Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate The Ethics of Baldur's Gate 2 Romances

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

laclongquan

Arcane
To be fair, both Viconia and Jaheira have a history with the protagonist prior to BG2, it just isn't fleshed out as thoroughly as some of us would like. Then again, BG1 is a minimalistic game to begin with.

Viconia is no problem if you like experienced cougar, I am just saying. Being a little piece of fresh meat to be devoured by her is certainly a kink.

Jaheira, however, is over the line. The most important thing is that her husband was dead just very recently. Based on game timer, you could complete her romance from 1 months to one year around that date. This either say something about Jaheira, or something about elf culture, or Harper's habit, or etc MORE THAN it say something about male MC.

Which is why I have a beef with BG2 romance writer team.

Cael

Arcane
To be fair, both Viconia and Jaheira have a history with the protagonist prior to BG2, it just isn't fleshed out as thoroughly as some of us would like. Then again, BG1 is a minimalistic game to begin with.

Viconia is no problem if you like experienced cougar, I am just saying. Being a little piece of fresh meat to be devoured by her is certainly a kink.

Jaheira, however, is over the line. The most important thing is that her husband was dead just very recently. Based on game timer, you could complete her romance from 1 months to one year around that date. This either say something about Jaheira, or something about elf culture, or Harper's habit, or etc MORE THAN it say something about male MC.

Which is why I have a beef with BG2 romance writer team.
That trigger was a bug, I think. It was supposed to be ingame time that was translated to real life time. Which meant that the Jaheira romance was basically bugged to never conclude unless you are willing to leave the game on for months at a time.

laclongquan

Arcane
It's not about coding, it's about story logic.

MC is gathering large amount of money to search for Imoen. By logic the party would exploit their resource wherever they can. They would approach Harper's hold in the Docks sooner than later, thus push Jaheira's quest forward in pretty quick time. either by trying to find illegal high paying jobs from the thieves guild, or cowled wizard's job of hunting for valygar.

After that fiasco at the Harper's Hold, events would unfold. 1month is reasonable if party visit the Docks 1st thing in chapter 2. 1 year is understandable if they play around with outer areas and basically just ignore Xzar quest. Understandably as that peacock mage is noone that can make people doing him a favor .

Aaaaaanyway, that means MC try to get into a widow's panties while the dead corpse of her husband is still warm. Or to be proper about it: a widow open her legs while her husband's dead corpse is still warm.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
You forget that the weird shit started when she refused getting him resurrected simply because his dick was cut off or mutilated (which can be healed).

That's not exactly a stable woman.

laclongquan

Arcane
You forget that the weird shit started when she refused getting him resurrected simply because his dick was cut off or mutilated (which can be healed).

That's not exactly a stable woman.

Not exactly~ It's a game for general all age gamers so that detail would be gloss over.

But think about it:

Ironicus is trying to find the power deep in the souls of bhaalspawns.
he torture and draw power out of Imoen after all.
So the strongest, our MC bhaalspawn survive with no visible hurt
our other bhaalspawn was affected visibly, and having her power pull out of her soul.
What's going to happen to a normal human fighter not having any divine power?
Dead?
Soul suck out?
Impossible to revive?
You guess

Theldaran

Liturgist
Well, you know, under D&D rules resurrection has its limitations. Your body may be too damaged to be raised. Also IIRC you had to pass a Constitution-related check or you didn't make it. So, having Khalid beyond resurrection isn't so strange. You could also argue that at that point the characters lack enough power to do it. The 7th level Resurrection spell for Clerics becomes available much later... besides, there was no Cleric character in Irenicus' dungeon, just Jaheira who is a Druid.

Taking Khalid's corpse out of the dungeon seems difficult. Anyway, Jaheira's wish is that he attains eternal rest, which isn't a bad end either. Possibly Khalid is living the high (after-) life in some Good-aligned plane while the characters battle their way through the game. If Khalid was an evil man, his fate could be different, but he's a goodie-two-shoes anyway.

It can go either way, you may argue that he can be resurrected or that he can't, the writers chose can't.

By the way, Jaheira hooking with the protagonist isn't that strange, after all the things they've been through, he seems a natural substitute for Khalid. They were all friends, supposedly. In that regard Jaheira seems like that kind of girl who needs to have a partner at all times, like my ex who dropped me but supposedly had another man at the ready (come on, show me those "cuck" ratings). That kind of girls DO exist.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
That really isn't the problem with Jaheira, though, lol. It is indeed strange that she'll jump on your dick as soon as possible after her husband died. She's also your kind of aunt, she was a friend of Gorion's, which makes it even weirder.

Cael

Arcane
Well, you know, under D&D rules resurrection has its limitations. Your body may be too damaged to be raised. Also IIRC you had to pass a Constitution-related check or you didn't make it. So, having Khalid beyond resurrection isn't so strange. You could also argue that at that point the characters lack enough power to do it. The 7th level Resurrection spell for Clerics becomes available much later... besides, there was no Cleric character in Irenicus' dungeon, just Jaheira who is a Druid.

Taking Khalid's corpse out of the dungeon seems difficult. Anyway, Jaheira's wish is that he attains eternal rest, which isn't a bad end either. Possibly Khalid is living the high (after-) life in some Good-aligned plane while the characters battle their way through the game. If Khalid was an evil man, his fate could be different, but he's a goodie-two-shoes anyway.

It can go either way, you may argue that he can be resurrected or that he can't, the writers chose can't.

By the way, Jaheira hooking with the protagonist isn't that strange, after all the things they've been through, he seems a natural substitute for Khalid. They were all friends, supposedly. In that regard Jaheira seems like that kind of girl who needs to have a partner at all times, like my ex who dropped me but supposedly had another man at the ready (come on, show me those "cuck" ratings). That kind of girls DO exist.
You can't resurrect if the soul can't be contacted, which can happen in any number of ways, including having the soul destroyed or eaten (that was why the soul eater curse was such a bad thing in MotB, incidentally). Time is also a factor in resurrection, and there is no telling how long it has been, although a few bits and pieces seems to indicate that you were imprisoned for quite some time, maybe long enough to pass the time limit. There is no True Resurrection in BG, which is a 3.x spell that lifts a lot of the restrictions.

Theldaran

Liturgist
That really isn't the problem with Jaheira, though, lol. It is indeed strange that she'll jump on your dick as soon as possible after her husband died. She's also your kind of aunt, she was a friend of Gorion's, which makes it even weirder.

Closeness facilitates romance. I don't find it that strange that Jaheira falls in love with a hero such as Gorion's Ward, a hero greater than Khalid even. GW represents everything Jaheira fights for. And he can be hot and charismatic, too, why not? Of course, this wouldn't be the case if you were playing an Evil bastard, but then you should just cut off the romance at the first chance and get Jaheira off from the party too.

I don't know the details of her romance because I've never completed it, but it seems you have to work your way really hard into her pants. So it isn't quite "jumping on your dick as soon as possible". She starts the romance right after meeting Gaelen, so at the very start, but at first she is quite distant.

Note that Jaheira has race restrictions for her romance (at least originally) so she isn't getting off her high horse just for you. You need to really seduce her and if you're a "disgusting", say, gnome, she won't even look at you.

pomenitul

Arbiter

I thought you were into kinky shit? Weirder things have happened, especially out in the country. And in the druidic community.

Cael

Arcane

I thought you were into kinky shit? Weirder things have happened, especially out in the country. And in the druidic community.
Druids can shapechange into animals. Enough said...

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected

Yeah, you really get big Oedipuxcomplex-vibes from this.

I don't know the details of her romance because I've never completed it, but it seems you have to work your way really hard into her pants. So it isn't quite "jumping on your dick as soon as possible". She starts the romance right after meeting Gaelen, so at the very start, but at first she is quite distant.

It's been a while, but in my versions she started flirting with me after leaving Irenicus Dungeon. And it was never hard. She acted like that, but over all it isn't a matter of how, but when. Viconia is way harder, because that woman never knows what she wants.

Theldaran

Liturgist

Druids can shapechange into animals. Enough said...

Really nice fursuit :3

Harry Easter: At first Jaheira doesn't talk about romantic stuff, just the adventure before the party, leadership, and that shit. But yeah, you may argue that she is lonely and starts flirting right away. That's consistent with what I said about her needing a man at all times. After all those years married, she just needs the intake lol.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
It's been a while, but in my versions she started flirting with me after leaving Irenicus Dungeon. And it was never hard. She acted like that, but over all it isn't a matter of how, but when. Viconia is way harder, because that woman never knows what she wants.

Smae here, Jaheria jumps on you as soon as you leave İrenicus's dungeon or that bazaar map.

Lacrymas

Arcane
If they acknowledge that it's kinda weird but don't give a shit, sure. It's played straightforwardly, however, and the implications are strange. I kind of don't consider basically incest as a kink, though, and I also don't find preying on grieving women sexy, but I might just be weird like that. It's kind of too much with Jaheira, to the point of realizing the writers didn't think of the context when deciding she should be a romance option. At the end of the day, ok, if she's over Khalid and they love each other, great, more power to them.

Theldaran

Liturgist
If they acknowledge that it's kinda weird but don't give a shit, sure. It's played straightforwardly, however, and the implications are strange. I kind of don't consider basically incest as a kink, though, and I also don't find preying on grieving women sexy, but I might just be weird like that. It's kind of too much with Jaheira, to the point of realizing the writers didn't think of the context when deciding she should be a romance option. At the end of the day, ok, if she's over Khalid and they love each other, great, more power to them.

B-but... incest is wrong.

Cael

Arcane

You will be able to sell incest hard in islamic countries since technically, ole mo's last wife was not only 6 at the time of their marriage, but was the daughter of his brother...

Lacrymas

Arcane

Whether it's wrong or not is besides the point and a different conversation entirely, if they are comfortable with that, I don't care. It's also technically not incest, it's kind of like sleeping with your adopted mother/sister.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom