Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elder Scrolls The Elder Scrolls VI - officially announced but you'll have to wait

Guess the Province/Location

• Hammerfell

• High Rock

• Valenwood

• Elsweyr

• Black Marsh

• Summerset Isle

• Daggerfall

• Akavir (kingcomrade)

Results are only viewable after voting.

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
I thought the Perks in Fallout 4 were quite fun. Only combat related, sure. But quite impactful and relevant for the build. Strong perks for VATS builds and/or Critical builds for example.
From what I remember equipment was a lot more relevant to character progression than perks were (Gross!), incremental percentage increases for damage don't mean shit when you're using a peashooter pipe gun.
Also more of a personal nitpick, but the kindergarten good-boy 5 stars golden sticker layout with the cartoons is just embarrassing, do they truly think so little of their audience?

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Sure, upgrade your equipment, hunt for Legendary Mods TM. But the perks had a large impact on gameplay. Particularly for a Crit/VATS/tinker build. You could never leave VATS mode and have like 4 critical hits banked to be tactically used any time you wanted.

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
You could never leave VATS mode and have like 4 critical hits banked to be tactically used any time you wanted.
I don't like the idea of Critical Hits being restricted to VATS, and if I don't like something then that means it shouldn't exist.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Sure, upgrade your equipment, hunt for Legendary Mods TM. But the perks had a large impact on gameplay. Particularly for a Crit/VATS/tinker build. You could never leave VATS mode and have like 4 critical hits banked to be tactically used any time you wanted.
Being able to stack sweet power-ups and purple gearz for mega leet headshots killing the last boss fighting in .0002 seconds doesn't make an RPG good. Your sales pitch is falling hard.

Last edited:

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I didn't play Fallout 4, and the Perks in that game did indeed look terrible (even Charisma perks only related to how efficiently you could kill things), but despite one or two memorable gamebreakers, I recall Skyrim's perk system as being interesting and fun. In general, I think it's neat for character growth to include substantial new abilities over your career. "Another +1% carrying capacity" for levelling up, meh.

I thought the Perks in Fallout 4 were quite fun. Only combat related, sure. But quite impactful and relevant for the build. Strong perks for VATS builds and/or Critical builds for example.
A lot better system then what we recently got in the Outer Worlds for example :(

Outer Worlds system is closer to the original Fallout, though. And Bethesda since Skyrim treated perks quite differently. They are more like a substitute for missing skills now.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Outer Worlds belongs in the same basket as Skyrim and Fallout 4. In the cesspool of failed creations. Whoever touched any of these with a 9-feet pole should have his mouse finger rot away.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
"Game's not coming out for 5 years, but look at all the details that have already been decided." Very fake and gay.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Even if itz all true, Bethesda cuts all good ideas, parts and features before launch. ALWAYS. They have more than enough time to cut all these things then reimplement and then cut again two months prior to launch. Expect to see these features at cutting room floor and mentioned across their spaghetti code. Todd the Butcher

Bethesda is my ex, and you don't think, jerk or talk about your exes

Chunkyman

Augur
There is a zero percent chance TES VI is going to come out in 2025, as that would imply Bethesda is devoting substantial resources into making the game. That sounds like a joke, but I'm being completely serious. Bethesda has zero passion for their games, and even if hypothetically a 2025 release would be the best possible window for making a quality, polished game, Bethesda will not do that because they want to make a fast dollar now with rehashed Gamebryo shit that they can churn out with the minimal effort required to make it look just pretty enough to justify spending 10 trillion dollars on a marketing campaign.

Fallout 76 showed pretty definitely that they want to be EA, and as long as they keep making money they're not going to diverge from their current path.

Delicieuxz

Cipher
2025. So, 14 years after the previous TES game? That's like Duke Nukem Forever's development cycle. I think the brand will have atrophied quite a bit by then. Most of the fanboys of Skyrim possibly won't even remember the series in another 5 years, and lots will be too busy with careers and families to spend time gaming. Bethesda will be having to market TES to a largely different audience and not be able to effortlessly ride series' reputation. Plus, the games market moves a lot faster now and will probably be moving faster in another 5 years, and Skyrim hasn't been impressive when looked at retrospectively for a long time - which gives little incentive for people to be hyped for the next TES.

I'm not a Bethesda fan and haven't enjoyed a TES since Morrowind, but I hope that's bogus info anyway. I get a few minutes of enjoyment from TES games when their initial videos and screenshots release and I'd rather get those few minutes of enjoyment more frequently than every 14 years. But I suspect that info is bunk.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik

Procedural generation rumors are largely false, that’s not how the company today works.

Both Todd and Ashley are fans of the “hand crafted” method when it comes to game design.

giphy.gif

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
2025. So, 14 years after the previous TES game? That's like Duke Nukem Forever's development cycle. I think the brand will have atrophied quite a bit by then. Most of the fanboys of Skyrim possibly won't even remember the series in another 5 years, and lots will be too busy with careers and families to spend time gaming. Bethesda will be having to market TES to a largely different audience and not be able to effortlessly ride series' reputation. Plus, the games market moves a lot faster now and will probably be moving faster in another 5 years, and Skyrim hasn't been impressive when looked at retrospectively for a long time - which gives little incentive for people to be hyped for the next TES.

If they were just going to pump out another Skyrim/Oblivion it would be out by now. The industry has changed a lot since Skyrim, TES Online is a thing, and Fallout 4 (and all their other studios singleplayer work) has had disappointing sales. I don't think they want to do a Skyrim 2, they want to do something else.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Bethesda's specialty is to take ten times the development cycle to push out bland iterative crap. Why would it surprise you that they'd take another decade to produce Skyrim 2?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Bethesda's specialty is to take ten times the development cycle to push out bland iterative crap. Why would it surprise you that they'd take another decade to produce Skyrim 2?

Skyrim was 3 years after Fallout 3, and Fallout 4 was 4 years after Skyrim. Fallout 76 was made along with a second studio, while the core group supposedly focused on Starfall. So... it has been taking longer than one would expect, by quite a big margin. What that means, who knows... we're all just guessing.

Who the hell is Ashley?

https://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,16291/

One of the many casuals that ended up working on video game industry without any sort of vocational approach. He studied pre-med and english and started working on marketing. He works in Bethesda since Redguard times, but his position grew exponentially with the changes in the "new Bethesda" era. He helped to write Morrowind manual and his contributions in later games were all in the production context. He's a Pete Hines kind of developer, I would say.

Also he has a definitive answer to the eternal What is an rpg? question:

(talking about Morrowind development context) Back then the japanese rpgs were what everyone loved, the Final Fantasies, that was what an rpg was, you know, western rpgs weren't really, you know... [Interviewer] Cool? [Ahsley laughs] You could said that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1091&v=QKn9yiLVlMM&feature=emb_logo

At 18:20

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Codex Year of the Donut
Fallout 4 has had disappointing sales.
https://www.polygon.com/2015/11/10/9705788/fallout-4-steam-concurrent-users-record
Fallout 4 officially launched at midnight, but it's already breaking records. Hitting a peak of 390,000 players a little over an hour ago, it has officially bested Grand Theft Auto 5 as the record holder of most concurrent players on Steam, according to Steam Charts.
Compared to Skyrim? Yes, it did poorly.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018...recise-player-count-for-thousands-of-games/2/
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 13,235,488
Fallout 4 6,601,188
Fallout: New Vegas 5,222,533
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition 4,398,897

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom