Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Eye of the Beholder Thread

Damn, look at all these cats discussing dungeon crawlers. Probably because of all the rats.

Joonas

Arcane
Developer
I knew that the Amiga AGA-versions have automap but I wanted to play EOBs with DOSBox so I created an automapping tool. I also added an option to make backups of your save games because EOB 1 has only a save slot.

It's real-time meaning that the map layout is read from the memory and updated constantly. It's quite a hack but I succesfully played through the first EOB with it. I'll probably continue and add support for EOB 2 too.

I've tested with Windows XP and 7 but not with Vista or 8. I used DOSBox 0.74 and EOB1 v1.7 (most abandonware places seem to have this, maybe game collections too).

Screenshots, more info and a download here:
http://personal.inet.fi/koti/jhirvonen/ase/

Cool name

Arcane
Do forgive my impertinence but this is the very definition of :decline: to my eyes.

Please do not take this as a personal offense.

darkling

Educated
Purists be damned, this is nice.

I've always wondered if there was a way to port the end cinematic from the Amiga over to the DOS version.

Looking forward to one for EOB2 :)

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
This is awesome news!

I've tested with Windows XP and 7 but not with Vista or 8. I used DOSBox 0.74 and EOB1 v1.7 (most abandonware places seem to have this, maybe game collections too).

While I know that a v1.4 version exists of the game, the original floppies were v1.6, with v1.7 on the compilation releases. Since I have images of the v1.6 floppy disks, I could try using the All Seeing Eye with it, just for lulz.

As for the "oddities" section, I can add a bit to it:

"Some mage spells listed in the rulebook can not be found as scrolls. Burning Hands, for example. These can be added with the character editor. However most of them don't work and might even crash the game. Burning Hands works and is quite usable."

Correct. The spell can only be gained in-game by resurrecting and recruiting Kirath, the Mage NPC. There are three spells listed in the rulebook that are not included in the game, Protection from Lightning, Stinking Cloud and Cloudkill, of which the first one is a Cleric spell. Knock and Read Magic are in the game files I see, but not in the manual.

"On levels 1, 2, 3 and 5 there are areas that are not accessible by normal means. Maybe some areas used for debugging by the developers."

In the case of levels 1, 2 and 3, that is possible. It could also be an unused game area. There's a Stone Portal on the wall on Level 2. In the case of Level 5, no clue. But there are Giant Spiders in there.

While I hadn't found the Rust Monster inside the wall on Level 9, I did find something else: Surrounding the hallway where you find Beohram's remains ((9,12) through (9,16)) there are squares which contain +4 Adamantite Darts. These darts are different because while you can use them in EOB1, attempting to transfer them over to EOB2 will result in an error message.

"On level 12 there's a huge empty space with nothing there in the lower part of the level."

They just couldn't be bothered to fill it in with walls. Look at Level 10, only half the map space is used there, and they filled it in with walls.

"If you complete all the special quests, you'll get a "bonus party code" in the end. What's this for or was it ever implemented?"

The only thing I know is that you were supposed to send it to SSI as part of some competition. Something like the "Aardwolf" thing for Wolfenstein 3D.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
1.4 was release version and the most popular version on CD compilations. It had several hilarious bugs. Armor wielded in the hand decreased AC, for example.

On levels 1, 2, 3 and 5 there are areas that are not accessible by normal means. Maybe some areas used for debugging by the developers.
It's unfinished area connected by Stone Gem portal. These things were researched in depth in RU.GAME.RPG. There is even version with working Stone Gem, made by using some parts of early unplayable demo.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
1.4 was release version and the most popular version on CD compilations. It had several hilarious bugs. Armor wielded in the hand decreased AC, for example.

On levels 1, 2, 3 and 5 there are areas that are not accessible by normal means. Maybe some areas used for debugging by the developers.

It's unfinished area connected by Stone Gem portal. These things were researched in depth in RU.GAME.RPG. There is even version with working Stone Gem, made by using some parts of early unplayable demo.

I would like to know more.

Also, tested ASE with both DOSBox 0.73 and 0.74. Doesn't work. In both cases it finds the savegame, but not the characters in memory.

Luzur

Good Sir
I knew that the Amiga AGA-versions have automap but I wanted to play EOBs with DOSBox so I created an automapping tool. I also added an option to make backups of your save games because EOB 1 has only a save slot.

It's real-time meaning that the map layout is read from the memory and updated constantly. It's quite a hack but I succesfully played through the first EOB with it. I'll probably continue and add support for EOB 2 too.

Screenshots, more info and a download here:
http://personal.inet.fi/koti/jhirvonen/ase/

thanks little bro, but maybe i could interest you to look into Might and Magic? lots to be done there.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
I would like to know more.

Eye of the Beholder version 1.9, based on Demo version 1.0
Release - July 11, 2006

- FIXED: All faulty Items and identifications. This includes the STONE GEM
- FIXED: Maps. All rooms unfinished in 1.4 are good for visitation
- FIXED: Joining NPCs. Beohram IS a paladin etc.
- FIXED: Some minor bugs.
- Feature: Poisons are NOT clearly marked "poison" :)
- Feature: No problems with Bones, disappearing or left after resurrection

http://hopeless.death.kiev.ua/EotB1_9.zip
Just try it. You can find Stone Gem on the mantis level. Also google translate "EotB1faq.rus" from this archive, you can find interesting information.

I also had this Demo 1.0 somewhere...

Kirtai

Augur
Interesting, I wonder if the latest ScummVM nightlies could be convinced to play this version. (EoB 1&2 support just went in recently)

made

Arcane
Hahahahaha. PC peasants still playing catch-up with superior Amiga platform. Some things never change.

Kirtai

Augur
I don't remember automapping in the Amiga version, I think I even still have my hand drawn maps of it mouldering somewhere.

Was there really an AGA only version?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Automapping was added to an AGA version of EOB1 and EOB2 about five years ago.

I read through that Russian EOB FAQ - I loved the bug they describe. From what I could tell, if you killed a weak monster with a powerful enough attack (like fireballing a Kobold) then the monster's hit points would "wrap around" and it would still be alive with LOADS of hit points. :)

Joonas

Arcane
Developer
If you have problems getting ASE to work, please let me know what Windows and game version you're using and you could also send me your save file (EOBDATA.SAV).

Yes, it's 2006 fan-made version that uses converted VGA graphics:

http://eob.wikispaces.com/EOB1+AGA+GAME
http://eob.wikispaces.com/EOB2+AGA+GAME

Fowyr,
thanks for the info and 1.9 link. I just tried it, quite impressive. Couldn't get google translator to translate that russian FAQ very well though.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
From what I could gather from the Russian FAQ, most of it revolves around getting answers to certain puzzles or parts of the game - like whether certain rooms can be accessed or not, and how.

It DOES, however, also have an in-depth analysis of the Stone Gem. A demo version of the game only had Levels 1, 2, 4 and 10, and on the 10th level you could find the Stone Gem. And as most people suspected, using it on the Portal on Level 7 sends you to the Stone Portal on Level 2, in the inaccessible part of the level. Their guess is that this was all part of an unimplemented post-Xanathar quest - to escape back to the surface.

dragonbait

Augur
Yeah, Google Translate outputs mostly garbage. It would not even translate anything until I converted the .rus to .txt. But event the .txt wouldn't generate anything remotely useful. Similarly with babelfish.yahoo.com translation service, er. make that Bing translation now. Damn Yahoo.
Anyways, Does anyone here know enough Russian to make a decent translation of the file? so we can make better sense of it?

darkling

Educated
Wow! Thanks for that EOB1 1.9 link! I honestly had never paid attention to the version numbers of these games before. I figured all the packs available would have the newest but apparently I just had 1.4. Are there any versions of EOB2 past 1.1?

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Edited google translate, first part of Q0.

Q0: Why after victory over Xanathar game just shows two brief pages of text and then ineptly exits to DOS without warning? Where is my promised path to the ground? Where is final cutscene, after all!

A0: It's the main question what tortures anyone who made to the end of this great game of its time. I still don't have full information to this day, but some explanation is present.
The most common opinion:
According to the original plans of game developers (SSI - Westwood) party, after defeating Xanathar, should find the way up (perhaps using Stone Gem).
Indirect evidence to this course of events could be dwarves' words after party releases Prince Keirgar and returns with him (even dead :) ) back.

"Lore has it there is an ancient throne room about seven levels down. In the throne room, there is a secret door in the north wall. The door opens to a long underground passageway, which should take you to the lands just east of Waterdeep. "
For some reason this game ending was not implemented, but game still has unfinished snippets of exit to the ground (look at Q3/A3, Q8/A8). Allegedly, SSI even apologized to consumers for the unfinished product...
There is also a legends that somewhere exists version of the game with complete ending. For example, all are sure what Amiga has complete ending. So, I personally checked this legend walking through the entire game on the emulator from start to finish. (It was, by the way, terrible - I found only the German version :) )
The result of test :
Version 1.4 PC (the one, which was played by majority of players) and Amiga's version 1.0 don't have any difference, except one little thing. After you defeat Xanathar on the Amiga you will see two pages of brief text and then (If all 12 Special Quests were done)... cutscene where brave adventurers bring severed beholder's eye to the lords of Waterdeep, thus becoming heroes. After that game ineptly, without warning, exits to the AmigaDOS!
I also checked the version of first EOB (1994) for a game console Super Nintendo Entertainment System (on the emulator "ZSNES"). Unfortunately, the final it is the same as in version 1.4 PC.
PC versions 1.6 and 1.7 have a purely cosmetic changes from popular 1.4.
Another interesting thing may be the fact what there is passage about 13 (!) levels on the cover of SEGA CD version. However, perhaps this is a mistake.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Today it's the only reliable information on this issue, although there is a strange story (August 1996) of a remained unknown man, who, allegedly, finished full game.
Conditions:
- All 12 special quests should be done.
- Find Stone Gem somewhere at 7-8 level (?) (Q10/A10)
- Drive Xanathar into a trap with a Sylvius wand (SQ #12);
- After the death of Xanathar side wall will be opened (?), allowing passage to a small room with a teleporter (portal?) to Level 7;
- Portal, activated by Stone Gem (and why you couldn't do it before, Stone Gem was found long ago?), should be used on level 7.
- Party can travel through portal to the level 1, where descends to level 3 and meets Dwarf King (?)
- Whether you should to heal the king or he should already be cured, but ending cutscene will be shown.
Of course, it is possible that this man mistaken somewhere, but it seems too much information...
By the way, if you extract file OUTTAKE.CPS from "archive" EOBDATA3.PAK, you can find not used in the game image of Dwarf King. It was also proposed that there was a complete version of the game on the "Eye Of The Beholder
Trilogy" CD, released by SSI in 1993 and containing entire series. Alas! Witnesses refute this hypothesis :-(
It is possible that we must not look for the most recent, but some very early or Beta-version, because some reports indicate that in it could be implemented (albeit with errors) complete ending, Stone Gem and other cool features (look at Q9/A9, Q10/A10).

Kirtai

Augur

Yes, it's 2006 fan-made version that uses converted VGA graphics:

http://eob.wikispaces.com/EOB1 AGA GAME
http://eob.wikispaces.com/EOB2 AGA GAME
Interesting, thanks for the links. Though I suppose an automap defeats the purpose of the invisible teleports that turn you around to mess up your mapping if you don't spot the compass shift.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom