Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Evil Within 2

PrettyDeadman

The game seems a lot harder than original in the beginning.
Can't aim at enemies heads at all (they move too much) and they require several headshots to take down. And I've just finished the original so it's not like I am out of practice.
Those pale ladies with knivea are spooky.

Shinji

Savant
What was behind the decision to have John Johanas step in and direct it, rather than yourself?

Shinji Mikami: I want Tango Gameworks to be a studio where young and talented creators are given a chance to succeed. John has a lot of talent. An opportunity like this would have come his way sooner or later.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2017/0...2-shinji-mikami-talks-his-input-on-the-sequel

I could be wrong, but it seems to me this was a Bethesda/Zenimax decision to have an english-speaker leading the project, just so they could make him their little bitch have more input on the design.

Deflowerer

Arcane
Nah, I think the choice could've been very valid. Given that he mentored Kamiya etc, I think he understands very well that he needs to let more junior people get experience directing pieces. If the lead art director wasn't a woman, I think she would've gotten the job though.

Also, so far so good. I'm still in the beginning, but it's pretty hard on Nightmare. Can't just go in guns blazing, have to be careful. Stealth is pretty good since there's no shitty detective vision and paying attention to surroundings pays off. I don't mind crafting since the stuff is hard to come by anyway. My main beef with crafting generally is when it occurs in games where there's a fully functioning economy and merchants around. Here, it's fine.

I've given up on anything as hardcore as the original Siren ever coming out in the genre anyway, so I think Evil Within 2 is very enjoyable.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Mikami always has been a very weird game director. He directed the first Resident evil but then he did nothing relationated with the franchise until Remake, Zero and 4. Don't know if he is lazy as fuck, or he just have a very good eye for choosing the adecuate people to suply his the charge of game director (Or a thrd option: He's very easy to manipulate. Thing that I doubt due of his ease to take risky decisions while designing games.). Anyway, I like his love for Spain. He came twice to this country in search of inspiration for his games. Took a lot of information about castles for the original RE4 game (RE 3.5), which were discarded and then used in the first Devil may cry. RE4 maintain his location of Spain though, but while details like the National police emblem were nice the rest was very random. And the spanish talked by the villagers is actually latinamerican speech.

latest

POLICIA.JPG

He said in an interview that The evil within was originally set in Spain, but changed the location for some reason. Some things like the protagonist, Sebastián castellanos, remained with their original names though.

Red9 vs. any other hand gun = Red9 way better.

True it's most efficient with damage per ammo, but starting pistol upgraded with critical hit can also be pretty good.

Striker Shotgun vs. any other Shotgun = Striker way better.

Probably, that insane clip size plus widest spread, but I always ended up taking starting shotgun after first run anyway. I like the range upgrade and the fact that you can start upgrading it early game.

All weapons are perfectly viable in that game on Pro difficulty from my experience.

Red9 vs. any other hand gun = Red9 way better.

True it's most efficient with damage per ammo, but starting pistol upgraded with critical hit can also be pretty good.

IIRC Crit is a pure % chance for +% damage, and statistically Red9 is just always ahead. Eventually normies can't actually be killed by a single crit from a regular pistol while the Red9 can still take heads off with one shot.

All weapons are perfectly viable in that game on Pro difficulty from my experience.

Sure, but if the point is to make a bunch of vaguely equally-useful options with their own special abilities, RE4 failed hard there. Which is why I don't particularly care about the fact that TEW1 didn't have 4 different kinds of pistols.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I don't see much the point of this game, it isn't a straight action shooter like RE 4 was but it isn't a survival horror game like Silent Hill 2, it is alot slower and the emphasis on stealth only makes it even slower but it isn't harder for it. I've seen some guy playing the starting hours and it is a fucking LONG time before you escape a really long "scary" walking simulator bit and reach the town. When you get to the town, you spend most of your time crouched as you don't want to waste ammo on the enemies and the sneak attack is instant kill on the lower zombies what makes the combat even more pointless.

The stealth is very basic, the ole, you crouch and you are a silent ninja, this game reminds me of Silent Hill Downpour, that already had this problem of watered down survival game with an "open " world for "exploration". I prefered they had gone the RE 4 route or the Silent Hill 2 rout, this looks like a watered down survival game that isn't even that great as a shooting game, I really don't see the point, not even as a storyfag game this is worthy it as the really cringe opening scene really killed any hope for a decent story on me.

Another thing, why to start the game and say right away to the player that everything he will see is only happening on a digital city that only exist on a simulator? This is a big mistake as deflates tension right away, the fun of those psychological horror games is exactly to blend the protagonist real world with his nightmares so he can't know the difference between one and another.

PrettyDeadman

I am enjoying my time with game so far. Really nice exploration. Spooky moments during sidequests.
One moment in car repair shop reminded me about the ending of R.E.C. A creepy woman walks out in darkness holding a knive. brrrr.
Really like photographer maniac. He is very stylish and romantic. Reminds me about artist trapped in painting from Death Bed: The Bed That Eats (1977). Both Death Bed and Evil Withing seperated into different chapters btw which is a sign of artistic effort.

Hines

Savant
More like failure for gaming.
Evil Withing, Dishonored, Prey - failed.
Fallout 4, PUBG, GTA5 microtransaction scam - massive success.
Maybe a good strategy for a publisher would be letting the public know about upcoming titles they've invested millions of dollars on with some decent marketing? 100% of people who don't know about your game won't buy it.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
I am enjoying my time with game so far. Really nice exploration. Spooky moments during sidequests.
One moment in car repair shop reminded me about the ending of R.E.C. A creepy woman walks out in darkness holding a knive. brrrr.
Really like photographer maniac. He is very stylish and romantic. Reminds me about artist trapped in painting from Death Bed: The Bed That Eats (1977). Both Death Bed and Evil Withing seperated into different chapters btw which is a sign of artistic effort.

Good to hear. I enjoyed EW1, so I suspect I will enjoy 2, too.

I might buy it cheap, then.

PrettyDeadman

Buy full price, support the developer!

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy

Buy full price, support the developer!

Nigga I never buy full price, I didn't get rich by spending money, nigga.

Besides, the dev probably gets full price, and a 2nd part distributor sells it at a lower price.

Ash

Arcane
False! It's what I thought during my first runs, but one day I decided to stick with the "vintage" weapons from the beginning... and they are way more powerfull than the modern ones IF you unlocked the last special upgrade (but with either less shots per second or smaller magazines. They're better for pros because they're harder to use but do more damage if you know how, while the modern ones are better for novices).

^Exactly this. Except in the case of the pistols. Red 8 & Blacktail are just plain superior to the other two. The Punisher penetration is nice, but often not applicable especially on bosses. The default pistol headshot bonus is better than the latter, yet just has nothing on the two superior pistols which have much higher base damage and/or fire speed, clip size etc. It's not all bad though, if you do take either of the two less useful pistols they're still fun to toy around with.
Honestly the secret Matilda pistol is probably the worst one. I don't recall exactly, either it was too OP and ruined the fun, or it resulted in a lot of ammo wastage, maybe both.

Deflowerer

Arcane
So is this "good" popamole, like Dead Space 1, Arkham games, Saints Row 2? I'm tired of indie for a while.

Better than any of the aforementioned games imo.

Exploration is actually really nice, but yeah, it's geared more towards stealth, at least on Nightmare where you can get killed in a matter of seconds. I don't mind though, since there's no detective vision nor minimap, so paying attention to surroundings and audio cues actually matters.

Sad if this tanks. Seems many people didn't even know the game came out, lol.

Last edited:

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron
So sad this game seems to be tanking, I actually played through it and it was a pretty decent game. More fun than the original imo.

PrettyDeadman

So is this "good" popamole, like Dead Space 1, Arkham games, Saints Row 2? I'm tired of indie for a while.
It's actually developed by glorious nippon developers, not some degenerate western studio, so 'popomole' isn't something which can be applied here.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I mean to be fair, in many ways I am not too surprised disappointed that a game built on the steaming pile of shit that is the IDTech5 code base fails, that engine was and has been awfully optimised and it's no surprise customers turn away from it because of its technical issues. Prey failing was the true kick in the guts.

Also the games failed because there was no marketing budget for any of these titles, no PR at all. That's on ZeniMax suddenly deciding that giving a marketing push to its games is worthless, there was barely any pre-release content to EW2, barely any attempt to sell it to the proles with youtube videos, and then suddenly people are surprised when the game tanks.

Modron

Arcane
It's actually developed by glorious nippon developers, not some degenerate western studio, so 'popomole' isn't something which can be applied here.
What is this meme shit, the Japanese invented :popamole: http://www.mobygames.com/game/killswitch
edit: forgot about namco's even earlier on rail arcade cover shooter series http://www.mobygames.com/game/time-crisis

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom