it. Annoying how uncommon it is.

I found 6 to be pretty long. The game after the mid-game boss but before the final area felt like forever.

I'm playing DQ7 on the 3DS btw.

LJ40

Cipher
4 is absolutely fine on the 3DS, as is 7. I try to recommend shit on original platforms if possible, really just out of spite for these new fangled fucks that piss off my old sensibilities.

Hyperion

Arcane
Dragon Warrior 7 should be played on the ps1, not the DS. They lowered the difficulty of the game, removed portions of it I believe, and managed to make it even grindier than the original. You no longer keep abilities of a class when you become something else. The only way to retain abilities following a class change is through the use of monster hearts...which is basically ANOTHER form of class change.

So instead of like 300 battles to get a big arsenal of spells via Mage, you have to fight like 100 battles in 15 different monster classes to get the same arsenal.

The only positive I would say is the removal of the beginning dungeon, as this game has the slowest start in the series, but is by far the best imo. You *must* search EVERYWHERE in order to finish the game, remember seemingly useless details to progress at times, backtrack to completed continents after every completed area, and gaining access to the final bonus dungeon is extremely aggravating.

DragoFireheart

Dragon Warrior 7 should be played on the ps1, not the DS. They lowered the difficulty of the game, removed portions of it I believe, and managed to make it even grindier than the original. You no longer keep abilities of a class when you become something else. The only way to retain abilities following a class change is through the use of monster hearts...which is basically ANOTHER form of class change.

So instead of like 300 battles to get a big arsenal of spells via Mage, you have to fight like 100 battles in 15 different monster classes to get the same arsenal.

The only positive I would say is the removal of the beginning dungeon, as this game has the slowest start in the series, but is by far the best imo. You *must* search EVERYWHERE in order to finish the game, remember seemingly useless details to progress at times, backtrack to completed continents after every completed area, and gaining access to the final bonus dungeon is extremely aggravating.

Well I don't have it for the PS1 and I already have it for the 3DS.

EDIT: Is the PS1 version really that much better?

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom