Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elder Scrolls The Elder Scrolls VI - officially announced but you'll have to wait

Guess the Province/Location

• Hammerfell

• High Rock

• Valenwood

• Elsweyr

• Black Marsh

• Summerset Isle

• Daggerfall

• Akavir (kingcomrade)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Codex Year of the Donut
This document was leaked five or six years ago. Too old to be valid even. -)

sGGQbwB.jpg
iirc greenheart is just a tiny little town in ESO

Neerasrc

Learned
This document was leaked five or six years ago. Too old to be valid even. -)

sGGQbwB.jpg
iirc greenheart is just a tiny little town in ESO

ESO was present when this document leaked.
Theory: (Somewhere I caught my attention.)
In each game a tower was destroyed. (It has been defused.)
Morrowind - Red Tower
Oblivion - White Gold
Skyrim - Snow Throat
If I'm not mistaken, these towers serve as shields between Oblivion and the world. Now there are only two towers active. Located in Valenwood, Green-Sap and High Rock.
Plain logic can still be valenwood. Of course, it wouldn't be right to say one thing for sure.

Whipped Cream

Learned
Patron
The E3 2018 teaser trailer clearly shows the northern coast of Hammerfell, along the Illiac Bay. Thus, unless Bethesda were deliberately trolling and misleading people with that trailer, the game will be set in Hammerfell, not in Valenwood.

Its possible that the game will be a spiritual sequel to ES II and will be set 50-50 in High Rock and Northern Hammerfell, but I think that would be a mistake. Hammerfell is one of the most interresting provinces, while High Rock is the most generic and boring one (next to Cyrodiil).

The tower theory is just one out of several really far out there fan theories that Michael Kirkbride (one of the lead writers on Morrowind) came up with several years after he quit Bethesda, which has never been confirmed officially. The theory doesn't really make any sense and its only real claim to merit is that there happens to be a tall tower or a big mountain in the middle of the map in all five mainline Elder Scrolls games.

Neerasrc

Learned
The E3 2018 teaser trailer clearly shows the northern coast of Hammerfell, along the Illiac Bay. Thus, unless Bethesda were deliberately trolling and misleading people with that trailer, the game will be set in Hammerfell, not in Valenwood.

Its possible that the game will be a spiritual sequel to ES II and will be set 50-50 in High Rock and Northern Hammerfell, but I think that would be a mistake. Hammerfell is one of the most interresting provinces, while High Rock is the most generic and boring one (next to Cyrodiil).

The tower theory is just one out of several really far out there fan theories that Michael Kirkbride (one of the lead writers on Morrowind) came up with several years after he quit Bethesda, which has never been confirmed officially. The theory doesn't really make any sense and its only real claim to merit is that there happens to be a tall tower or a big mountain in the middle of the map in all five mainline Elder Scrolls games.

There was a tower in Daggerfall. (island-mantia tower) Does not look like the Tower. There is a structure in the E3 2018 trailer. (Maybe a tower) The valenwood project is based on the document. There is also an active tower inside. There is also a mountainous area by the sea. That's why it made sense to me.

Hammerfell, Valenwood or High Rock. It doesn't matter to me. Bethesda should do something. If Starfield hasn't made any rapid progress, we'll wait too long.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I wouldn't say it clearly shows Hammerfell -- people are giving Bethesda too much credit trying to match up the older maps/cities with that snippet of pre-rendered footage they saw for six seconds. That said, yeah it looks like a fairly barren and rocky region which points to either Hammerfell or Highrock (or both) versus Valenwood which, you would assume, is more of a forest.

Saerain

Augur
Patron
If it is Hammerfell, is it even possible to imagine the extent of wokeness that will ensue? Do any of us mere mortal possess such power?

Whipped Cream

Learned
Patron
If it is Hammerfell, is it even possible to imagine the extent of wokeness that will ensue? Do any of us mere mortal possess such power?

Woke interviwer: "Medieval fantasy settings like Skyrim enfore Eurocentric and patriarchial norms and usually have a striking lack of representation of non-white minorities. Do you feel ashamed that your next game will be perpetuating these harmfull cultural biases?"
Bethesda employee: "Uhh, actually ES VI is set in Hammerfell, which is primarily inspired by real-world Northern Africa. More than half of the characters in the game are black. So I'm not shure what you're talking about."
Woke interviwer: "Oh... but you can you play as a transgender character?"
Bethesda employee: "Uhh, I'm not shure to be honest."
Headline next day: "ELDER SCROLLS VI IS TRANSPHOBIC!"

You can't really win against those types of people, because they base a large part of their personal identity on being white knights that fight injustice. If they can't find injustice, then they create it out of nothingness. I'm not a psychologist, but to me it seams like a lot of it tends to be rooted in personal feelings of insecurity, which they compensate for by believing that they are "morally right" and just and are fighting injustice, which makes them feel like they are worth something.

Last edited:
They still have that space game before this which they've talked about even less.

Starfield. The reveal of this just seemed like: Don't worry guys, this is a thing that's coming.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
There was a tower in Daggerfall. (island-mantia tower) Does not look like the Tower. There is a structure in the E3 2018 trailer. (Maybe a tower) The valenwood project is based on the document. There is also an active tower inside. There is also a mountainous area by the sea. That's why it made sense to me.
Hammerfell, Valenwood or High Rock. It doesn't matter to me. Bethesda should do something. If Starfield hasn't made any rapid progress, we'll wait too long

They might introduce whole new world with some pieces of old one.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
It's going to have 5 skills and 750 perks.

LOL. One thing that i HATE is when games limits the skill usage by no good reason. Example, Two Worlds 1 only allows me to have 3 magic on my bar. Due the lack of cooldowns, stats 100% tied to gear and other modern BS, i still love the game, but this is a huge flaw. Same with Dragon's Dogma.

They should just make the "perks" system like NEO Scavenger, Freedom Force, and Daggerfall have for character creation where you pick a handful of positive and negative perks to build your character at the outset, then just have your skills go up or down in whatever the more or less you use them or study. Want to learn some new move or spell when your skills are high enough? Go somewhere in-game or study it in some book or ancient scroll in some old temple or whatever. It'd be simple, fast, and better than what they've been doing the past few games.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
It can't be worse than Skyrim right

Looking at the last two Fallout games. Sure, Bethesda can always do worse. Don't count Bethesda out.
I'm not sure if it's possible to make a game that's worse than Fallout 76. At least not with worse gameplay, I suppose a game that automatically downloads CP to your computer and notifies the police would technically be "worse".

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They should just make the "perks" system like NEO Scavenger, Freedom Force, and Daggerfall have for character creation where you pick a handful of positive and negative perks to build your character at the outset, then just have your skills go up or down in whatever the more or less you use them or study. Want to learn some new move or spell when your skills are high enough? Go somewhere in-game or study it in some book or ancient scroll in some old temple or whatever. It'd be simple, fast, and better than what they've been doing the past few games.
I didn't play Fallout 4, and the Perks in that game did indeed look terrible (even Charisma perks only related to how efficiently you could kill things), but despite one or two memorable gamebreakers, I recall Skyrim's perk system as being interesting and fun. In general, I think it's neat for character growth to include substantial new abilities over your career. "Another +1% carrying capacity" for levelling up, meh.

And this design philosophy isn't even "not old school". Even early Wizardry games gave higher level characters new powers like multiple attacks, critical hits, and of course game-changing new spells.

ADL

Prophet
Even if there were negative and positive perks involved in character creation, do you really believe Bethesda is willing or even able to design their games about meaningful, non-binary choices?

Funposter

Arcane
It can't be worse than Skyrim right

Looking at the last two Fallout games. Sure, Bethesda can always do worse. Don't count Bethesda out.

I think that's precisely why it won't be worse than Skyrim - it will be equally mediocre. Fallout 4 was less of a financial success than Skyrim, and FO76 was an unmitigated disaster, so I think they're going to play it safe mechanically and probably not change too much from Skyrim.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I think that's precisely why it won't be worse than Skyrim - it will be equally mediocre. Fallout 4 was less of a financial success than Skyrim, and FO76 was an unmitigated disaster, so I think they're going to play it safe mechanically and probably not change too much from Skyrim.

BUGthesda making something that makes sense?

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I didn't play Fallout 4, and the Perks in that game did indeed look terrible (even Charisma perks only related to how efficiently you could kill things), but despite one or two memorable gamebreakers, I recall Skyrim's perk system as being interesting and fun. In general, I think it's neat for character growth to include substantial new abilities over your career. "Another +1% carrying capacity" for levelling up, meh.

I thought the Perks in Fallout 4 were quite fun. Only combat related, sure. But quite impactful and relevant for the build. Strong perks for VATS builds and/or Critical builds for example.
A lot better system then what we recently got in the Outer Worlds for example :(

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom