Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dwarf Run

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
So yeah, too bad. The game had a lot of promise and I wanted to either do a short review or at least recommend it here as a hidden gem after I finished it but the arena completely ruins the endgame. It is never a good idea to stretch gametime by throwing hundreds of enemies at the party in lategame but this is one of the most shameless time stretchers I've ever encountered.

I actually like the whole "fight battle, earn money to buy your own equipment back" thing quite a bit, since it forces me to micromanage exactly which items I buy when. I'm playing at the highest difficulty level, and there's usually only one arena battle available that I have any chance of winning; the other ones might require magic resist gear (haven't bought that back yet), or more ranged damage, or a wizard who can survive one more turn without healing, etc. etc. They're wonderful little combat puzzles.

As a whole, the game reminds me of Blackguards meets Frayed Knights, and I enjoy it accordingly.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Finished it with 20 hours logged on the save game, hardest difficulty, suffered only one knockout (that nerve-wracking second barbarian fight in the arena). Marvellous little game, basically a better Blackguards 1 with similar qualities (set team, heavily combat focussed, linear "acts" with a flexible encounter structure), but with more optional battles and more enemy variety.

I found the writing very charming, both despite and because of the weird translation. The game was also pretty funny; humor is exceptionally subjective, but I found it funnier than Frayed Knights.

The rule system is quite neat and has lots of trade-offs; as I see it, Warriors should take some combination on Spd, Dex, Con, and a little Str, Rangers take Dex, Spd, Con, and a tiny bit of Int, Priests take Dex, Spd, Con and a medium amount of Int in some combination I haven't figured out yet, and Wizards mostly take Int and Con, with a medium amount of Dex and a bit of Spd. There are a lot of interrelations, and it's hard to find the "best" stat to increase at any given level. The various mechanics are well explained, and the help screen is concise and actually helpful; help screen enthusiats will not be disappointed.

You can invest in a healthy selection of special abilities, which caused me all sorts of math-y agonizing towards the endgame. At least on the highest difficulty, it seems totally possible to spec your character into an impossible direction, especially your wizard, whose spells strongly vary in utility based on what you're fighting. I min-maxed a lot, but I was still sweating bullets in a few of the later battles. There is a "full respec" option in the options, but it's explicitly marked as a cheat...

Graphically, it reminds me of a more primitive version of Anachronox, maybe because one of the dwarves looks like Grumpos. The credits list a bunch of Unity Asset Store creators, but the designer did a good job making each environment look coherent; you don't look at the assets in the scene, and think "these were obviously made by five different people!" It's good enough, I think.

The adventure elements were indeed pretty light; they were a pleasant diversion between battles, but it was generally perfectly obvious what to do. By contrast, the battles became increasingly puzzly as the game progressed; in one battle I had to let a monster attack an otherwise unbeatable enemy to reduce his damage resistance, another could only be beaten by resting during combat, another required me to remove most of my equipment... I really liked these encounters, and there was a lot of variety to them in the endgame.

Overall, an easy recommendation and one of the best games of last year.

Last edited:

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
This is on a -66% sale for this week on Steam.

Bought it, played for an hour, had fun, wanted to play more, goddamnit why do I have to go to work tomorrow.

ColCol

Arcane
Beat it. It was a nice first effort. The dungeon design and character/equipment systems were interesting enough. The combat encounters reach infuriating levels (mainly due to the arena which takes up a huge chunk of the game) by the mid point of the game. My game was around 20 hours but probably lasted much longer than that due to the sheer number of time I had to repeat a difficult fight. The end game dungeon finishes the game on weak note: No last boss, enemies that are difficult only because you can do 1 damage to them per hit, few interesting puzzles, etc. Yet, the game was obtained cheaply (almost a steal) and if the creator fixes these problems I would gladly buy her/his next game.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
No last boss, enemies that are difficult only because you can do 1 damage to them per hit

I actually thought the final dungeon was very appropriately designed for the scope of the game; only a few battles, but all of them tough. The first two mini-boss battles (before you get a viable weapon and need to "abuse" something else, and when you first have a viable weapon and have to figure out how to maximize its utility) were probably the best, since they introduced interesting new mechanics. The final battle just retained those mechanics and threw four (?) strong adds into the mix, but I liked that just fine; you basically have the "tradtional" end-boss fight at the end of the arena, and the rest of the game is just a deliberately silly digression.

In general, I wouldn't be disappointed at all if the next game offered the same type of "boss fight" encounter design again.

The combat encounters reach infuriating levels (mainly due to the arena which takes up a huge chunk of the game) by the mid point of the game. My game was around 20 hours but probably lasted much longer than that due to the sheer number of time I had to repeat a difficult fight.

I recommended playing on the highest difficulty level in my review because I personally enjoy repeating a tough fight three or four times before I can beat it. Setting the difficulty one or two notches lower should make the game pretty easy, but that would destroy the appeal for me.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
The developer is still checking up on this thread every week (no hax, I'm just seeing him on the user list), so any feedback will very likely be read by him while he's working on the prequel.

And yeah, the frequent introduction of new enemies and new mechanics is one of my favourite elements of the game. If the sequel can keep the battles fresh and relatively trash mob-free, then it should be pretty good indeed.

belated

Augur
Enjoyed this game a lot, even is the arena did get a bit repetitive. Nice that equipment was a bit limited as well.

ColCol

Arcane
Also, I do feel the final dungeon was a nice finish story-wise to the game. I just wish after the long arena there would be a slightly longer (further developed) dungeon. Also, I get what you're saying about the last fights but the majority were tedious/boring .

Random question, are there more weapons choice for the cleric? He starts out with a decent amount in the beginning but he seems to lose out in the later half of the game.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
I've started forgetting things about the game, but isn't the cleric good with a gun?

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Great game. Properly balanced, hard fights, that are fair. First ignored this because of graphics, but now bought it and game is fun.

Highly recommend to fellow codexers.

covr

Prophet
Patron
Bought this recently, shame that there is no character creation. Game is good, some jokes are funny and the puzzles are nice. Playing DR is like a journey to the times when you were younger and developers were much more creative and giving all their hearts to the game.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
is the game turn based? can't believe no one has mentioned if it is or not.

Yeah, I put it in my original post. I said TB and no chargen. I always list combat mode and anything major (like lack of chargen), etc.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Combat is so good, i dont mind 50 fights.

Also, amount of skills and spells is not a lot BUT they offer so many different class builds.
I recommend using "Cheat!" button to change builds, each fight usually require different buid to play (!).

For example, for some fights high Dex and high Con wizard that focus on sparks spells and melee is best (+ take 2 summons).
For some fights you want possess+fireball wizard with high Int and lowest Dex and Con.

Also, look at ranger 3 skills, each of them can change fights. For example 10 str second skills forces enemy boss to waste round! Or 10 Int head shot forces to miss most of time. Or slowing shot that makes enemy have only 2 speed, i.e. you can kite non-stop.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
I dont know why changing Builds is considered "Cheating" by dev.

Pretty sure you cant win all fights on highest difficulty unless you change builds at least sometimes. Prove me wrong.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Pretty sure you cant win all fights on highest difficulty unless you change builds at least sometimes. Prove me wrong.

I won all fights on highest difficulty without ever changing builds

QED

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik

I won all fights on highest difficulty without ever changing builds

QED

Now, knowing game - i win all fights without changing build, since i know all specifics and what is needed.

After heavy experimenting:
Mage best build is probably mage with 5+1 speed, a bit extra con and max dex and full on sparks. This way you can avoid BS random that game has (spells cant miss). 30-40 dmg per spark, you use 2 per turn.
Ranger needs 3 fatigue arrows (for boss fights).

Last edited:

Gregz

Arcane
The developer is still checking up on this thread every week (no hax, I'm just seeing him on the user list), so any feedback will very likely be read by him while he's working on the prequel.

I'd change very little, at the end I just wished there was more content, lots of fun.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom