Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News The Game Awards 2019: Disco Elysium wins everything, Raf Colantonio's Weird West, and other nonsense

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by Infinitron, Dec 13, 2019.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Tags: CD Projekt; Cyberpunk 2077; Disco Elysium; Raphael Colantonio; Weird West; Wolfeye Studios; ZA/UM

Another year is coming to its end, and as we know the last chance to announce something important before the year ends is at Geoff Keighley's annual Game Awards event. So what did we get yesterday? Unfortunately Baldur's Gate III did not show up, nor did any Outer Worlds DLC. There was some other stuff though, like a Cyberpunk 2077 behind-the-scenes soundtrack featurette, a teaser for some sort of League of Legends turn-based RPG called Ruined King, a new trailer for the Gears of War turn-based tactics game announced last year, and a hilariously awful trailer for a new D&D co-op action-RPG called Dark Alliance. For the Codex, the most potentially interesting announcement at the event was probably Weird West, an unexpectedly isometric action-RPG by WolfEye Studios, the new company launched by Arkane Studios founder Raf Colantonio and revealed to the public last month. While the announcement trailer describes the game as an action-RPG, its Steam page refers to it only as an immersive sim. We don't generally cover that sort of thing here, but considering the people involved, I'd say it deserves a shoutout.

As for the actual awards, the biggest winner of the evening was none other than Disco Elysium, which ended up winning the awards for best RPG, best narrative, best indie game and best indie game from a new studio. That almost makes up for having to watch three hours of crap.

• incline x 13
    • Brofist x 5
    • Funny x 3
    • decline x 2
    • Merry Christmas! x 1
    • Participation Award x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • meh x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    • Shit x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Mr. Magniloquent Savant

Mr. Magniloquent
    Not sold on the art direction, but far too early to criticize. Weird West is a great setting and the original Deadlands mechanics had many virtues. Will watch. Thanks for the news.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Bro, do you even lift? Bro, do you even lift? x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. mondblut Arcane

mondblut
    How the mighty adventure games have fallen. They don't even have an award of their own these days?

• Brofist x 4
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • retadred x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • not sure if serious x 1
    • decline x 1
    • Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. V_K Arcane

V_K
    It should at least pretend to have puzzles to qualify for Adventure category. And visual novels never had one.
    Speaking of puzzles, Baba Is You losing to a visual novel is a travesty. Baba Is You losing to any game is a travesty, frankly, but this is travesty squared.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. aratuk Arbiter

aratuk
    For some people, an RPG must have combat to rise above adventure. For some others, the presence of character stats disqualifies it as adventure.

I would say that numerical character individuation, and the explicit effect it has on dice rolls, plus level progression, probably make it more RPG than adventure.

YMMV.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. mondblut Arcane

mondblut
    Hidden Object Game, then?

• Merry Christmas! Merry Christmas! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    A new game from former Arkane guys was my 2nd most anticipated news, after the rumored Elden Ring gameplay, but this is a downer. It looks p. bad and if it's anything like Hard West then thanks, one Wild West XCOM-like just about covers my lifetime needs.

^ Top  
  8. Valky Arcane Manlet

Valky
    Lilura was right. Disco in top ten is imminent. You don't even need to have gameplay to qualify as a video game now.

• retadred x 8
    • Despair x 5
    • Brofist x 1
    • Merry Christmas! x 1
    • Participation Award x 1
    • not sure if serious x 1
    • decline x 1
    • Edgy x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Grampy_Bone Magister

Grampy_Bone
    Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
    Disco derpfest fans should be livid. This proves its a game for hipster posers who want to sound cool not a serious RPG. How man decent RPGs even came out this year? You don't want to like something that wins popularity rewards, otherwise Skyrim is the best RPG of all time.

• retadred retadred x 4
    • butthurt butthurt x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Valky Arcane Manlet

Valky
    Legends of Amberland.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. MicoSelva Prestigious Gentleman Don't call Abigail Patron

MicoSelva
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    The show is still a joke, but maybe it will get there eventually. Maybe...?

I liked the silence in the audience when Disco Elysium won best narrative over Death Stranding.

Also lol @ award for best RPG being given off-screen (unless I missed it when I was skipping through commercials and crap content?). If Bioware and/or Bethesda games were nominated, this would be one of the on-stage awards with a host and dramatic envelope opening.

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    Yeah what was the shit with giving awards off screen, even major ones like best action adventure or best RPG?

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  13. Elex Scholar

Elex
    look all the comment that don’t know what an RPG is!

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. ArchAngel Arcane

ArchAngel
    I need a link to the video showing this. Death Stranding was a terrible game in both gameplay and story, it just being nominated was already hilarious. Winning would be worse travesty than when Obama won Peace Nobel for doing nothing.

^ Top  
  15. Fowyr Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Fowyr
    Disco Elysium is not an RPG, but still a great adventure game with RPG elements.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Balanced Balanced x 2
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. eric__s ass hater Developer

eric__s
    They weren't given off-screen, they just didn't happen. They cut a bunch of awards to make room for more ads.

• gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Junmarko Goomba Patron

Junmarko
    Glad Raff came back after a long holiday. Everything the guy worked on has been pure

:incline:

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Dr Schultz Scholar

Dr Schultz
    I'd love to know how many users that disqualify Disco Elysium as an RPG have ever played an actual tabletop RPG in their entire life (and I case what RPG this was)... I’m pretty sure this would be a quite amusing poll...

• M'lady M'lady x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. V_K Arcane

V_K
    I might only have a very minor TT experience, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't involve answering multiple-choice questions all the time.

• Funny Funny x 5
    ^ Top  
  20. Morality Games Arcane Patron

Morality Games
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    A Western-skinned version of Shadowrun/Arcanum with dwarves, elves, wizards, etc would be my guiltiest of guilty pleasures. It's basically my dream game (well, after Ravenloft).

Still, I welcome any RPG studio to try a Western game, it isn't one of those concepts that is failed from the start (being a Western is half of what makes Fallout 1-2 + New Vegas good).

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  21. Dr Schultz Scholar

Dr Schultz

I, for my part, have a quite decent experience at least in terms of variety. Aside for the obvious difference (the proverbial elephant in the room) that Disco Elysium is a single player videogame while TT PRGs are inherently cooperative experiences, I'd say it mimics quite faithfully what happened in a session of a investigative system like Gumshoe.

^ Top  
  22. V_K Arcane

V_K
    We've been over this multiple times with regard to AoD, PST or whatever. Dialog trees do not mimic TT experience anywhere near faithfully because a) they present you all the possible solutions on a silver plate (there's no thinking involved in coming up with one) and b) they limit your options to what is scripted - both of which vastly diminish the player's creative agency. While the latter is a fundamental limitation of video game medium (although I think AI Dungeon has something to say about that), there are many ways to alleviate the former - like using a parser, for example.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Junmarko Goomba Patron

Junmarko
    :hahyou:

I'd be curious to know how many that qualify it as a CRPG have ever completed one, or any video game for that matter. Apparently not many, with "story mode difficulty" showing up everywhere and people who view the complete absense of challenge as a "trait".

• Agree Agree x 2
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Dr Schultz Scholar

Dr Schultz

I pretty much agree with that. Actually, I totally agreed with that. Period.

Point is: I can't see how games perceived as full flaged RPGs here around are more faithful adaptations than Disco...

I can't speak for the others, but the first CRPG I've completed was Ultima IV, the last one (before Disco) was Stygian.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Junmarko Goomba Patron

Junmarko
    I don't believe you, but good effort using Ultima like that lol.

• retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)