Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter The Executioner - CYOA horror RPG about the psychology of medieval torturers

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/project...xecutioner-a-horror-rpg-about-a-monster-in-ev
Steam Greenlight: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=918285895

https://executionergame.com

This seems rather Aworian. From the Codex inbox:

Hello

My name is Fuad, I am the head of the team Lesser Evil Games. We working on game "The Executioner", a RPG Horror about the psychology of medieval torturers.

It's a horror game about what's lurking in our consciousness and how difficult it is to remain human when your job is to hurt and kill people.

We go to Kickstarter on April 18 and we would be super grateful if you could write about us at 18th or 19th of April in any social or other channel.

Demo of the game: http://executionergame.com/new-demo/
Art and press release: https://goo.gl/t3j09V

We will be glad to any feedback and any forms of cooperation or partnership!

Best regards,
Fuad Kuliev

Here's somebody's LP video:

Last edited:
Googled that Fuad Kuliev, and lol'd
Фуад Кулиев
Геймдизайнер, настольные и ролевые игры, драматургия, нарратив
Фуад 15 лет занимается организацией живых игр для групп от 2 до 100 игроков, в которые входили настольные, кабинетные и полевые игры. Его основная специализация - драматические сюжеты направленные на сильное эмоциональное сопереживания персонажам игры, с дальнейшей рефлексией изменений переносимых в реальную жизнь участников.
Given that I've participated in LARPS, played and GMd various campaigns since '99, I can probably put "Gamedisigner, tabletop and role-playing games, dramaturgy and narrative - 18 years of experience!" into my Linkedin too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Why are tortures always "medieval"... I guess people didn't know how to torture in ancient times, in early-modern era or in 20th century or even today... oh wait.
No seriously, is it only me who finds the connection of these two words (torture / medieval) ridiculous ?

Nitpicking again, damn i need to stop, bad for health...

megidolaon

Kyoto Cybernetics
Developer
Why are tortures always "medieval"... I guess people didn't know how to torture in ancient times, in early-modern era or in 20th century or even today... oh wait.
No seriously, is it only me who finds the connection of these two words (torture / medieval) ridiculous ?

Nitpicking again, damn i need to stop, bad for health...

Medieval technology made torture more efficient, varied, and creative than the olden days where it was otherwise just a gaggle of hysterical caterwauling hut dwellers clubbing someone in the ankles with rocks.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Medieval technology made torture more efficient, varied, and creative than the olden days where it was otherwise just a gaggle of hysterical caterwauling hut dwellers clubbing someone in the ankles with rocks.

The medieval era didn't occur immediately after the Stone Age.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Here's the Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/project...xecutioner-a-horror-rpg-about-a-monster-in-ev

bb16425a690ad6b0c4164ba479e723af_original.png

You're the executioner, and there's a criminal strapped to the chair in front of you. What do you do? Torture till you get a confession or risk angering your employer? Do you satisfy the crowd’s thirst for cruelty or grant a merciful death to the man you’re not even sure is guilty?

We at Lesser Evil Games are creating The Executioner to put such choices in front of the player. Starting with Ludum Dare 37 where we launched a bare-bones version of the game we’ve been hard at work turning it into what it was meant to be:

An RPG horror that puts you in the shoes of a man who tortures people for a living and has to fight to preserve his own waning sanity.

5d701778cb6321589d87e76af656e409_original.png

Hapless victim in the torture chamber

It’s a game about the price we pay both for cruelty and for mercy, about how much you’re willing to sacrifice to get to the truth — or to satisfy a bloodthirsty crowd and your exalted employer. It is a quest of self-discovery. Like Philip Zimbardo and Stanley Milgram the game asks:
  • Do you know who you are?
  • How far are you willing to go?
  • Do you want to live this way?
With your help we want turn our prototype into a rich experience with fleshed-out characters, gripping gameplay, art and soundtrack and a story that might help answer those questions. With a dash of pain and despair on top.

Neanderthal

Arcane
For me this int as interestin as it could be cos on undisputable bad image on a torturer, now a man driven to torture by exceptional circumstances is interestin, professional torturer not so much to me. I think perfect example is redcoats o Siege o Badajoz in Peninsula War, after losin five thousand brothers an friends in assault on walls they went (perhaps understandably) mad, rapin, lootin an killin innocents an even officers who tried to stop em. Then they probably went back to bein good men, lovin fathers, brother an sons who would maybe even be ashamed o their conduct or struggle to come to terms with it.

The monster is bein a monster and true to its nature, the man who acts like a monster an then returns to normality, sanity an morality is far more interestin in my book.

Fuad

Lesser Evil Games
Developer
Hi guys, magic of google show me this place and if you want I can answer on questions how we decide to release the game about "contemporary radical Muslims and moderate rebels" philosophy.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hi guys, magic of google show me this place and if you want I can answer on questions how we decide to release the game about "contemporary radical Muslims and moderate rebels" philosophy.

Will you get an editor who can into English? Because your texts really need an editor who can write gooder English.

Repressed Homosexual
These games with gimmicky premises that purport to offer "intelligent moral choices" are just a cover for Mellennials who are not clever or qualified enough to come up with good gameplay.

Sure, I'm going to trust someone who grew up liking 9gag memes on Facebook in his parents' basement to come up with the depth of a Balzac or Dostoyevsky novel. It's just ridiculous.

Fuad

Lesser Evil Games
Developer

Does your game feature rape?

Nope, we have some boundaries. We don't want to make a fetish simulator or some toy to tease when you are mentaly ill. So we try to not cross some lines. We plan to speak about the rape as an instrument of torture, but we think that the real rape in immersive roleplaying game isn't good idea.

Will you get an editor who can into English? Because your texts really need an editor who can write gooder English.

Yes, we going to do that, because we really need him.

P.S.
Sorry, I will be pretty slow in answers. All my replies are going through premoderation first because I just registered here.

Fuad

Lesser Evil Games
Developer
These games with gimmicky premises that purport to offer "intelligent moral choices" are just a cover for Mellennials who are not clever or qualified enough to come up with good gameplay.

Sure, I'm going to trust someone who grew up liking 9gag memes on Facebook in his parents' basement to come up with the depth of a Balzac or Dostoyevsky novel. It's just ridiculous.

So that the main reason - we too are tired of games 9gag memes deep. I don't pretend to be Balzac or Dostoyevsky, but I want to try :) And I'm tottaly don't want to do another run of a mill game.

About gameplay, we could do this game simply by series of choices, like choose-your-own-adventure book, but then it became much less immersive. When game ask you "Rip out his eyes" or "Just intimidate him" you don't take this choice close to heart. But when you make this decision yourself based on your gameplay resource managment problems, you can't put the blame on the authors so easily, it was your conscious choice after all.

Fuad

Lesser Evil Games
Developer
For me this int as interestin as it could be cos on undisputable bad image on a torturer, now a man driven to torture by exceptional circumstances is interestin, professional torturer not so much to me. I think perfect example is redcoats o Siege o Badajoz in Peninsula War, after losin five thousand brothers an friends in assault on walls they went (perhaps understandably) mad, rapin, lootin an killin innocents an even officers who tried to stop em. Then they probably went back to bein good men, lovin fathers, brother an sons who would maybe even be ashamed o their conduct or struggle to come to terms with it.

The monster is bein a monster and true to its nature, the man who acts like a monster an then returns to normality, sanity an morality is far more interestin in my book.

sanity an morality is far more interestin in my book

You might find this interesting: https://www.amazon.com/Madness-Civilization-History-Insanity-Reason/dp/067972110X

And I would recommend this one at least in context of The Executioner https://www.amazon.com/Lucifer-Effect-Understanding-Good-People/dp/0812974441/

Fuad

Lesser Evil Games
Developer
So.....am I to understand there is no combat?

Cuz it's kind of hard to call this an RPG without SOME sort of combat.

We move combat out of Kickstarter goal, because we want to make goal as small as possible. But Combat is first of stretch goal and we speak about it in updates soon. I can show you our early combat interface

If we didn't make this stretch, then combat will be just series of choices.

Fuad

Lesser Evil Games
Developer
I like the concept but wonder if its conflating intelligence gathering, confession extraction, punitive/retributive, and public spectacle functions of torturers and executioners. I am also concerned that you will approach this subject with too modern sensibilities instead of being historically grounded and steeped in the religious culture of the medieval period.

We have:
-Intelligence gathering about past of the victim as a main source for moving plot forward
-Confession extraction as main target of the torture session (Judge doesn't worry if victim is innocent, only confession matters)
-Executioner as main person of public spectacle and instrument of controlling crowd anger and fear

But of course we children of modern age and despite the fact that we spent a lot of effort on historical research, the main focus of the game is modern. In the first place it focuses not on religion and the world around hero, but on what is inside him and in his mind. Although if we talk about religion and game world, we try to describe details here: http://executionergame.com/global-variables/

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom