Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Evil Within 2

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I was bored and decided to give the game a fair try. Now i am in chapter 6,and the game is not bad when there is a game. I played it for around 8-10 hours with exploring and backtracing. To be honest from the end of 3 chapter till now is a total slog. For the past few hours i have killed no more than 5 standard enemies fought two bosses and stealthed /run away from a cum monster. In say two,two and a half hours i have spend actually playing no more than 10 minutes. It is constant walking from one horror room to another. It really feels like the game doesn't respect your time. Also the whole thing is a mishmash of random horror ideas tossed in bucket. The writing and the acting are cringy and cliche. i hope the game becomes more opened like in the third chapter,i am tired of walking pointlessly and watching "horror" rooms. The game most certainly not worth the money,i can't even recommend pirating it unless you don't have anything else to play. It is a time waster game.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Like I said; the stealth system is rudimentary and very easy to exploit. Enemies take an incredibly long time to detect you, and even if you're spotted you can lose any pursuer simply by rounding a corner and getting back behind cover. Once you unlock the ability that allows you to do your instakill stealth takedown while in cover, the whole thing just falls apart entirely since you now you just have to lure enemies to you for a guaranteed kill.

Deflowerer

Arcane
Like I said; the stealth system is rudimentary and very easy to exploit. Enemies take an incredibly long time to detect you, and even if you're spotted you can lose any pursuer simply by rounding a corner and getting back behind cover. Once you unlock the ability that allows you to do your instakill stealth takedown while in cover, the whole thing just falls apart entirely since you now you just have to lure enemies to you for a guaranteed kill.

I think it worked initially because with no stealth skills to back you up, you were still prone to errors, although yes, feasibly you could always run away somewhere and hide. The moment to moment feeling of being somewhat vulnerable was there. Once you do get the cover stealth kill though, it's fucked up indeed because you can run into the arms of an enemy, turn around and get to the nearest cover so you can pop him from there as he runs towards you.

Also, I think completely static patrol routes in stealth games, especially in stealth-centric horror games should go. There's should be a chance that the fuckers deviate from their initial patrol plan. I think that would help a bit with it getting too safe, especially when it's already stacked in your favour anyway.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Just finished the game,killed the cum monster. Curious if the cum monster is an allegory for women being whores that want to suck dicks. The game was ok,it have a lot waste time in it,you can cut a third of the game and it will be far more enjoyable. The worst thing is that it lacked direction and focus. Also i have never seen that many cliches in a single game my whole life.

Deflowerer

Arcane
Finally finished it. It was...alright. Easy as fuck compared to Evil Within 1, at least once you figured out the AI are dumb as bricks.

Everything after Stefano was pretty disappointing. I think they nailed some of the Eurohorror atmosphere with him, but his departure led to some pretty lame shit both environment and boss wise.

The whole plot is pretty disappointing as well after the events of the first game. It just feels like a very hamfisted attempt at making the story more personal, but it just falls flat.

Still, given that there aren't really many horror game options these days that aren't indie FPS trash, it's good for what it is. Far from the genre classics (Silent Hill, Resident Evil, Fatal Frame, Siren, etc) and even its predecessor, but still enjoyable. I played on Nightmare but I think the best way to play it would be on Normal and go all guns blazing all the time: it'd be actually more challenging.

ultimanecat

Arcane
I’ve been playing through this the last few nights, clearing out my backlog of horror related games (or uninstalling the ones that are clearly garbage) for Halloween. I have the original as well but I’m not sure I’m as interested in playing through it.

On Nightmare for a first playthrough and focusing on stealth - it’s indeed pretty easy but then again there are several bosses and near-mandatory enemy encounters that are giant resource sinks, and even with ammo bag upgrades you can’t really stockpile. So all in all I’m having a good, sorta tense time. I’m roughly 1/3 through which I hear is when the game becomes more of a linear slog, but that uninstall button is always an option if it wears out its welcome.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
The game is getting better and more interesting once you get to Stefano. Last 2/3s of the game is the best.
It's worth it overall but first game has better in story.

YldriE

Learned
I have the original as well but I’m not sure I’m as interested in playing through it.
The first one is different enough from the second that you should rethink that. Same continuity of course, same core gameplay, but the second is semi-open with exploration and resource-gathering, while the first is strictly plot-oriented.

Unusual for a "linear vs exploration", the first one is also much longer to the point the second one feels like a sort of big DLC to wrap up the story. In all honesty, the first game did give me serious ending fatigue after a while, but it never felt like bloat or padding; it was always more interesting encounters, new locations and plot reveals, along with different playable characters and points of view.

Resident Evil 4 is a holy name in action horror, namedropping it is a bit lame, but I'm adamant that The Evil Within 1 compares very honorably to it.

Can you even understand what the hell is going on with the story in second one without playing first? From what I recall a pretty significant part of second game's story was actually about explaining what happened in first one. But maybe I'm wrong. Anyway, I enjoyed both parts. They're not great but solid for someone who enjoys cheesy over the top horror gore fests.

I think the main divide in gameplay between RE4 and TEW is whether you enjoy the possibility to utilize stealth mechanics and sneak kills. I do. Clearing out 2/3rds of the game through pure stealth is pretty neat, though it does negate a lot of the intended survival mechanics when you save so many resources doing it. TEW2 was simply way too easy though.

Can you even understand what the hell is going on with the story in second one without playing first? From what I recall a pretty significant part of second game's story was actually about explaining what happened in first one. But maybe I'm wrong. Anyway, I enjoyed both parts. They're not great but solid for someone who enjoys cheesy over the top horror gore fests.

The 2nd has basically nothing to do with the 1st. I don't even think its mentioned that Sebastian has a daughter in the 1st. And the plots in both games are thoroughly nonsensical to begin with.

ultimanecat

Arcane
I actually followed The Evil Within before it came out because it was described as Shinji Mikami’s real follow-up to RE4, but I never bought a console this generation and upgraded my computer well after it came out and had heard how it was kind of a drag. I’ve watched videos of it on YouTube and I’m not sure it’s take on survival horror is something I’d be willing to play for 15-20 hours, but I may still.

As for the plot, I know how TEW starts and the general idea behind it, but honestly I’m not very invested in the sequel for plot reasons at this point. Seems incredible that random survivor of whatever happened in part one would also happen to have a daughter who’s actually a perfect host for what they’re doing in this one, but obviously I’m sure I’m missing something.

ultimanecat

Arcane
So I beat this on Nightmare - I liked it but it suffers from the typical RPG-lite problem that upgrades outpace the difficulty curve such that you’re playing a fundamentally easier game at the end than in your first few hours. Well over 90% of my kills were stealth kills, including maybe four of those spongey flamethrower dudes that take 5 backstabs each, the enemy AI in general is extremely exploitable so I guess it’s a bit my fault for exploiting it. Related, it’s also buggy and hard crashed a few times, enemies got stuck in their pathing, and the game straight up refused to apply the last shotgun ammo upgrade I could get. All that being said, it scratched an itch. Now on to the next game on the old horror backlog.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
yeah been playing it. pretty good atmosphere and some cool enemy design. i find stefano's art pretty gorgeous. he's great if it wasn't for the murdering real people.

the complains are definitely accurate. enemies are retarded, the upgrades are kinda stupid and lessen the horror game of it.

Terenty

Liturgist
Such a shitty game compared to the first one. Low budget, boring cheap environments, awful gun fight, awful stealth, awful plot etc. Just all around soulless sequel. Shinji Mikami shouldnt have given the reigns to whoever that guy was

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
man what a mediocre game. 1 was a bad game but it have good idea and nice setpieces. this one was praised heavily improving upon the first.

2 is a better game but it isn't really ambitious and the big map really hurt it imo.

i also detest upgrading/EXP system in horror game. it reduce the scare factor when you're a fucking fully superhuman demigod capable of mowing everything.

the real scary part in TEW is the sidequest with the ghost lady that sings. but then the AI is idiot so it made it less scary too. this is actually one of my few regret purchase this year. i shoul dhave picked RE2make (which is newer AND damn cheaper. fuck bethesda regional pricing).

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Shinji Mikami shouldnt have given the reigns to whoever that guy was

From what I understand Mikami didn't like the direction of the first game's DLC either and that was Johanas before he got promoted to game director for the sequel.

Wunderbar

Arcane
TEW2 have lost a bit of quirk due to its generic setting, but it's still massively a better game than TEW1.

Long-term resource management? In TEW1 carrying capacity is ridiculously small. 12 revolver rounds, 4 shotgun shells, 5 matchsticks - are you kidding me? Because of that you can't even stockpile resources, you just can't pick up more without spending tons of gel on capacity upgrades. Since the whole game is basically one linear tunnel with occasional arenas with wave-based fights, resource conservation doesn't exist - you carry jackshit, spend it all in mere seconds, and immediately restock by looting corpses. In TEW2 on the other hand your small capacity is compensated by crafting. You can carry an infinite amount of crafting components, but you can only take advantage of them by using a workbench in a save room. Effectively it's an item box from RE, just looks different (and obviously a bit popamolized). A huge improvement over TEW1, which only had craftable crossbow ammo.

Big maps is another improvement over cramped TEW1. They give you some time to breath between linear story segments, they give you an opportunity to restock on supplies by exploring, they give you a certain degree of freedom by allowing you to plan your way and stealth by or ambush enemies, they even punish player for carelessness with dangerous roaming enemies. I've read some complaints about "oh no, the evil within goes open world!", and this is bullshit - those two maps aren't even that big and can be skipped in just a few minutes if you don't feel like exploring.

this is actually one of my few regret purchase this year. i shoul dhave picked RE2make (which is newer AND damn cheaper. fuck bethesda regional pricing).
you're saying like there are a lot of survival horrors. A whopping 4 games in 3 years.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
How good is the stealth in these games? I'm not a huge survival horror fan but I've heard these can be more stealth games if you want to play them that way. Asking because they're cheap in a current GOG sale.

Not great in the sense of a real stealth game where things like sound on different surfaces/camo/etc matter but you can handle the vast majority of enemies through either sneaking past or stealth kills. Think of it as a Resident Evil 4 except with slightly larger areas and enemies susceptible to the usual sneak behind them and takedown gameplay.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Not great in the sense of a real stealth game where things like sound on different surfaces/camo/etc matter but you can handle the vast majority of enemies through either sneaking past or stealth kills. Think of it as a Resident Evil 4 except with slightly larger areas and enemies susceptible to the usual sneak behind them and takedown gameplay.

Thanks. I guess what I'm getting at is that I'm not a huge fan of the combat in games like Silent Hill and RE, or the mechanic of running past shit awkwardly. I saw videos of TEW2 though where you're avoiding enemies stealthily, or sneaking up behind monsters and gutting them, and that's the kind of shit I can get down with.

Thanks. I guess what I'm getting at is that I'm not a huge fan of the combat in games like Silent Hill and RE, or the mechanic of running past shit awkwardly.

Nobody is a fan of combat in original SH or RE, it's simply there as part of resource management while you are exploring levels and solving progression puzzles. Not that it has jack shit to do with TEW games, it's your regular third person shooter combat. From what I recall TEW2 allows for a lot more stealth than first one, but playing either of them for stealth would be pretty retarded in my opinion.

ultimanecat

Arcane
In EW2, at least, the short answer is that enemies don’t respawn. The long answer is that enemies do repopulate areas after doing certain things and the game does a decent job of never letting you feel like you are completely safe to wander around.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom