Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Elder Scrolls Online - gone B2P

Dunmer, Argonians and Nords in an alliance. Wow.

"...and then Vivec dropped a moon on the lot of them. The end."

Angthoron

Arcane
Perhaps they created the alliance just so they could be called the NADs :smug:

"Keep them neutral in the conflict. I don't want NADs getting sucked into this."

"The NADs are getting a swelled opinion of themselves."

"I saw NADs the other day. Filthy creatures, I avoid them whenever I can."

theHiddenHand

Educated
Honestly this is something that doesn't really interest me that much but lots of elder scrolls fans have been asking for this for years so maybe this will give them something to be excited about but not me, different folks and different strokes an all that.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I don't think this is what Elder Scrolls fans are looking for. Lack of housing, neutered exploration, hot bar combat, rigid class structure, Kingdoms of Amalur graphics, and a PvP clusterfuck are not the features that sold 10 million copies of Skyrim. This is WoW's feature list, except WoW is bigger, more polished and already losing players by the millions who have grown tired of it. This is an epic failure in all regards. I bet at least a half dozen or so Asian free to play companies can't wait to bid on the Elder Scrolls and Fallout IPs after this disaster unfolds.

:hero: +:patriot: = :hearnoevil:

theHiddenHand

Educated
It's not the mmorpg I wanted either; but considering the fact that I didn't want one in the first place that is not surprising :)

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
Well, at least the retardation of average MMO players will be on par with Elder Snores NPCs... Not to mention a guild called "The Cliff Racers".

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I can't honestly imagine getting excited about any MMO's in the near future. I guess a decent sandbox with good combat and reasonably high production values is too much to ask for. It looks like EVE managed to do it, but the setting just doesn't grab me. Archeage and Age of Wulin seem alright, but the combat looks horrible in both. I just want a game where I can have a good time going about my business, feeling like I have a unique character in a quality setting where a bunch of other people are doing the same thing. Why is this too much to ask for?

Nattvardsvin

Learned
So I come back from a short trip and I'm greeted with some nice decline.:incline: on that. Not surprising that they chose to go that road with their MMO, instead of actually doing something interesting with it.
So I guess having Matt Firor as project leader didn't do jack shit good.

Deleted member 7219

Says more about the Codex than me. Third site on the list after Bethblog and GameInformer, we can be proud guys.

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
I wonder how many "professional reviewers" speak more out of PR that absolute opinion when they say that single player Elder Scrolls games are some of the best games they've played.

Honestly, I hope it's the former because that actually makes sense.

In b4 Volourn with his Canadian multikult bullshit enforcing the idea that people can have shitty opinions.

Stabwound

Arcane
It will be fun to see all the "professional reviewers" change their tune when the game is going to be released.

10/10 best MMORPG of the ever!

Vernydar

Learned
I don't think this is what Elder Scrolls fans are looking for. Lack of housing, neutered exploration, hot bar combat, rigid class structure, Kingdoms of Amalur graphics, and a PvP clusterfuck are not the features that sold 10 million copies of Skyrim. This is WoW's feature list, except WoW is bigger, more polished and already losing players by the millions who have grown tired of it. This is an epic failure in all regards. I bet at least a half dozen or so Asian free to play companies can't wait to bid on the Elder Scrolls and Fallout IPs after this disaster unfolds.

This. The mmorpg genre, weighted down by the inevitable huge amount of grind, is losing more and more users. After all these game are quite similar to each other. And if you really have to play one, then Warcraft is at least polished and with a huge amount of content. The Elder Scrolls setting is actually quite unsuited for a mmorpg. While there is a huge amount of lore, the political situation of the setting is relatively stable. There are no real factions constantly fighting it out between themselves, though that's what they want to sell us with the info available now. It's more an "inhabitants of the world vs deadra / gods/ monsters " setting.

That said, they wrote it would be three factions fighting it out for the imperial throne, so they could theorically make it somewhat a political heavy game. But that's not really what transpires from the info available for now.

It's just another warcraft clone. And what's worse, it could negatively impact on the possible development of further elder scrolls single player games. Definitely a bad thing imo.

Thane Solus

Arcane
It will be fun to see all the "professional reviewers" change their tune when the game is going to be released.

10/10 best MMORPG of the ever!

Well that is the mainstream gaming journalism today.

1)Publisher buys ads on the site. Site doesnt want to loose publisher for further deals, makes a shitty game look good 10/10 GOTY!!!oone. When it hapenns? Most of the time
2)Direct huge bribes, site wants money! When it happens? Not very often, but it happens. The Ads way is better:)
3)Terrible McDonalds Sunday Journalism, have no clue about gaming, but they still write reviews even for Eurogamer, which turned into shit years ago.
4)Generic reviews to fill the site with unique content

5)Blogs or Small sites with people that actually write good articles, because they have experience in gaming, and some are actually game designers. These sites are not that popular since most of the time will tell people HOW SHIT are the games are playing in a objective way.

:deadhorse:

Levarious

Novice
ESO screenshot creates a largely negative reaction

Game Informer has provided the first non-leaked screenshots of the Elder Scrolls Online (hereafter referred to as ESO). The screenshots show players fighting Storm Atronachs.

Reaction to the graphics and announcement has been mixed.

Jara commenting on Bethblog was dismissive. "You gotta be shitting me. This looks like a beta screenshot for Morrowind," Jara said. "Warcraft has pretty lousy graphics by today’s standards too, but this looks… after how gorgeous Skyrim was, this looks like an insult," he said.

Yoda Unleashed on GameInformer.com was also unimpressed. "Looks like your typical run of the mill MMORPG," Yoda Unleashed said. "So long as Bethesda continue to make singler-player Elder Scroll RPG's I don't mind this existing. But if this replaces that single-player experience then I'll be disappointed to say the least."

Matt7895 from RPGCodex was even more critical. "Third-person, cartoony graphics," he said. "F*#k them to hell."

But GoldvsSilver on GameInformer.com was happy. "Looks great!" he said.

Other commenters pointed out that MMOs need lower system requirements to allow players with lower end machines and internet connectivity to play the game.

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/news/article.php?id=115#

426677-1336392781.jpg

Father Walker

Potato Ranger
Oh my. Expecting some tasteful lore rape :incline:

And this TOR engine thing is just pure gold.

Bahamut

Arcane

Another useless trailer with really nothing to show

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom