Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Evil Within 2

Ezekiel

Arcane
Playing it now. Pretty disappointed that they changed the actors for Sebastian and Kidman. The new Sebastian doesn't even sound as good. Maybe it had to do with the voice actors strike. I would have just preferred new characters if they were gonna do this. I was already disappointed that they changed his face.

Edit: Oh, it's probably because they were Hollywood voice actors and the first game didn't make enough money to bring them back. Exited after first save point. Not in the mood right now.

Last edited:

SumDrunkGuy

I'm currently in chapter 3. The basic enemies are extremely easy to cheese. I killed like 6 of them without wasting a single bullet and losing any health.

Hines

Savant
Steamspy reports ~25k sales after first day of launch. That's way worse than what even Prey or Dishonored: DOTO got. Lol.
It's extremely unlikely that The Evil Within 2 bombed worse than Prey. For accurate numbers, Steamspy needs at least three full days of sales data, and since the game released a little early in Aus/NZ, it would be safe to wait until three days from it's U.S. debut. This disappointing sequel was the second highest viewed game on Twitch, which only that proves horror fans will watch any ole' shit.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
I've playing it one hour or so, overall positive feelings about it. The open-world zones are not in the stricly meaning of the term but lees linear, more opened areas. The side-quests looks as relationated with the main story, and with obtaining more resources to survive. Looks like how the system worked in Silent hill: Downpour. Doesn't look as filled with revolutionary changes, it's more of the same. Which will be good or bad, depending of your thoughts about the original game.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
ScientificAppropriateDuckbillcat-max-14mb.gif

:gumpyhead:

Adon

Arcane
So far my impressions is more on the :decline: side than anything. I've only played for a few hours, but the game seems far more stealth oriented (altho to be fair, TEW1 starts out the same way) than its predecessor, more crafting nonsense than necessary, worse voice acting, visually it's dull, and in general looks too clean. The character models themselves look okay, but so much of the grit and eclectic visuals of the original seem to be gone from this game. The "open world" section I've done got old really fast, and most of what you'll find is just more ammo and crafting resources. About 10% of what you'll find is Union citizens in their last moments before death. Nothing interesting so far.

Absence of matches is pure :decline: tho

Ash

Arcane
I wonder, is it actually challenging? Of course the game journo review describes nothing of the sort despite challenge being so integral to horror games.

And what a surprise, yet another game shoehorning in weak and meaningless RPG upgrades. Everything is shit and everything plays almost identical these days. All just an identical pile of shit.

Last edited:

flyingjohn

Arcane
I wonder, is it actually challenging? Of course the game journo review describes nothing of the sort despite challenge being so integral to horror games.

And what a surprise, yet another game shoehorning in weak and meaningless RPG upgrades. Everything is shit and everything plays almost identical these days. All just an identical pile of shit.
Nope,stealth makes it trivial and unless you are deliberately shooting enemies in the torso you can easily get head shots.

As for the upgrade systems,well this is just a natural evolution of resident evil 4.The director of resi 4 was the same director for evil within games.
Resi 4 already had the upgrade system and you can just replace money with crafting resources.
Not saying the "rpg" elements being in every game is not boring,but here it makes sense.

Ash

Arcane
Resi 4's upgrade system was p. decent though, and purely weapon-centric. Linear basic skill tress of "+10% health" is not, and I wouldn't say a natural evolution either.

Machocruz

Arcane
Stealth is supposed to be low risk. Trying fighting enemies openly in Thief 2.
Yea you right. I meant it looked like there is little chance to get caught out or otherwise fail. Like the monsters aren't very alert, you can never whiff a sneak attack, they are almost always positioned conveniently or have too simple patrol routes, things like that.

Last edited:
Resi 4's upgrade system was p. decent though, and purely weapon-centric.

Yep, you could only upgrade weapons with money and health with yellow herbs. Every weapon when maxed out offered a unique upgrade. The fact that you could only get back half the money when selling upgraded weapons meant you had to first decide on the weapon you wanted to keep before upgrading it, as there was certainly not enough money in one playthrough to upgrade all of them. Choose one weapon you want to stick with for each ammo type. It's a decent and satisfying upgrade system.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Absence of matches is pure :decline: tho

I heard you can unlock them by beating the gaem. :dance:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm surprised, this game has a better dialog system than the last Bethesda action RPGs.

PD: Improve the Mauser C96 in RE4, and you'll not need any weapon to beat the game besides that.

Resi 4's upgrade system was p. decent though, and purely weapon-centric.

Yep, you could only upgrade weapons with money and health with yellow herbs. Every weapon when maxed out offered a unique upgrade. The fact that you could only get back half the money when selling upgraded weapons meant you had to first decide on the weapon you wanted to keep before upgrading it, as there was certainly not enough money in one playthrough to upgrade all of them. Choose one weapon you want to stick with for each ammo type. It's a decent and satisfying upgrade system.

RE4 was pretty bad about this though. There was clearly one better weapon for every weapon group and it was usually the last one found. The base stats of the weapon were highly imbalanced in favor of later-found weapons and the uniques only magnified the discrepancy, so all RE4 did was reward metagaming knowledge. There was certainly enough money to upgrade one of each type of gun throughout the whole game, and due to the exponential growth of upgrades if you sold e.g. shotgun 1 after a few upgrades to buy shotgun 2 as soon as it appeared, you'd lose almost nothing since those first upgrades were so much cheaper than later ones.

Stealth is supposed to be low risk. Trying fighting enemies openly in Thief 2.
Yea you right. I meant it looked like there is little chance to get caught out or otherwise fail. Like the monsters aren't very alert, you can never whiff a sneak attack, they are almost always positioned conveniently or have too simple patrol routes, things like that.

TEW1 added extra enemies on higher difficulties and changed up all the patrol routes. It wasn't too hardcore but also not trivial.

Momock

Augur
RE4 was pretty bad about this though. There was clearly one better weapon for every weapon group and it was usually the last one found.
False! It's what I thought during my first runs, but one day I decided to stick with the "vintage" weapons from the beginning... and they are way more powerfull than the modern ones IF you unlocked the last special upgrade (but with either less shots per second or smaller magazines. They're better for pros because they're harder to use but do more damage if you know how, while the modern ones are better for novices).

RE4 was pretty bad about this though. There was clearly one better weapon for every weapon group and it was usually the last one found.
False! It's what I thought during my first runs, but one day I decided to stick with the "vintage" weapons from the beginning... and they are way more powerfull than the modern ones IF you unlocked the last special upgrade (but with either less shots per second or smaller magazines. They're better for pros because they're harder to use but do more damage if you know how, while the modern ones are better for novices).

lol, no.

Red9 vs. any other hand gun = Red9 way better.
Striker Shotgun vs. any other Shotgun = Striker way better.
Semi Auto Rifle vs. Bolt Action Rifle = SA is better in every way until the BA gets the exclusive which gets it to about 2x the damage. Problem is that the BA gets it's exclusive so late that by the end game you don't care about damage per bullet when enemies are swarming you anyway and both rifles are 1-shot kills to normals, while bosses are executed with the magnum.

For Magnums I can't remember which one is bought first, but the stronger one is found for free and there's an argument for using both anyway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom