Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Errant Signal Thread

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Think about the guilt trip you'd have to live with if you wake up one day and I've choked on a date!

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
So it looks like he's disabled comments for his videos from now on. I wonder if it's because he went full SJW and doesn't want people calling him out on his own channel.

buzz

Arcane
And they're absolutely correct in doing it. The YouTube comment section is a cesspool.

In fact, if they could all move their video content to another website so that this piece of garbage YouTube dies or changes for the better, it would be even greater.

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
And they're absolutely correct in doing it. The YouTube comment section is a cesspool.

In fact, if they could all move their video content to another website so that this piece of garbage YouTube dies or changes for the better, it would be even greater.

The only thing that could come from forcing the audience to reddit, is that it gives the content creator and whoever is moderating the subreddit the power to squash unpopular opinions with shadowbans and exert more control over his audience. If you're actually worried about quality of Youtube comments, then just click your Youtube video twice and now you have a beautiful full screen video free from the unwashed masses.

Last edited:

buzz

Arcane
Actually I just have the comments adblocked :smug:

But honestly, whoever is dumb enough to fit into his "audience" deserves all the shit they get.

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
I realized what irks me about his analysis of almost every game. He wants art (= games) to take a stance, to make commentary and give the audience a clear message. (the right "progressive" one, obviously)

Ursula Le Guin wrote in one of her essays (paraphrasing): "You present the world, the truth, with all its issues and hardships. What you don't do is cheapen it with lazy convenient solutions. Everyone's got a bag of those: We must reject consumer culture, capitalism, or perhaps it's gun culture...Don't preach, don't fall in the trap of trying to become the messiah."

It goes on, but this is the part I remember. Basically, she means that art written like this inevitably becomes propaganda. No matter how well meant, it's not the truth, it's not the real stuff.

I'm sure this guy also means well, but seriously, fuck that noise.

Destroid

Arcane
I realized what irks me about his analysis of almost every game. He wants art (= games) to take a stance, to make commentary and give the audience a clear message. (the right "progressive" one, obviously)

Ursula Le Guin wrote in one of her essays (paraphrasing): "You present the world, the truth, with all its issues and hardships. What you don't do is cheapen it with lazy convenient solutions. Everyone's got a bag of those: We must reject consumer culture, capitalism, or perhaps it's gun culture...Don't preach, don't fall in the trap of trying to become the messiah."

It goes on, but this is the part I remember. Basically, she means that art written like this inevitably becomes propaganda. No matter how well meant, it's not the truth, it's not the real stuff.

I'm sure this guy also means well, but seriously, fuck that noise.

Personally I don't think artists are any more enlightened than anyone else so I'm not terribly excited by what kind of messages their work might contain, political or otherwise.

A horse of course

Personally I don't think artists are any more enlightened than anyone else so I'm not terribly excited by what kind of messages their work might contain, political or otherwise.

The kind of person who commits themselves to polemic is, by definition, someone who considers their audience:

A: Retarded and in need of enlightenment

or

B: An echo chamber that exists for the purpose of reinforcing their ego

BelisariuS.F

Augur
The kind of person who commits themselves to polemic is, by definition, someone who considers their audience:

A: Retarded and in need of enlightenment

or

B: An echo chamber that exists for the purpose of reinforcing their ego

Which category codexers fall into?

Farage

Arcane
Patron
didn't like his gtav review, sounds like an artsy douchebag over analyzing stuff
half way through i was saturated on the :deadhorse: of tiny subliminal messages
never played gtav nor plan to, but seriously, who the fuck cares about that.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Compare that to his GTA4 review, where he actually talks about the gameplay problems that game has. His output has been total shit since he jumped on the SJW bandwagon. (in before Campster was always shit)

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Her essays are fun but her actual books are not nearly as good.

I guess you either didn't read the good ones, or you like your SF and fantasy to be unadulterated trash then...

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Not that I agree with those of you who whine endlessly about the SJW shit, but yes, the GTAV review was pretty bad. I think mostly because he struggled to say something that wasn't already covered by his, fairly brilliant, GTAIV review (his best video? Maybe alongside his Half-Life one?). So in the end this review came out a bit jumbled, with a pretty uninteresting core of "this game doesn't say anything and isn't terribly funny." Which is true, but also kind of banal to spend 18 minutes harping about.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Not that I agree with those of you who whine endlessly about the SJW shit, but yes, the GTAV review was pretty bad. I think mostly because he struggled to say something that wasn't already covered by his, fairly brilliant, GTAIV review (his best video? Maybe alongside his Half-Life one?). So in the end this review came out a bit jumbled, with a pretty uninteresting core of "this game doesn't say anything and isn't terribly funny." Which is true, but also kind of banal to spend 18 minutes harping about.
It seems like most of his videos are very long relative to what he has to say compared to what they used to be.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
It seems like most of his videos are very long relative to what he has to say compared to what they used to be.

In general, it seems like every one of these decent YouTube guys start off strong but get lazy. Pretty much the only consistent dude is SuperBunnyhop. At least that's my personal opinion. He's the only one I've been following with pretty much the same enthusiam since he began making content.

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
The Left Hand of Darkness, just made it past "finish listening to" mark. It was slow most of the time and then there was the ending. Also its yaoi.

Yeah. You might want to stop trying alltogether. Le guin will always be for the happy few. That club doesn't need you, and you obviously have no business belonging to it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
In general, it seems like every one of these decent YouTube guys start off strong but get lazy. Pretty much the only consistent dude is SuperBunnyhop. At least that's my personal opinion. He's the only one I've been following with pretty much the same enthusiam since he began making content.

SBH isn't consistent. He's actually gotten better.

Which makes sense! Seems like lots of these guys just can't put themselves in a place where they can consistently gain experience and improve.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
SBH isn't consistent. He's actually gotten better.

True, true. Some of his early stuff was sort of amateurish. Though I still think his best video bar none is the piece he did on THQ's bankruptcy. That was an excellent bit of research.

Which makes sense! Seems like lots of these guys just can't put themselves in a place where they can consistently gain experience and improve.

I guess. Part of me attributes it to George's education, and the fact that he seems determined to make a life out what he does. I don't know if you know, but he's on a Podcast called TOVG Podcast, and it's horrible. It's 2 or 3 standard YouTube personalities rambling about inane shit and then George. But being on it makes sense if he views it like a career, since That One Video Gamer is a more popular channel.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom