Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The fall of golden fall.

PompiPompi

Man with forever hair
Patron
Developer
RPG Wokedex

I am a new user and I wasn't sure where to post this.
I made a little RPG game called Golden Fall and is available on Steam.
I gave the RPGCodex curator a key, but didn't see any review from them.
Is it ok to post about my game here?

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:

PompiPompi

Man with forever hair
Patron
Developer
RPG Wokedex
I think it's a fun game.
It's not too long, you get all the accumulate gold/xp/equipment/skills stuff.
There are secret areas and riddles.
I think it's kind of fun.
Like I was told "No Baldur's gate, but pretty addictive"

PompiPompi

Man with forever hair
Patron
Developer
RPG Wokedex
My programming skills are pretty good.
Programming needs a lot of hours invested, regardless of skill.
I know this game is a bit lacking in Polish and some basic stuff. But overall it's the first fun game I made gameplay wise.
I did sell more than 10 copies though.
Probably half of the time developing this game was just playtesting and finding the right balance in monsters/level design.

SniperHF

Arcane
The PC looks like the wannabe dentist elf from Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer.

IV40hL5.png

Absinthe

Arcane
I am a new user and I wasn't sure where to post this. I made a little RPG game called Golden Fall and is available on Steam.
Nothing about this game is remotely impressive, tbh. The UI is also lousy, as it doesn't precisely indicate health values and so on, plus it looks like screen clutter (the 1-8 bar and rage button in particular).

I gave the RPGCodex curator a key, but didn't see any review from them.
I honestly doubt it will get reviewed. Seems beneath notice, honestly. I'd much rather play nethack or some roguelike over this.

Is it ok to post about my game here?
Codex Workshop board is best for soliciting feedback or hawking your own games, tbh. You can post it in General RPG though.

My programming skills are pretty good.
You used Unity to make this. This doesn't take a pre-built game engine. The fact that you used one anyway says something about your need to use crutches to create software.

Programming needs a lot of hours invested, regardless of skill.
Quite false. Skill makes a massive difference in the amount of time expended to program something. That's because good programmers can more easily think up efficient ways to write software, while bad programmers have to spend a lot of time contemplating basic stuff and write bloated code to boot. Based on what I've seen, a game like this can be developed from scratch in 1 day by a good programmer.

I know this game is a bit lacking in Polish and some basic stuff. But overall it's the first fun game I made gameplay wise.
I did sell more than 10 copies though.
Probably half of the time developing this game was just playtesting and finding the right balance in monsters/level design.
If gameplay is your strong suit, then let me point out that there's minimal explanation of the gameplay on your store page. A game footage video was a decent call, but neither the footage nor the store page text explains how the game really operates. We don't really get any insight into various attack types and enemies, which is a problem if you're trying to convince people that it's tactical and has good gameplay. All we see in your video is the most basic exchange of auto-attacks, which is pretty lousy and boring, even if you put ridiculous dramatic music on it.

Last edited:

PompiPompi

Man with forever hair
Patron
Developer
RPG Wokedex
I don't think you can make this game in 1 day, lol.
It's a lot more work than it seems.
Of course a skilled programmer can do a lot more in the same amount of time, but he still need to invest a lot of hours.
Making games take a lot of time to make.

For instance using Unity saves a lot of work than using C++.
I know how to code in C++ and do it at work. But it's a bit pointless to code such a game from scratch in C++.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback.

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
At least he came to the right place if he needs some Polish.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom