Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Escapist looks at Anachronox and Oblivion

suibhne

Erudite
I'm a big fan of <a href="http://www.escapistmagazine.com/">The Escapist</a>, a weekly online magazine covering "gaming and gamer culture". This week's issue publishes two RPG-related articles, focusing on Bethesda Softworks and Ion Storm's Anachronox.

The <a href="http://www.escapistmagazine.com/issue/83/11">Bethesda article</a> is essentially a puff piece; there's only effusive praise for the company's most recent titles (with a brief mention of fan backlash against the horse armor micromod), accompanied by optimism for Fallout 3. Despite this lack of critical perspective and little focus on questions of game design, the article is still an interesting account of the company's origins and history, including the company's early sports titles and the creation of The Elder Scrolls franchise under Chris Weaver:<blockquote>When Weaver set out to design Arena, the first The Elder Scrolls installment, in 1992, Bethesda had been primarily working the sports game angle: In the six years since Gridiron debuted, six of the 10 games they developed were sports sims, and the other four were adaptations from other media. And throughout the company's life, TES has been their only ongoing in-house, non-sports or original franchise. If Weaver had a baby, Arena was it, and it showed.</blockquote>The article summarizes Weaver's ongoing legal wranglings with Zenimax, which bought (er, bailed out) Bethesda in '99, and the transition to current-day Bethesda under Todd Howard.

The <a href="http://www.escapistmagazine.com/issue/83/4">Anachronox piece</a> also focuses on history - in this case, the historical moment in the gaming industry when hype-heavy powerhouse developer Ion Storm collapsed, pushing Anachronox out the door as its last act. The Escapist offers plenty of perspective from lead Tom Hall on the game's development and post-development:<blockquote>Most of the reviews at the time of Anachronox's release praised the game for its storyline and characters, but reviewers and players docked points for the number of bugs found within the game. Hall says "it wasn't insanely buggy compared to some titles, but it was rushed out the door. Eidos wanted to ship it. If we'd shipped Joey [Liaw]'s final build, it would have been very stable." Bugs alone may not explain Anachronox's commercial failure, however. "I think most people didn't know the game was out. ... I sing the praises of Eidos for sticking with us through all the craziness - they were amazing. But they spent millions on the game, and in the tens of thousands on advertising. I think it could have found a pretty strong audience. But with all the craziness that had gone on, I feel fortunate that people got to experience it at all."</blockquote>Anachronox, Hall makes clear, was one of those genuine labors of love in the industry. Look for a retrospective Codex review in the coming months.

Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.escapistmagazine.com">The Escapist</A>

Kotario

Liturgist
The thing that made me delay for years with Anachronox was the demo they released. It starts in Whitendon, that uninteresting and unfunny segment with Boots after the escape from Rictus' ship. It is an amazingly bad choice to represent the tone of the game.

Hazelnut

Erudite
The Bethesda article is the worst article I've read in the Escapist. It's barely coherent at times, and doesn't seem to have had much research done.

suibhne

Erudite
Hazelnut said:
The Bethesda article is the worst article I've read in the Escapist. It's barely coherent at times, and doesn't seem to have had much research done.

I wasn't critical enough of it, really. It is a puff-piece, through and through; it reads like the writer is Todd Howard's best friend. Heck, you know it has to be great when the title reads "Bethesda: The RIGHT Direction". :lol: (I mean, c'mon - that's not even clever...)

Still, some of Bethesda history was interesting, if rather sparse on details. And the Anachronox article is pretty good.

Hazelnut

Erudite
suibhne said:
I wasn't critical enough of it, really.

Hey, don't sweat it, that's why we can all freely comment on news bits isn't it... :wink:

Seboss

Liturgist
Toddler said:
That's what happens when you're the first to try something," he said. "We certainly took it on the chin for that in the press, but people are still buying that horse armor! I'm talking hundreds of thousands of people. But it was obvious to us that it was too expensive, so I'm happy we adjusted fast and got some better content out at better prices. I think we've found a good balance now. With things like Mehrune's Razor and Knights of the Nine [both downloadable quests], we've found that people really don't mind paying the money, because it's really not a lot of money, they just want something cool, no matter the cost, and well, armoring your horse just ain't that cool.
It's funny how he completely misses the point.

We're headed in the right direction. I want us to be seen as the developers that keep that old school game experience at heart, but keeps pushing it forward, that tries new things. If you see 'Bethesda Game Studios' on the box, you know there are some crazy ideas in there. We won't always get it right, but we'll always keep trying.
What's the the story with a million monkeys bashing on a million typewriters again ?

Section8

Cipher
If you see 'Bethesda Game Studios' on the box, you know there are some ill considered design decisions in there. We won't always get it right, but we'll always keep trying.

Fixed. But really, who needs to get it right when you're already shipping millions of units? It's certainly worked for Bioware. Just keep backslapping yourselves lobster red and telling the gaming media how fucking great you are.

Someone needs to give these monkeys a reason to learn from their mistakes.

Oh and when it comes to "crazy ideas", it would be nice if some of those ideas were crazy from the perspective of the publisher, rather than the customer. Oblivion has never been anything but safe, and the only crazy ideas are the ones that ruffled the feathers of gamers.

suibhne said:
Hazelnut said:

I wasn't critical enough of it, really. It is a puff-piece, through and through; it reads like the writer is Todd Howard's best friend. Heck, you know it has to be great when the title reads "Bethesda: The RIGHT Direction". :lol: (I mean, c'mon - that's not even clever...)

This can be posted into any photoshop thread on the codex, right of the bat. I mean look at it. Its complete with quest-compass, xbox-controller and the whole shebang. I just snorted coffee out my nose when I clicked the link. Reading the article only made me sad.

suibhne

Erudite
What's funny is that the title is lifted directly from a Todd Howard quotation, so it could have been ironic.

It wasn't.

elander_

Arbiter
Weaver is engaged in another suit against the company and declined to comment on the specifics of either suit. Robert Altman remarked after the first case, "Bethesda Softworks was a financially bankrupt business which ZeniMax Media acquired, recapitalized and turned around. I regret that [Weaver] is unhappy."

It won't be the last and only baby that Altman will steal.

But wait this one is brilliant: "Fallout is an open-ended, comedic game set in a post-apocalyptic wasteland."

In addition to extending the franchise he inherited from Weaver, Howard and Bethesda are taking on another franchise, one with more baggage than a five-time divorcee: Fallout.

Originally created by Tim Cain, Leonard Boyarsky and Jason Anderson of Interplay, Fallout is an open-ended, comedic game set in a post-apocalyptic wasteland.

Kraken

Scholar
If I could just get Anarchronox running, I'd be happy to play through it properly this time. Too bad it just isn't possible, always get a debugger error when I try....

denizsi

Arcane
I didn't understand a crap about the article. What was the subject again? Was there even a point? He started from how Weaver started the whole thing and finished it, assuring the readers that F3 will be great.

Also, sad that there is no mention of LeFay and Ted Peterson at all, who really are the people responsible for originating The Elder Scrolls.

By the way, I assume this is an official (F)Allout3 artwork, is that correct? Regardless of its origin, it's lame.

bgR0C3.jpg

bgR1C3.jpg

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
denizsi said:
I didn't understand a crap about the article. What was the subject again? Was there even a point? He started from how Weaver started the whole thing and finished it, assuring the readers that F3 will be great.

Also, sad that there is no mention of LeFay and Ted Peterson at all, who really are the people responsible for originating The Elder Scrolls.

By the way, I assume this is an official (F)Allout3 artwork, is that correct? Regardless of its origin, it's lame.

bgR0C3.jpg

bgR1C3.jpg

I thinks its from Brotherhood of Shit.
Figures they chose artwork from this monstrosity to illustrate an article on Fallout 3.

Zomg

Arbiter
Jeez, it's nice to see that a little successful marketing makes people in the Penny Arcade strata of "criticism" feel warranted to act as abject sycophants.

Mr. Teatime

Liturgist
Anachronox is the best console RPG ever made, it's also exclusive to PC, heh.

elander_

Arbiter
denizsi said:

Weaver was obviously a very influential person and the guy who inspired and financed from his own pockets the all thing before Morrowind.

The influence of the publisher is determinant in the outcome of a game. The publisher may grant enough freedom to the developer to create something truly great or he may drag the team into following marketing ideals based on statistics that can be misinterpreted or manipulated and everyone will follow it blindly like if it was something sacred.

The people who designed the first two games in detail have more to say in this old interview about their design choices:
http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/inde ... pic=139105

Altman was a nobody of a lawyer who obtained the control of his company with dubious legal maneuvers. That's life.

HardCode

Erudite
Toddler said:
We're headed in the right direction - to the bank. I want us to be seen as the developers that keep that old school game experience at a minimum, but keeps pushing graphics forward, that tries stupid things. If you see 'Bethesda Game Studios' on the box, you know there are some horrible ideas in there. We never get it right, but we'll always keep trying to take your money.

FIXED!!!

Krafter

Scholar
Mr. Teatime said:
Anachronox is the best console RPG ever made, it's also exclusive to PC, heh.
He he, nice. :D

Anachronox rules the Earth with an iron fist. The fact that there is not an Anachronox 2 (especially considering the way it ends!) is an unforgivable crime against humanity. I kill kittens, puppies and orphans daily in hope that the Old ones will hear my prayer.

OccupatedVoid

Arbiter
[geminito]Your opinions are not surprising. You should stop obsessing about Oblivion because you don't like it. No one in the games industry cares.[/geminito]

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom